Glheþinaziun d'ar friul noveu

Started by luc, December 06, 2019, 08:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Lüc

Update: The infrastructure for the glheþinaziun is now in place (see this post)

(yes, "friul" is not the right word but I couldn't resist using it... for some reason :P)

Right, so azul, estimats amíci Ladintschen. As I mentioned in the feature list, this new forum potentially allows for multiple interface languages to be installed. This clearly means there's room for a custom Talossan translation of the whole interface, if it's a project that people would be interested in.

(I'm also doing my code tweaks in a language-neutral way, so for example the "Latest 59" button should also be translatable by just editing the string file)
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

We'd need a unified orthography first I'm afraid...

I don't know, maybe we could develop one for this project.
What do you guys think? @Miestrâ Schiva, UrN @Magniloqueu Épiqeu Ac'hlerglünä da Lhiun @Iac Marscheir
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I think that whichever of you guys actually wants to take responsibility for getting SIGN started and making policy on orthography and everything else will be recommended for the Order of the Purple Tongue by myself.

Sadly, everything I saw over the last term was everyone saying "no not me" and ducking for cover, while agreeing that someone else should do it.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Quote from: Miestrâ Schiva, UrN on December 06, 2019, 02:37:13 PM
I think that whichever of you guys actually wants to take responsibility for getting SIGN started and making policy on orthography and everything else will be recommended for the Order of the Purple Tongue by myself.

Sadly, everything I saw over the last term was everyone saying "no not me" and ducking for cover, while agreeing that someone else should do it.
I didn't see that, I saw people who couldnt agree on much, if anything.

Setting up SIGN and declaring spelling reforms is really easy. The most important and difficult part is to actually convince everyone else to actually follow the spelling reforms you declared, because what's the point of having official spelling rules if nobody follows them?

I could just set up SIGN and declare that the spellings that I outlined in the PDF in my signature are now the One True Orthography(TM), but unless everyone else involved has a sudden change of heart, this would get us nowhere. It'd probably piss people off and make the job even more difficult in future. Though if you think that unilaterally declaring stuff is not only fine but actually the way to go, I will happily do just that.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

HAHAHAHAHA you called my bluff and I wasn't bluffing.

Go for it. If you want me to countersign your proposals as the One True Talossan (until SIGN is properly set up), I will.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Iac Marscheir

I feel like I'm the last real holdout on the orthography question. I did a few short comparative translations using the CS and TS, and I guess the traditional spelling is starting to grow on me, mainly because it looks kinda silly, like it's acting like it's taking itself seriously.

So, should the general message of the decrees be "let's all just forget the 2007 Arestada happened", I guess I'd be able to live with it.

Magniloqueu Épiqeu Ac’hlerglünä da Lhiun

I still hate the traditional orthography, because it has so many redundant diacritics.
Mîmbreu Xhugnhör da l'Avocatür Rexhital

I support the "United Provinces of Maritiimi-Maxhestic, Vuode, and Dandenburg."

Sir Lüc

(Will add the link to the top post as well btw)

Alright, me and Marcel have kicked things off. There is now a Github repository for the translation which you can access at https://github.com/badinl/glhetg-witt. (Note that I am fully aware that the translation might not begin until that provisional standard thing is settled)

How do I contribute?
Simple:

1) Sign up for a free Github account, or use your own if you already have one

2) Ping me somewhere so I can add you as a collaborator (otherwise I will have to manually approve your contributions)

3) Head to the repository and start contributing! Select a file, hit "Edit" and begin translating the strings like so:
$txt['admin_boards'] = 'Boards';
becomes
$txt['admin_boards'] = 'Scumparts';
(or whatever the correct translation and pluralisation is)

4) When everything is translated, I will add the translation to the forum and it will become fully usable.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend

Some tentative guidelines:

• Use the provisional spelling (please)
  • Use "voi" forms
  • If you're unsure on how to translate a word or set phrase, ask in this thread

Probably more to follow

Sir Lüc

Miestrâ and Iac have both been added to the repo.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Did I forget to clear my cache or am I really the only one who has contributed translations?

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Miestră Schivă, UrN

So is it only the file index.talossan.php that needs updating?

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Miestrâ Schiva, UrN on April 02, 2020, 07:24:44 PM
So is it only the file index.talossan.php that needs updating?
No, all files. At some point we decided we would bulk-rename them when they are ready.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time: