News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Immigration Discussion

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, June 06, 2023, 10:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

@GV , I'm not sure it's appropriate to keep advertising your party so heavily to prospective immigrants.  You've spammed the same message to twenty-three different immigration threads, and we have a really longstanding prohibition against turning the immigration process into an exercise in partisan recruiting.  I understand that it's not quite spam because you add in a phrase or sentence each time, and that broosking is only unethical and not actually illegal, but is this really the direction we want the country to go?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Considering that the TNC have been monopolising recruitment of new citizens right out of the pipeline for most of the last year, I doubt they have a right to complain about the Free Democrats* attempting to redress the balance. In fact, we might consider that doing so openly is more honest and democratic than doing so via private message, where Allà knows what new recruits to the ruling party are being told.

But in any case GV is only providing information, rather than doing a "sales pitch".

(* GV is acting at his own initiative, this is not an "official" FreeDems venture)

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Breneir Tzaracomprada

As Immigration minister I would respectfully ask @GV to refrain from broosking. While not illegal it is a well-known and usually uncontroversially observed norm to prevent the politicisation of the immigration process itself.

For our many prospective immigrants, broosking is a term for partisan political activity concerning applicant Talossan citizens.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The prohibition against "broosking" is supposed to lead to healthy competition on a fair basis for the political allegiance of new citizens. But if - after no public "broosking" has occurred - every single new citizen who joins a new party joins the current ruling party, the TNC - what are we to think is going on? The Free Democrats are increasingly of the opinion that the immigration process has already been politicised, sub rosa, and it needs public correction.

Of course, I'm sure the current Government thinks it's healthy for democracy that all new citizens should join their party alone. The old RUMP, and King Robert's PC, thought the same.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 06, 2023, 04:37:00 PMThe prohibition against "broosking" is supposed to lead to healthy competition on a fair basis for the political allegiance of new citizens. But if - after no public "broosking" has occurred - every single new citizen who joins a new party joins the current ruling party, the TNC - what are we to think is going on? The Free Democrats are increasingly of the opinion that the immigration process has already been politicised, sub rosa, and it needs public correction.

Of course, I'm sure the current Government thinks it's healthy for democracy that all new citizens should join their party alone. The old RUMP, and King Robert's PC, thought the same.

I am not aware of any broosking or politicisation of the process by the TNC but we do now have voluminous evidence of it from a FreeDem senator. Again, one is speculation. The other is in text throughout these threads. If you have evidence to support the claim of TNC broosking or other politicisation then please bring it forward and I will act on it. Until then, I call out the clear and present partisan politcisation which is being propagated by a FreeDem senator.

I say this with respect for GV. Please stop.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

@Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB Mr. Secretary, would you be able and willing to move the posts coming after GV's post to a new thread here within the Immigration area?

I wanted to separate this discussion from the specific immigrant's application. And also to act with an abundance of caution considering my history with Witt editing attempts..

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 06, 2023, 04:23:53 PMConsidering that the TNC have been monopolising recruitment of new citizens right out of the pipeline for most of the last year, I doubt they have a right to complain about the Free Democrats* attempting to redress the balance. In fact, we might consider that doing so openly is more honest and democratic than doing so via private message, where Allà knows what new recruits to the ruling party are being told.

It's a really bad idea for political parties to begin recruiting prospective immigrants, since it will politicize the process in a way that can't possibly be good for the country.  If political parties start  hectoring potential citizens before they even immigrate, then it's going to lead to really obvious bad outcomes.  We've managed to avoid this for the most part for many many years, completely voluntarily, because as a community we've agreed not to turn the citizenship process into a partisan contest.

You guys are indeed doing this publicly, and I guess that's better than doing it privately, but it's still a really bad idea for the country.  It could start a race to the bottom that would hurt our whole civic life  Even if your party has been having trouble lately, this "unofficial" (winkwink) new approach is not the solution.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 06, 2023, 04:23:53 PMBut in any case GV is only providing information, rather than doing a "sales pitch".

"Vote Free Democrats of Talossa (FREEDEMS).  We speak truth to power, and when we are back in power, we listen to truth from others."
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

This topic was split off from the prospective immigrant's thread and moved to Wittenberg as it is a more appropriate location. Everyone please try not to hijack threads (unintentional or not).

- Sir Txec
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 06, 2023, 04:23:53 PMConsidering that the TNC have been monopolising recruitment of new citizens right out of the pipeline for most of the last year, I doubt they have a right to complain about the Free Democrats* attempting to redress the balance. In fact, we might consider that doing so openly is more honest and democratic than doing so via private message, where Allà knows what new recruits to the ruling party are being told.

But in any case GV is only providing information, rather than doing a "sales pitch".

