Lord Warden election - thanks and some thoughts/concerns.

Started by Glüc da Dhi S.H., October 07, 2023, 06:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

So first of all many thanks to @xpb for organising the election.

And also thanks to the Cézembreans who voted for me. I know there was no other choice, but I appreciate the support anyway.

It's unfortunate that there weren't any other candidates, especially since I am not too motivated by current politics myself and I might not be the best senator at the moment because of that. @þerxh Sant-Enogat would have been a great candidate of course, even more because of his activity at the provincial level and connection to our island, but unfortunately in this case the limitations set by the Organic Law prevented that.

I am somewhat uneasy about the election however, because according to our constitution the election should be conducted by the chancery if no provincial statutes exist. This appears to have been the case. I think this is a good thing because the alternative is for the sénéchal to basically invent the rules themselves (as happened in this case by choosing fptp when both chancery conducted elections and previous statute-based elections used irv).

This is not to diminish the appreciation for the work xpb has done. He has put great effort into calling for candidates and setting everything up and I don't doubt his integrity. Also he has kept provincial activity going when nobody else could be bothered. However, I don't think it is correct for one person to unilaterally choose the election rules, which is what happens when there aren't any (valid) rules in place, which is why the constitution says the chancery should be requested to conduct the election in that case.

I apologise for being so late too voice this concern. I suppose I couldn't be bothered to argue about it earlier. For now it is probably a moot point and I dont think it would have affected the outcome with only one declared candidate.

For next time maybe l'Etats should maybe pass a bill to clarify that no laws are in place and therefore the Chancery should in accordance with the constitution be requested to conduct senate elections. (Or write a law to conduct the elections ourselves, but I personally wouldnt be in favour of that since Chancery elections have been well organised and tend to have higher turnout than provincially conducted elections. Provincial activity has been quite low for a while but Cézembreans still have an interest in being represented at the national level.)

For the time being Im assuming there won't be a court case to challenge the results so you'll have to do with me as your senator. As promised I intend to read and vote on every bill. If anyone has any questions about my views feel free to ask. Also if anyone has opinions on legislation before the senate feel free to contact me. I can't promise I will change my vote accordingly but I will always try to carefully consider the arguments made.
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre

xpb

Quote from: Glüc da Dhi S.H. on October 07, 2023, 06:07:05 PMSo first of all many thanks to @xpb for organising the election.

And also thanks to the Cézembreans who voted for me. I know there was no other choice, but I appreciate the support anyway.

It's unfortunate that there weren't any other candidates, especially since I am not too motivated by current politics myself and I might not be the best senator at the moment because of that. @þerxh Sant-Enogat would have been a great candidate of course, even more because of his activity at the provincial level and connection to our island, but unfortunately in this case the limitations set by the Organic Law prevented that.

I am somewhat uneasy about the election however, because according to our constitution the election should be conducted by the chancery if no provincial statutes exist. This appears to have been the case. I think this is a good thing because the alternative is for the sénéchal to basically invent the rules themselves (as happened in this case by choosing fptp when both chancery conducted elections and previous statute-based elections used irv).

This is not to diminish the appreciation for the work xpb has done. He has put great effort into calling for candidates and setting everything up and I don't doubt his integrity. Also he has kept provincial activity going when nobody else could be bothered. However, I don't think it is correct for one person to unilaterally choose the election rules, which is what happens when there aren't any (valid) rules in place, which is why the constitution says the chancery should be requested to conduct the election in that case.

I apologise for being so late too voice this concern. I suppose I couldn't be bothered to argue about it earlier. For now it is probably a moot point and I dont think it would have affected the outcome with only one declared candidate.

For next time maybe l'Etats should maybe pass a bill to clarify that no laws are in place and therefore the Chancery should in accordance with the constitution be requested to conduct senate elections. (Or write a law to conduct the elections ourselves, but I personally wouldnt be in favour of that since Chancery elections have been well organised and tend to have higher turnout than provincially conducted elections. Provincial activity has been quite low for a while but Cézembreans still have an interest in being represented at the national level.)

For the time being Im assuming there won't be a court case to challenge the results so you'll have to do with me as your senator. As promised I intend to read and vote on every bill. If anyone has any questions about my views feel free to ask. Also if anyone has opinions on legislation before the senate feel free to contact me. I can't promise I will change my vote accordingly but I will always try to carefully consider the arguments made.

Thanks for the notes on this.  I attempted to interpret the existing law, but perhaps failed in complete understanding.  I was trying to run the simplest election possible without the problems that have occurred in other provinces.  I should have just said one candidate is sufficient to be elected if they get one vote, which occurred.

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Quote from: Glüc da Dhi S.H. on October 07, 2023, 06:07:05 PMFor the time being Im assuming there won't be a court case to challenge the results so you'll have to do with me as your senator.

Heh, looks like I spoke too soon.
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre

xpb

Quote from: Glüc da Dhi S.H. on October 09, 2023, 03:51:24 AM
Quote from: Glüc da Dhi S.H. on October 07, 2023, 06:07:05 PMFor the time being Im assuming there won't be a court case to challenge the results so you'll have to do with me as your senator.

Heh, looks like I spoke too soon.

Possibly, but I could file an amicus statement with that of Miestră Schivă, UrN posted in Hammond v Chancery if requested (I don't think I can until I am a party to that case.

þerxh Sant-Enogat

Quote from: Glüc da Dhi S.H. on October 07, 2023, 06:07:05 PMSo first of all many thanks to @xpb for organising the election.

Thanks for your kind words. Actually Organic Law did not prevent me from being elected, it would only have prevented me to vote until may 2024 (in case I would have been elected of course), so for approximately one third of the Senator's mandate. Which I did not want as a sign of respect for voters and Senate.
þerxh Sant-Enogat, SMC, MC
Seneschal, Minister of Immigration, Minister of STUFF,
Sénéchal de Cézembre,
Duceu del TNC / Congreßeu Naziunal da Talossa
Former Prospective Citizen