News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Senäts SNAFU

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, October 18, 2023, 04:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Three different controversies have prevented the new Senäts from properly convening and doing its business, with knock-on effects on the Cosă and the formation of a new government. I am still technically representing a party to a Cort pü Inalt case in one of those controversies (the Cézembre election), so I will here comment on the other two.

The Maricopa Senäts election

When Txoteu Davinescù took his case to the CpI about improper organisation of the tiebreaker in this election, a lot of comment was negative towards him in that the Premier of Maricopa was pressed for time and so had to organise a poker match at 24 hours notice during US working hours. The argument that the Maricopa Senäts race had to be finalised quickly makes a lot of sense. But given that, what doesn't make a lot of sense is the Premier of Maricopa's decision to drag out the controversy in front of the CpI. Txoteu has given his consent for an alternative tie-breaker which could be done instantly - the Maricopa Premier has "acknowledged" that but clearly doesn't want to do it, preferring to stick to a Cort case (which might take weeks) insisting on their right to, um, organise a poker match at 24 hours during US working hours because time was a factor?

The Mençéi election

Traditionally the Mençéi, the "honorable President" of the Senäts and a member of the CRL responsible for checking legislation for defects, goes to a long-standing and experienced Senator, preferably from outside the governing party. So naturally, the newest Senator from the governing party nominated himself for the post within five seconds of assuming his seat - and his whole party supported him.

It's generally accepted that in the recent election, the TNC suffered a small setback in votes because opposition claims that they had a tendency to excessive partisanship and a dismissive attitude to those outside their party resonated with the voters. It seems to me that we are currently bogged down in organising Talossa's legislature, partly because of those very factors.

I would recommend that we adopt a principle of climbing down when insisting on our "right" to do things our way is derailing things; that the Premier of Maricopa accept Txoteu Davinescù's suggestion of an alternative tie breaker; the TNC Senators abandon their effort to make a brand-new Senator Mençéi (why not the Senator from Vuode, who at least has a bit of experience, if they must put up a candidate?); and we can get this show on the road properly.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

The problem is compounded because without a Mençei and a Tuischach, we have no CRL and no bills can be put forward for the first Clark. I'd highly suggest that the current Seneschal call for a month of recess so these issues can be sorted out.

Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 18, 2023, 04:08:20 AMThree different controversies have prevented the new Senäts from properly convening and doing its business, with knock-on effects on the Cosă and the formation of a new government. I am still technically representing a party to a Cort pü Inalt case in one of those controversies (the Cézembre election), so I will here comment on the other two.

The Maricopa Senäts election

When Txoteu Davinescù took his case to the CpI about improper organisation of the tiebreaker in this election, a lot of comment was negative towards him in that the Premier of Maricopa was pressed for time and so had to organise a poker match at 24 hours notice during US working hours. The argument that the Maricopa Senäts race had to be finalised quickly makes a lot of sense. But given that, what doesn't make a lot of sense is the Premier of Maricopa's decision to drag out the controversy in front of the CpI. Txoteu has given his consent for an alternative tie-breaker which could be done instantly - the Maricopa Premier has "acknowledged" that but clearly doesn't want to do it, preferring to stick to a Cort case (which might take weeks) insisting on their right to, um, organise a poker match at 24 hours during US working hours because time was a factor?

The Mençéi election

Traditionally the Mençéi, the "honorable President" of the Senäts and a member of the CRL responsible for checking legislation for defects, goes to a long-standing and experienced Senator, preferably from outside the governing party. So naturally, the newest Senator from the governing party nominated himself for the post within five seconds of assuming his seat - and his whole party supported him.

It's generally accepted that in the recent election, the TNC suffered a small setback in votes because opposition claims that they had a tendency to excessive partisanship and a dismissive attitude to those outside their party resonated with the voters. It seems to me that we are currently bogged down in organising Talossa's legislature, partly because of those very factors.

I would recommend that we adopt a principle of climbing down when insisting on our "right" to do things our way is derailing things; that the Premier of Maricopa accept Txoteu Davinescù's suggestion of an alternative tie breaker; the TNC Senators abandon their effort to make a brand-new Senator Mençéi (why not the Senator from Vuode, who at least has a bit of experience, if they must put up a candidate?); and we can get this show on the road properly.

Just for what it is worth, the Senator from Vuode made it clear to his previous party leaders that he did not wish to hold any offices higher than that which he holds now. I know I am not intelligent enough nor do I have the time to do the position justice.
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

mximo

The Senate, nor the TNC, can be held responsible for a legitimate request from a citizen before the courts. As a senator, I hold the courts in high regard and am convinced that the judgment will meet our expectations.

