News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Vote In Re: Mençei Election Ruling

Started by Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu, October 16, 2023, 03:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Estimats Senators,

Our colleague from Florencia has objected to and requested a vote upon my ruling in re: the election of the Lord President currently being conducted.  The text of my ruling can be found here: https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?msg=23421

The request, as I understand it, is that the election of the presiding officer shall be suspended until such a time as Maricopa's senator is seated.  I have already offered to push back the deadline by 48 hours (barring objection to such) to allow mediation time requested by Justice Cjantscheir. (Found here: https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=2804.0)

I feel like this falls (sort of) under Standing Rules 3.1, where the Mençei is empowered to make rulings on Senatorial eligibility, but that this can be overturned by a vote from the body.  Structurally speaking, it is the closest thing that we have in law, even if it is not a perfect fit.

This vote will run for a period of 1 week from this posting, to conclude on 10/23/23 @ 3pm Talossan time.  An affirmative vote shall suspend the election for presiding officer.  A negative will allow it to continue.  Should a majority of the body agree in one direction beforehand, this vote will conclude immediately.

@Ian Plätschisch
@mximo
@Tric'hard Lenxheir
@Glüc da Dhi S.H.
@mpf
@GV
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

I appreciate the clear direction of the Mençei in conducting the election of his successor and now this vote.

I believe it would be wise to wait with electing a new Mençei until all provinces are represented. It should be noted that my own election is also possibly being reviewed in court (although so far without any injunctions preventing me from voting). I vote yes.
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre

mximo

Azul,

I carefully read the court's judgment this morning. The judge's decision calls on me to return to the Senate. In his wisdom the judge tells me that the Senate is indeed master of its work. I greatly appreciate your decision today. I recognize that you are unfortunately not responsible for the situation in which you find yourself, Senator Bornatfiglheu.

Now I vote Yes on your proposal. As soon as all the senators are finally gathered in this humble chamber we will be able to proceed and I will be in favor of a rapid vote to settle the question once and for all.

I am sorry, dear colleague, for the situation in which I had to place you and I hope to be able to discuss our upcoming term with you in the coming weeks.

Sincerely,

Mximo Carbonèl
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Ian Plätschisch

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

On this measure, the vote currently stands:

2 Yes, 2 No, 1 Abstention

The Maricopa vacancy reduces the quorum to 7, putting majority at 3.5 or above.  Senator Plätschisch's abstention reduces majority to anything above 3.

@GV
@mpf

Please weigh in.  Or can somebody who knows them wake them up?
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

mpf

I believe in the importance of the Senate. I think it is the supreme chamber of the Ziu, whose role is to ensure the Cosa doesn't pass laws that aren't represented by ALL of the provinces.

Because of this belief, I cannot accept that we nominate a Mencei without ALL of the Senators seated.

If we do, we will need to do it AGAIN once all of them are seated, so I vote yes, postpone until official.
Martì-Paír Furxhéir
Longuest serving Secretary of State
Senator for Ataturk
Creator of the mixtape exchange program:
https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=217.msg1299

GV

I vote 'yes' as well and urge those far wiser in these things than I to propose legislation or amendments to our Standing Orders to clear this up. 

It seems Max may have found something innocuous, but still squirly that needs clearing up.  Thanks to him for bringing this to our attention.

- GV

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Estimats Senators,

The "Yes" vote on the suspension of the Mençei election has carried the issue 4 Aye/2 Nay/1 Abstain.  Therefor, by the will of this body, I declare the ongoing election of the Lord President being conducted here: https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=2811 to be suspended until the Senator from Maricopa is seated.

Upon the seating of our colleague, we will reopen this election as it is already ongoing.  Timetable for remaining votes will be published in the vote thread at that time.

For clarity sake, note that the election is only suspended and not cancelled.  It will still need to be concluded with the nominees already in place.  I have locked the election thread for the time being.  In the interim, I would encourage my colleagues to consider how we wound up here.

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

GV

Quote from: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu on October 20, 2023, 08:06:21 AMEstimats Senators,

The "Yes" vote on the suspension of the Mençei election has carried the issue 4 Aye/2 Nay/1 Abstain.  Therefor, by the will of this body, I declare the ongoing election of the Lord President being conducted here: https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=2811 to be suspended until the Senator from Maricopa is seated.

Upon the seating of our colleague, we will reopen this election as it is already ongoing.  Timetable for remaining votes will be published in the vote thread at that time.

For clarity sake, note that the election is only suspended and not cancelled.  It will still need to be concluded with the nominees already in place.  I have locked the election thread for the time being.  In the interim, I would encourage my colleagues to consider how we wound up here.

Above link links back to this page.