Ensegnhetz-se Talossan (Teach Yourself Talossan)

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, June 04, 2023, 07:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I was talking to s:reu Tafial the other day and I realised the absolute generation gap between us when he told me he'd never seen a "Teach Yourself" (self-study) language book. Before Duolingo and its idiot cousins, that's how we ancient wanna-be polyglots used to fool ourselves into thinking we were learning new languages. :D

Anyway, now we're keen to try to create something similar for ár glheþ. This is actually something which I tried to do back during the National Schism; but when I posted my first trial dialogues, Sir Tomás popped into tell me I'd got the language all wrong, and I was so ashamed I stopped. Anyway, here they are for historical purposes (note ancient 1990s-era orthography):

QuoteEnsegñetz-Së Talossán, Capitél Viêns: Cunfavelaziuns
Ián: Azul! Va nôminâ, c'è Ián. ¿És la voastra?
Juliâ: Azul! Eu sînt Juliâ. Eś qi estetz-voi?
Tomás:  Eu sînt Tomás.
Ián: Méirçi. À revidarë!
Juliâ: À revidarë.

Ián: Eu sînt citaxhiên del Regipäts Talossán. ¿Daduve vetz?
Juliâ: Eu véu dàl Repúblicâ Talossán.
Ián: Tomás, ¿estez-voi Talossán?
Tomás: Non, eu non sînt Talossán. Voi embù estetz Talossáes, ¿oi?
Juliâ és Ián: Üc, noi embù sînt Talossáes.

Carlostâ: Escusetz-me, siôridâ!
Juliâ: ¿Üc...?
Carlostâ: ¿Parletz-voi Talossán!
Juliâ: Üc. Eu parleu Talossán és Angleascâ.
Carlostâ: Grült! Voi parletz ocså Tschec, ¿oi?
Juliâ: Non, va c'hupâ. Eu non parleu Tschec.

Nôminâs dels Glheþen

Talossán; Svensc'heu; Tütsch; Tschec; Francál
Ôirësch; Norvexhán; Talián; Angleascâ; Castetxán

Ensegñhistà: Bunâ ziuâ, siôridâ Juliâ.
Juliâ: Bunâ ziuâ, estimat ensegñhistà. ¿Com'estetz-Voi?
Ensegñhistà: Ben, méirçi. És voi?
Juliâ: Tréi ben, méirçi.
Ensegñistà : Voi vidarhéu crái! À revidarë!
Juliâ : À revidarë, estimat ensegñistà.

Come si zïa în Talossán?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

So yeah! Our goal is to write a Teach Yourself Talossan... book? website?

If anyone would like to volunteer, feel free to tell us in this thread!
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

I started a draft for a Teach Yourself Talossan book a couple of days ago, you can find it here.

Since I'm not sure yet what to even teach, much less in what order to teach it, I ask everyone who is interested in this to help me out. You can post comments and suggestions on the link above. I can't do this alone.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Is it possible - as a first draft - to simply "calque" the content of an existing _Teach Yourself_ book? Would that Persian text I sent you be an appropriate model? If not, I've got a dozen others at home

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 09, 2023, 03:02:10 PMWould that Persian text I sent you be an appropriate model? If not, I've got a dozen others at home

I've tried basing it on the Persian one as well but the languages are too different at times. And I looked up Teach Yourself French online and that one isnt a good basis either since it barely explains anything as far as I can tell.

Do you have an Italian version or something? Maybe we can work with that.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on June 09, 2023, 03:21:25 PMDo you have an Italian version or something? Maybe we can work with that.

In fact, I do - and also something in Spanish. Remind me if I forget this weekend.

Iason Taiwos

The Teach Yourself Books usually have accompanying illustrations. Like, the chapter on food/restaurants might have a picture of a chef with plates of particular dishes or cooking ware. My art skills have severely declined from lack of practice, but I would still give it a go to provide illustrations for this endavour. (Don't hold me to it, tho. All I'm saying is, I might try.) Anyhow, I believe I suggested years ago that we needed a "Teach Yourself" kind of thing. (I don't believe for one second that Marcel hadn't ever seen a teach yourself book. Dude has more language books than anybody.)

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 09, 2023, 06:45:21 PMIn fact, I do - and also something in Spanish. Remind me if I forget this weekend.

Bump!

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Marcel and I have copies of Teach Yourself Italian and Teach Yourself Beginner's Italian. Work has commenced.