(* GV is acting at his own initiative, this is not an "official" FreeDems venture)

First, I think it is strange that you, @Miestră Schivă, UrN are speaking on behalf on @GV when this supposedly has nothing to do with you. You have quite a few talking points lined up for something that is not an "official" FreeDems venture. Where is GV to explain his own actions?

Second and more importantly, as one of the new citizens that you are referring to, who immigrated within the last year, I can say that not once did @Breneir Tzaracomprada or any other member of the TNC approach me to join the TNC before I was a citizen. In fact, when I questioned him about TNC's platform, he refused to discuss it until I had fully immigrated!

On top of all that, I didn't even join the TNC fresh out of immigration, I joined in December of last year. A full 9 months after I immigrated because I wasn't sure I wanted to get involved in the political system at all. What was the reason for the reticence? All of the vitriol I saw spewed by members of the FreeDems! These current antics of flooding terps and spamming immigration threads only furthers my point. You can't even comprehend that someone else is doing well without resorting to cheating, and it's sad.

I ultimately joined the TNC because I saw that it was a force of good and charity in Talossa and I wanted to support its mission and promote its positive outlook for a better, friendlier nation.
In case you were looking for the "secret sauce", FreeDems, there's the recipe. If that seems too incomprehensible or puerile to you, perhaps you just need to take a long look in the mirror.
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat on June 06, 2023, 06:33:37 PMWhat was the reason for the reticence? All of the vitriol I saw spewed by members of the FreeDems!

Will Carlüs give three examples of FreeDem "vitriol", please?

QuoteThese current antics of flooding terps

Will Carlüs explains why he thinks the number of Terpelaziuns presented by the current opposition is improper, please?

QuoteYou have quite a few talking points lined up for something that is not an "official" FreeDems venture. Where is GV to explain his own actions?

I can understand that a TNC member might have trouble believing that not everything that members of other parties do is a planned "operation" by the leadership. But GV has limited time for Talossa these days and maybe hasn't even seen how his attempts to advertise have "touched a nerve" with the TNC.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat on June 06, 2023, 06:33:37 PM
Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 06, 2023, 04:23:53 PMAll of the vitriol I saw spewed by members of the FreeDems! These current antics of flooding terps and spamming immigration threads only furthers my point. You can't even comprehend that someone else is doing well without resorting to cheating, and it's sad.

To set the record straight sir, asking terps is most definitely not cheating. It is a hallmark of opposition government in our kingdom.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

To be fair to Carlüs, I think you've parsed his sentence wrong - he's not accusing us of cheating, he's slamming us for suggesting that they might be "cheating".

BTW, if this had been a formal FreeDems "broosking operation", although we love GV dearly, we surely wouldn't have sent him to do the job :D

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat on June 06, 2023, 06:33:37 PMFirst, I think it is strange that you, @Miestră Schivă, UrN are speaking on behalf on @GV when this supposedly has nothing to do with you. You have quite a few talking points lined up for something that is not an "official" FreeDems venture. Where is GV to explain his own actions?

Second and more importantly, as one of the new citizens that you are referring to, who immigrated within the last year, I can say that not once did @Breneir Tzaracomprada or any other member of the TNC approach me to join the TNC before I was a citizen. In fact, when I questioned him about TNC's platform, he refused to discuss it until I had fully immigrated!

On top of all that, I didn't even join the TNC fresh out of immigration, I joined in December of last year. A full 9 months after I immigrated because I wasn't sure I wanted to get involved in the political system at all. What was the reason for the reticence? All of the vitriol I saw spewed by members of the FreeDems! These current antics of flooding terps and spamming immigration threads only furthers my point. You can't even comprehend that someone else is doing well without resorting to cheating, and it's sad.

I ultimately joined the TNC because I saw that it was a force of good and charity in Talossa and I wanted to support its mission and promote its positive outlook for a better, friendlier nation.
In case you were looking for the "secret sauce", FreeDems, there's the recipe. If that seems too incomprehensible or puerile to you, perhaps you just need to take a long look in the mirror.

Hi.

Speaking for myself, I can say that @GV should definitely cut it out. Had I noticed it going on before now I would have advised him of this privately (egg on my face for not keeping up with the immigration threads).

But posting the same canned message over and over again is obviously nowhere near as effective as personal solicitation would be if it were happening. The FreeDems have, I think, reasonable grounds for suspecting that that could have been occurring, although I am happy to hear it was not your experience.

I really don't appreciate you labeling the entire party as vitriolic. Partisan debate is often heated around here, and there is plenty of "vitriol" to be found on all sides if you know where to look. It is very easy to paint a bad picture of someone who is opposite from you politically when you are missing years (decades even) of essential context.

I have been political allies with S:reu Tzaracomprada and Baron Alexandreu just as often as I have opposed them. I am not saying this to score cheap political points. I am saying this to remind you that if you want cultural, non-political events to continue to be fun, you should stop castigating large groups of people without the experience or knowledge to really back it up.

Thanks