[TERPELAZIUN] Ministreu dàl Tec'hnoloxhà

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, December 11, 2023, 01:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Estimat Túischac'h, I rise to deliver a Terpelaziun to the Minister of Technology, as authorised by El Lexhatx H.2.

The question is: given that the Immigration form on the National Website is no longer working; and given that Wittenberg has - as I understand it - had to run from MinTech's personal server since our web service provider is no longer reliable; and given all the other questions raised in my Terpelaziun of July 24 this year, which do not seem to have been resolved either;

• 1. Given that the former Talossan Web Registrant, Istefan Perþonest, has been active in his capacity as CpI Justice within the last 2 months; and given that the Secretary of State has informed me that "Istefan is willing to receive email from any Talossan"; what steps have been taken to complete the transfer of domain names away from DoRoyal, as mentioned by MinTech in his response to the July 24 Terpelaziun?
  • 2. Does the Government have a plan and a schedule for cutting our ties with DoRoyal altogether and moving to a new web provider; and if so, can they please present this plan to the Ziu?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Danihel Txechescu

I thank these questions.

1) I apologize for not sharing the good news earlier, more so to Breneir Tzaracomprada to whom I promised I would share the news. We are now in possession of the Talossa.com domain (in Talossa's account in Namesilo) for which we thank Istefan Perþonest for his quick response in this last transfer attempt. This occurred on October 25th.

2) We do have a plan to move email away from DoRoyal, which is the last bit still there. There is no timeline yet, but we want to move as soon as possible. A test server for email was set up last week, and sending out email was demonstrated successfully. Because I didn't want to disrupt more upon DoRoyal's disruption, I didn't get to test receiving emails, as that would have required changing DNS entries for longer time, but it should work just as well. Next in our testing is setting up a webmail system, like the one we have right now, and that can be done and finalized before we move away entirely.

I might add that the last disruption from DoRoyal did wipe out all of our email aliases and some (if not all) email inboxes. That makes me think that if we had stayed there with our webspace hosting, it would have been gone too. No way to know for sure, but very likely.

Danihel Txechescu
MinTech

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Danihel Txechescu on December 11, 2023, 02:05:03 PMI thank these questions.

1) I apologize for not sharing the good news earlier, more so to Breneir Tzaracomprada to whom I promised I would share the news. We are now in possession of the Talossa.com domain (in Talossa's account in Namesilo) for which we thank Istefan Perþonest for his quick response in this last transfer attempt. This occurred on October 25th.

2) We do have a plan to move email away from DoRoyal, which is the last bit still there. There is no timeline yet, but we want to move as soon as possible. A test server for email was set up last week, and sending out email was demonstrated successfully. Because I didn't want to disrupt more upon DoRoyal's disruption, I didn't get to test receiving emails, as that would have required changing DNS entries for longer time, but it should work just as well. Next in our testing is setting up a webmail system, like the one we have right now, and that can be done and finalized before we move away entirely.

I might add that the last disruption from DoRoyal did wipe out all of our email aliases and some (if not all) email inboxes. That makes me think that if we had stayed there with our webspace hosting, it would have been gone too. No way to know for sure, but very likely.

Danihel Txechescu
MinTech

I thank the Minister for his very prompt response and for this good news!

Supplementary questions!

1. Is talossa.com the *only* domain name which the Government will keep? Is talossan.com now gone for good?
2. Is the plan for our website hosting to remain, for the foreseeable future, on the Minister's private server? How will this work in terms of (a) budget allocations for webhosting; (b) succession planning for some stage in the future when there will be a different MinTech? I would mention our experience with the National Database as an indication of the problems with our digital infrastructure being provided by private individuals.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Estimat Túischac'h, I appear not to have gotten a reply to these supplementary questions within the requisite week.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on December 11, 2023, 03:35:16 PMSupplementary questions!

1. Is talossa.com the *only* domain name which the Government will keep? Is talossan.com now gone for good?
2. Is the plan for our website hosting to remain, for the foreseeable future, on the Minister's private server? How will this work in terms of (a) budget allocations for webhosting; (b) succession planning for some stage in the future when there will be a different MinTech? I would mention our experience with the National Database as an indication of the problems with our digital infrastructure being provided by private individuals.