I would ask the honorable member of the Cosa not to interfere in the decisions of the Senate. Moreover, senators are currently voting democratically on whether we should wait or proceed with the vote for the new Mençei, and the vote will conclude well before the start of next month.

I am also convinced that the court will deliver its judgment well before the end of the month. I also trust that the former Mençei can serve very well as an interim until then. The senator from Benito has my full confidence.

Mximo Carbonèl
Senator from Florencia
Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The Senator from Florencia is doing nothing to beat the allegations that the TNC's default response to feedback is "yeah, whatever, we do what we want"

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

If the members of our August body would show up and weigh in, a lot of this could be worked out.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 18, 2023, 04:40:19 PMThe Senator from Florencia is doing nothing to beat the allegations that the TNC's default response to feedback is "yeah, whatever, we do what we want"
Your party has a bit of a reputation for bending the truth whenever it becomes convenient, and I think we're seeing that here again.

The premier of Maricopa is not a member of our party. We have enthusiastically invited him to join in the past, but he has indicated that he prefers to be independent. Obviously, if we had our choice, he would have just selected the candidate who showed some interest in the job. Instead and to my considerable frustration, he proposed a game of chance.

Carlus would do an amazing job as leader of the Senate. He's energetic, interested in the country, and has good judgment. Appeals to seniority are often just a way for entrenched powers to try to box out the future.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on October 18, 2023, 06:36:47 PMCarlus would do an amazing job as leader of the Senate. He's energetic, interested in the country, and has good judgment. Appeals to seniority are often just a way for entrenched powers to try to box out the future.
Being "energetic, interested in the country, and hav[ing] good judgement" should be considered table stakes for being a Senator at all, not being the President of the Senate.

It's a sad reflection on the state of the Senate in general that mere competency, perhaps not unjustifiably, is seen as rare.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on October 18, 2023, 06:36:47 PMCarlus would do an amazing job as leader of the Senate. He's energetic, interested in the country, and has good judgment.

And most importantly, he's a member of the TNC, the only people in Talossa who matter :D

Still, correction accepted that Danihel is not actually a TNC member; and that the TNC were actually telling him he should just pick Carlus. As to the Mençéisqåb (?), as for the Túischac'hsqåb, I would suggest that the vital qualities for the roles of Chairs of the House of the Ziu are cross-partisan acceptability, proven leadership skills, familiarity with Talossan "ways of doing things" and (for the CRL) proven understanding of how legal language works.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

@Bråneu Excelsio Godspeed in bringing down the partisan temperature.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 18, 2023, 08:22:04 PM@Bråneu Excelsio Godspeed in bringing down the partisan temperature.

To his great credit, the TNC Seneschal candidate has put his money where his mouth is in that regard.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 18, 2023, 08:27:08 PM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 18, 2023, 08:22:04 PM@Bråneu Excelsio Godspeed in bringing down the partisan temperature.

To his great credit, the TNC Seneschal candidate has put his money where his mouth is in that regard.

Yes, to his credit. I hope this can be a statement applicable to members of other parties soon.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 18, 2023, 07:53:04 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on October 18, 2023, 06:36:47 PMCarlus would do an amazing job as leader of the Senate. He's energetic, interested in the country, and has good judgment.

And most importantly, he's a member of the TNC, the only people in Talossa who matter :D

Still, correction accepted that Danihel is not actually a TNC member; and that the TNC were actually telling him he should just pick Carlus.

You just made a completely wrong accusation of reckless partisanship, so maybe you should cool off before you launch right back into it.  I mean, if you're trying to convince us that there's a chance to diminish partisan tension, maybe stop your frenzied efforts to crank the ratchet?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

What exactly do you - individually, and as a party - need me/the Free Democrats to do, Alexandreu? Feel free to answer as well if you want, Brenéir

We have some potential proposals being debated and voted-upon in the party, and I don't think I could speak for the party in that regard.  We chose leaders and they'll speak for us :) 

My point is a narrow one: you say you want to lower partisan tensions, but then you make a speech in which you make sweeping and wrong accusations about our entire party.  Since you're likely to be the FreeDem leader for the time to come, the tenor of your leadership and the way you interact with people ends up mattering a lot.  So if you want to build some mutual goodwill, maybe consider changing your rhetoric.  You could have made the same speech you began this with, minus the digs and jibes about the TNC.  It would have been more productive and better-received.