News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Talossan playing cards, redux

Started by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP, April 12, 2023, 05:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Back in 2019, I designed a set of Talossan playing cards. Two days ago, I decided to do it again, for some reason. Here is the result.

The four suits are:
  • bedposts / torps (clubs),
  • daggers / tuzalts (spades),
  • lanterns / lanternăs (hearts), and
  • bence / bents (diamonds).

I'm not much of an artist, as such I based the court card designs very heavily on the playing cards commonly in use in Morocco, which some slight twists: Jacks are meant to look like hunters, based on their Talossan name (lançeir, lit. "shooter"), the Knights (the southern Mediterranean equivalent to Queen cards) are supposed to be female though I believe I failed at that, and Kings are inspired by this silly image of Ben.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to iterate on these designs if you like.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

This is unbelievably amazing! Wow!
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Üc R. Tärfă

As a Mediterranean myself I'm very familiar with those designs. I like them a lot, especially the King! May I suggest

- to use the same "Ben" symbol is used in our coat of arms and a more golden shade? Those heavy symbols and the dark gold/orange make me think of Dragon Balls and not bents ;D 

- to flip figures in 2 suits left facing? This would give them a more realistic flavour to other cards designs.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)

Quote from: Üc R. Tärfă on April 13, 2023, 01:50:42 AMMay I suggest [...]
- to flip figures in 2 suits left facing? This would give them a more realistic flavour to other cards designs.

I changed the suits of lanterns and bents to have left-facing figures. Let me know what you think.

Üc R. Tärfă

I still get the "dragon ball feeling" with that symbol and colou, but I'd like the flipped figure: they're definitely more real! I'd love t play with them 😂

BTW: on 2 and 1 the Ben symbol is not coloured.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

These are great! I wish the smaller images had similar detail to the larger ones (such as the Ace or 2), but I understand that it may get lost in the smaller sizes.

Did you leave the Ace and 2 of bents as outlines on purpose, instead of filling them with black like the rest of that suit?

I would love to see if we could get these into production and maybe even develop some Talossan card games!
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Quote from: Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat on April 13, 2023, 10:52:03 AMDid you leave the Ace and 2 of bents as outlines on purpose, instead of filling them with black like the rest of that suit?

Yes I did, originally I had planned to have them all be outlines but I quickly realised that this wouldn't work.

Audrada Roibeardet

Great minds think alike, I had a similar idea awhile back. Except, I was planning to design a 40 card deck instead of the more standard 52 card deck. Thought Talossa could go it's own way with playing cards.

Iason Taiwos

We Cjovani made a 75 card deck (Cartas Cjovani) with five suits...apple, trumpet, dagger, star and flame, as well as a couple of games using such cards. (One such game, kintoufle, is like a cross between chess and poker.) (We also briefly worked on a tarot/fortune-telling deck.) (I applaud you for actually getting the card designs done. When I said we made a deck, I meant that it is just at the "drawings on notebook paper" stage.) (Is there money in the bank to get a few of these Talossan decks made? I think Vitx and I once looked up how much it costs to print playing cards, and it wasn't as expensive as we would have thought.)

Quote from: Audrada Roibeardet on April 13, 2023, 03:23:02 PMGreat minds think alike, I had a similar idea awhile back. Except, I was planning to design a 40 card deck instead of the more standard 52 card deck. Thought Talossa could go it's own way with playing cards.

I figured it was easier to shorten a long deck than it is to extend a short deck, and with 52 cards you have the flexibility to play most games.

I'd like to add that a 52 card deck isn't that standard where I'm from! Most decks I've seen are 32 cards, that is pre-shortened for games like Skat.

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

Quote from: Iason Taiwos on April 13, 2023, 04:07:01 PMWe Cjovani made a 75 card deck (Cartas Cjovani) with five suits...apple, trumpet, dagger, star and flame, as well as a couple of games using such cards. (One such game, kintoufle, is like a cross between chess and poker.) (We also briefly worked on a tarot/fortune-telling deck.) (I applaud you for actually getting the card designs done. When I said we made a deck, I meant that it is just at the "drawings on notebook paper" stage.) (Is there money in the bank to get a few of these Talossan decks made? I think Vitx and I once looked up how much it costs to print playing cards, and it wasn't as expensive as we would have thought.)

Once the budget is approved, MinCulture has set aside 66¤40 ($100 USD) for Culture Initiative Support Fund grants. I think this falls well within the eligible category for such a grant.
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Iason Taiwos

Vitx is currently working in a game store as a summer job (they sell Dungeons and Dragons stuff, board games, and trading card games)...well, apparently this place has the capabilities of printing custom cards. I'm going to get with him and see if we can print a sample deck using Marcel's designs, just to see how it turns out. I'll keep y'all posted.