The Clerk of the Corts Hat Restriction Act

Started by Dame Litz Cjantscheir, UrN, March 20, 2024, 10:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dame Litz Cjantscheir, UrN

The Clerk of the Corts Hat Restriction Act

WHEREAS under current arrangements the Attorney-General can simultaneously hold the position of Clerk of the Corts;

AND WHEREAS under same current arrangements a Deputy Clerk of the Corts cannot be appointed if s/he also hold the portfolio of Attorney General or Minister of Justice, due to the nature of these duties;

AND WHEREAS due to the nature of these duties it makes sense to also extend this prohibition to the Clerk of the Cort and not just their Deputies;

AND WHEREAS there is some duplication in 2 sections regarding Deputies that needs tidying up;

THEREFORE BE IT ENACTED by the King, Cosâ and Senäts of Talossa in Ziu assembled as follows:

Section 4.8 of El Lexhatx G. Justice, which currently reads:

"The individual holding the office of Clerk of the Corts shall enjoy immunity from civil or criminal suit for any actions performed in the course of his or her official duties while holding this office. This immunity shall be lost upon leaving office. Due to the nature of the Clerk's responsibilities, an individual may not hold the office of Clerk of the Corts, or any deputy thereunder, while simultaneously holding office as a Justice[638] of the Uppermost Cort or any national inferior court."

Shall be amended to read as follows:

"4.8. The individual holding the office of Clerk of the Corts shall enjoy immunity from civil or criminal suit for any actions performed in the course of his or her official duties while holding this office. This immunity shall be lost upon leaving office. Due to the nature of the Clerk's responsibilities, an individual may not hold the office of Clerk of the Corts, or any deputy thereunder, while simultaneously holding office as a Justice of the Uppermost Cort or any national inferior court or the portfolio of Attorney General or Minister of Justice."

Furthermore, Section 5.4 of El Lexhatx G. Justice, which currently reads:

"5.4. Due to the nature of these duties, no deputy shall be appointed who is seated on the bench of the Uppermost Cort or any inferior cort. Nor shall any appointee hold the portfolio of Attorney General or Minister of Justice."

Is hereby repealed in full.

Ureu q'estadra så,

Dame Litz Cjantscheir, UrN (MC, TNC)
Litz Cjantscheir LLB, LLM
Senior Justice/Judge of the Cort Pü Inalt

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I'm getting detxa vista (Talossan déjà vu) here. The TNC have decided that a senior civil servant is impermissibly "double jobbing" and is trying to make it illegal. The funny thing is that this was not a problem when the current Clerk of Corts was named A-Xh by the TNC Seneschál not one month ago. What has changed - apart from the fact that the Clerk/A-Xh is no longer a TNC member?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

This seems fine to me. It's a obvious conflict of interest. The only reason it still exists is a practical one: basically anyone interested in the law ends up doing double duty whenever possible.

I started doing the job of the Clerk because it was needed and no one else was around to really do it. I'm pretty proud of the new system that I put in place, transforming what was basically an unusable and incomplete set of opinions into a full records system. Still some improvements to be made and stuff to be entered, but I have left it better than I found it!

And of course I was the only member of the government who was really familiar with the law, which made me the obvious choice to be A-X.

I don't think I have acted corruptly in any way, but I'm incentivized to believe that! If it all possible, the two offices shouldn't be mingled.

I will resign whichever office the Seneschal chooses, either at his request or certainly should this bill pass.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

þerxh Sant-Enogat

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on March 20, 2024, 03:19:24 PMI'm getting detxa vista (Talossan déjà vu) here. The TNC have decided that a senior civil servant is impermissibly "double jobbing" and is trying to make it illegal. The funny thing is that this was not a problem when the current Clerk of Corts was named A-Xh by the TNC Seneschál not one month ago. What has changed - apart from the fact that the Clerk/A-Xh is no longer a TNC member?
The quoted (re)nomination was not contrary to any laws in force, and was - to my opinion - fully in line with the skills, the experience and the probity of the incumbent.
To make something illegal, you need first to be able to discuss a law ;-), and to then gather the necessary majority of votes.
þerxh Sant-Enogat, SMC, MC
Seneschal, Minister of Immigration, Minister of STUFF,
Sénéchal de Cézembre,
Duceu del TNC / Congreßeu Naziunal da Talossa
Former Prospective Citizen