Cli-Fi

Started by Bentxamì Puntmasleu, November 20, 2023, 08:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bentxamì Puntmasleu

About a year or two ago, I first heard the term "climate fiction" of "cli-fi" to describe speculative fiction with an ecological focus. I know such themes exist within the genre but I had been hitherto unaware of the specific subgenre. By that time, I had already read the Ambergris trilogy and the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer, which I greatly enjoyed. Later, I read The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi and Borne and The Strange Bird by Jeff Vandermeer again. I really liked those too.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations along that line. I've been meaning to check out Fauna by Christiane Vadnais. Has anyone read that? How is it?
Grefieir d'Abbavilla / Scribe of Abbavilla

Zirecteir dels Afaes Înphätseschti / Director of Home Affairs

Premieir da Vuode / Premier of Vuode

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Kim Stanley Robinson immediately comes to mind. The Mars Trilogy, The Ministry of the Future and New York 2140 are good examples.
Also, this is TV, but Apple+ has a very interesting climate fiction series called Extrapolations.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Bentxamì Puntmasleu on November 20, 2023, 08:28:21 PMAbout a year or two ago, I first heard the term "climate fiction" of "cli-fi" to describe speculative fiction with an ecological focus. I know such themes exist within the genre but I had been hitherto unaware of the specific subgenre. By that time, I had already read the Ambergris trilogy and the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer, which I greatly enjoyed. Later, I read The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi and Borne and The Strange Bird by Jeff Vandermeer again. I really liked those too.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations along that line. I've been meaning to check out Fauna by Christiane Vadnais. Has anyone read that? How is it?

Did you end up checking out any Kim Stanley Robinson?

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Bentxamì Puntmasleu

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on November 27, 2023, 04:50:36 PM
Quote from: Bentxamì Puntmasleu on November 20, 2023, 08:28:21 PMAbout a year or two ago, I first heard the term "climate fiction" of "cli-fi" to describe speculative fiction with an ecological focus. I know such themes exist within the genre but I had been hitherto unaware of the specific subgenre. By that time, I had already read the Ambergris trilogy and the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer, which I greatly enjoyed. Later, I read The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi and Borne and The Strange Bird by Jeff Vandermeer again. I really liked those too.

I read about him after your recommendations and he definitely seems up my alley. Something by him (probably of the three your recommended) is on my docket. I haven't actually gotten around to checking anything out yet. I have been/will be pretty busy this/next month with end-of-semester coursework. I do have downtime though and I have been looking for something else. In any case, I think I will be reading something of his by January.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Bentxamì Puntmasleu on November 27, 2023, 04:58:42 PM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on November 27, 2023, 04:50:36 PM

I read about him after your recommendations and he definitely seems up my alley. Something by him (probably of the three your recommended) is on my docket. I haven't actually gotten around to checking anything out yet. I have been/will be pretty busy this/next month with end-of-semester coursework. I do have downtime though and I have been looking for something else. In any case, I think I will be reading something of his by January.

Awesome, I am glad to hear that. It would be great to get your thoughts on what you end up reading of his.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Bentxamì Puntmasleu

I just picked up KSR's The Ministry for the Future from the library. I'm excited to start it. As a side note, while I was waiting for Ministry to transfer libraries, I started reading a book called John Dies at the End. It's all right. Has anyone read that?

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Bentxamì Puntmasleu on January 02, 2024, 05:53:43 PMI started reading a book called John Dies at the End. It's all right. Has anyone read that?

It is excellent, though the first part really does show as having been cobbled together from blog posts. There's even a film. The sequels are also worth reading though IMHO inferior. You should delve into Jason Pargin aka David Wong's wider body of work.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Iason Taiwos

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on January 03, 2024, 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: Bentxamì Puntmasleu on January 02, 2024, 05:53:43 PMI started reading a book called John Dies at the End. It's all right. Has anyone read that?

It is excellent, though the first part really does show as having been cobbled together from blog posts. There's even a film. The sequels are also worth reading though IMHO inferior. You should delve into Jason Pargin aka David Wong's wider body of work.
My nephew bought it for me years ago. I recall really liking it, and enjoyed the movie too. (If I'm remembering correctly, it was a Don Coscarelli movie (the guy behind the Phantasm series and Bubba Ho-Tep.) Well, he bought me the first sequel recently, haven't read it yet. It's been so long since I read the first one and saw the movie that I actually don't remember much about it now!
(Lol, I just watched the trailer Miestra posted the link to..."from the guy who brought you Phantasm and Bubba Ho-Tep"...)