Florencia Senator
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Tric'hard Lenxheir

I like Ian but just to be different I cast my vote for Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on October 13, 2023, 08:46:48 PMI vote for myself.

I also wonder whether someone who is currently enjoined from assuming his Senate seat can be a candidate.

I nominated myself before an injunction was issued by the Cort. Unfortunately due to the injunction issued, it seems the Senate race in Maricopa is not decided after all and I will have to bow out of the race for the moment.
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

mximo

Azul,

If the certification of the result is not confirmed in the province of Maricopa by the court as provided by law. I believe that the election of the president of the senate should be suspended. The law states that the election must begin at the beginning of the term. The term begins after certification. The certification being contested the term has not started.

Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: mximo on October 14, 2023, 10:59:46 AMAzul,

If the certification of the result is not confirmed in the province of Maricopa by the court as provided by law. I believe that the election of the president of the senate should be suspended. The law states that the election must begin at the beginning of the term. The term begins after certification. The certification being contested the term has not started.

Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Sorry but the OrgLaw doesn't say any of that. It says after the general election then the Mençei is elected. It says nothing about certification or the beginning of a term.

Article III

Section 10
The Senäts shall, after every general election of a senator, choose one of its members to be the President of the Senäts to be called the Mençéi, or in English the Lord President; and as often as the office of Mençéi becomes vacant the Senäts shall again choose a senator to be the Mençéi. The Mençéi shall cease to hold office if he ceases to be a senator. The Mençéi may be removed from office by a vote of the Senäts, or he may resign his office or seat by writing addressed to the King, or by public declaration.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I'm not a member of the Senats, but I hope no one will mind that I am chiming in to concur with Txec.  A senator has been elected, so a vote for the Lord President can begin.

It might make more sense to wait until after the senator from Maricopa, whomever it may be, has finally been elected, though.  When someone has been elected to represent Maricopa, that would also count as the "general election of a senator" and so the election would need to occur a second time.  Unless Carlus has been elected as of two days ago, but just isn't allowed to exercise the powers of the office, in which case he could still be a candidate, presumably?

Confusing stuff!
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Estimats Talossans,

The Orglaw specifies that following an election a Mençei is chosen.

The Standing Rules of the Senate specify that the Mençei shall be chosen "from among its members."  Given the injunction that prohibits the seating of the Senator from Maricopa, Mr. Vilaçafat cannot currently be said to be among the members of the Senats, and as such is ineligible to stand for the position of Mençei.

I will remind S:reus Nordselva and Davinescu that this board is for the business of the Senats, and that those who are not members of this body should refrain from engaging in debate on this floor.  I thank them for their thoughtful insight, however.

As it stands, there seems to be nothing in either the Standing Rules or Organic Law about suspending the election of a Mençei.  In the interests of fairness, keeping with the spirit of Justice Cjantsheir's injunction, and should nobody object, I will extend the voting deadline for Mençei by 48 hours.  Should Mr. Vilaçafat be seated in the interim, votes for him will be counted as such.  If not, they will be considered votes against the single eligible candidate with a quorum of 7.

Best,
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu, Mençei
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

mximo

Azul,

I object to your ruling.
And ask I ask for a vote on your ruling.

Sincerely,

Mximo Carbonèl
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Quote from: mximo on October 16, 2023, 11:55:24 AMAzul,

I object to your ruling.
And ask I ask for a vote on your ruling.

Sincerely,

Mximo Carbonèl

Noted.  See here: https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=2811.0
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Estimats Senators,

This election is currently suspended on the outcome of this vote: https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=2811.new#new

It will be resumed upon the seating of the full Senate.  Until such a time, this thread will remain locked.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

GV

ESB: Status on court rulings, etc. please.  Many thanks!

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: GV on November 04, 2023, 06:33:03 PMESB: Status on court rulings, etc. please.  Many thanks!
Unfortunately ESB renounced his citizenship and therefore vacated his senate seat. S:reu Taiwos was appointed to fill the seat.

The several Cort cases regarding Cezembre and Maricopa are still ongoing.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Apologies for my intrusion. I wanted to inform the Senate that a Senator from Maricopa has been seated: Txotue Davinescu.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

mximo

Azul,

Since Ian Plätschisch is the only seating senator candidate left in the race I believe he is the new Mençei ?

Sincerely,

Mximo Carbonèl
Senator from Florencia
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Þon Txoteu É. Davinescu, O.SPM

I'm fine with that. I have no intention of popping in and immediately running against him! (The thought crossed my mind... but only with playful, maniacal laughter! lol)

Good luck this term, old buddy!

Davinescu
The Most Honourable General Txoteu É. Davinescu, O.SPM

Senator for Maricopa, Kingdom of Talossa