Danihel Txechescu

Apologies to all for missing this deadline.

1. The government will keep more than just Talossa.com. The domain Talossan.com was lost due to reasons explained before.
2. Talossan services are not in my private server. I'm still paying for this bill, so no expenditure expected. When anyone decides to migrate things to a different provider, all the data will be available, including bring-up documentation.

DT
MinTech

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I thank the Minister for his reply. Unfortunately, this seems to raise more questions than it answers. I am actually more confused about what is going on - this is undoubtedly because I don't actually understand the technical issues involved. So please, I urge the Minister to explain the following things to me like I'm five years old.

Quote from: Danihel Txechescu on December 21, 2023, 08:50:54 PM1. The government will keep more than just Talossa.com.

Is there a "not" missing in this sentence? I was under the impression that talossa.com is the only domain name that the Kingdom still holds. Is this correct or is it not?

QuoteThe domain Talossan.com was lost due to reasons explained before.

If the Minister is referring to this previous TERP, then I'm afraid that again I don't really understand what happened. What seems to have happened was: the Government could not get in touch with Istefan at the time, so the Government decided not to pay for renewal of the talossan.com domain name with DoRoyal, and therefore it lapsed. Is this correct or is it not?

Quote2. Talossan services are not in my private server.

Now I am really confused. I was given to understand by the Secretary of State that - after the problems with DoRoyal - Wittenberg was being hosted on your private server, hence the occasional crashes due to backup problems. If this is not the case, can I please ask the Minister to explain exactly where Wittenberg is currently being hosted?

QuoteI'm still paying for this bill, so no expenditure expected.

I'm afraid this is a real problem, if true, because this makes Talossa's web presence the private property of the Minister of Technology. What are the Government's plans for returning to a situation where the Kingdom pays for its own webhosting, as mandated in El Lexhatx D.2.8.4 and D.2.9?

Danihel Txechescu

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on December 22, 2023, 05:06:28 PM[...]
Quote from: Danihel Txechescu on December 21, 2023, 08:50:54 PM1. The government will keep more than just Talossa.com.

Is there a "not" missing in this sentence? I was under the impression that talossa.com is the only domain name that the Kingdom still holds. Is this correct or is it not?

Nope. There are 3 domain names owned by the Kingdom:
* talossa.com
* kingdomoftalossa.com
* kingdomoftalossa.org

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on December 22, 2023, 05:06:28 PM
QuoteThe domain Talossan.com was lost due to reasons explained before.

If the Minister is referring to this previous TERP, then I'm afraid that again I don't really understand what happened. What seems to have happened was: the Government could not get in touch with Istefan at the time, so the Government decided not to pay for renewal of the talossan.com domain name with DoRoyal, and therefore it lapsed. Is this correct or is it not?

Yes. That morphed into https://www.talossan.org/. This domain's ownership will be transferred to the Kingdom shortly, so that'll make 4 domains.

Quote2. Talossan services are not in my private server.

Now I am really confused. I was given to understand by the Secretary of State that - after the problems with DoRoyal - Wittenberg was being hosted on your private server, hence the occasional crashes due to backup problems. If this is not the case, can I please ask the Minister to explain exactly where Wittenberg is currently being hosted?

That is not the case. I have multiple VPS (more than I should) and the Talossan infrastructure is its own virtual private server, apart from other projects. This server is hosted by DigitalOcean in their New York data centers. Both Lüc and I have full access to that server.

As for the occasional service disruptions in the name of data safeguarding, I hope it's appreciated that we avoided a second Wittpocalypse just a few weeks ago, when DoRoyal underwent a severe attack on their infrastructure; we only lost the email boxes and we're in the process of migrating that too.

QuoteI'm still paying for this bill, so no expenditure expected.

I'm afraid this is a real problem, if true, because this makes Talossa's web presence the private property of the Minister of Technology. What are the Government's plans for returning to a situation where the Kingdom pays for its own webhosting, as mandated in El Lexhatx D.2.8.4 and D.2.9?

I will not be billing the Kingdom for my services for the foreseeable future.

Danihel Txechescu
MinTech