Translation please.

Started by Tric'hard Lenxheir, May 06, 2023, 09:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tric'hard Lenxheir

I looked it up on l'oversteir and it gave multiple possibilities for each word. My Talossan Cycling Association team name is "Dead Last" (as in last place). How would I translate this into Talossan?
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

This is actually really tricky, because the phrase "dead last" doesn't exist outside of English, so it's difficult to translate. Until others would like to chime in, the best I can offer would be to translate "last place" instead, which would be something like Dirnalaiset Pläts (DEER-nah-lie-suht PLATS) I guess.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Miestră Schivă, UrN

When I'm asked to expand Talossan vocabulary, I always go to my second Romance language, French, in which the best translation for "dead last" would be "bon dernier". Could we adopt that as an idiom in Talossan - ben as a modifier meaning "certainly, well, good-and"? So, Ben Dirnalaiset in this case? That could even be someone's name

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on May 07, 2023, 05:06:42 PMSo, Ben Dirnalaiset in this case? That could even be someone's name

That specifically sounds like a parody on Ben's regal name Ben Pirmalaiset. Which is hilarious, but I don't know if it's a desired effect.

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Funny thing is the words you guys are using aren't even what is on L'Oversteir. On there "dead" is either "moart" or "mortescu" and "last" is "lastar" "dirnalaiset" or "lasteu" you did use "dirnalaiset" for last

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on May 07, 2023, 07:16:34 PMFunny thing is the words you guys are using aren't even what is on L'Oversteir. On there "dead" is either "moart" or "mortescu" and "last" is "lastar" "dirnalaiset" or "lasteu" you did use "dirnalaiset" for last

You have to be careful when translating fixed expressions. Sometimes it works, but more often than not (like with "dead last") it doesn't, and you have to use something else. That's why we didn't translate the "dead" part literally.

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on May 07, 2023, 07:22:14 PM
Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on May 07, 2023, 07:16:34 PMFunny thing is the words you guys are using aren't even what is on L'Oversteir. On there "dead" is either "moart" or "mortescu" and "last" is "lastar" "dirnalaiset" or "lasteu" you did use "dirnalaiset" for last

You have to be careful when translating fixed expressions. Sometimes it works, but more often than not (like with "dead last") it doesn't, and you have to use something else. That's why we didn't translate the "dead" part literally.

Languages have always been difficult for me. Even after 13 years of grammar in american schools I still have trouble with English LOL