News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

ATTN Minstry of Finance: Financial Report plz?

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, June 12, 2024, 06:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I made a mistake.

I sponsored this bill four Cosas ago removing the requirement for a Financial Report before each General Election. As far as I can tell from this, this was because no-one was doing it. But in hindsight, it was dumb. Of course all the parties running for election should see exactly what's in the Kingdom's coffers so they can create election platforms accordingly!

So I would like to call upon Minister of Finance @Baron Alexandreu Davinescu to request Royal Treasurer @xpb to issue a Financial Report (even one in very brief outline) now, before the end of the election, using his powers under El Lexhatx C.1.5.6. And we'll repair the reporting requirement in the next Cosa.

Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

xpb

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 12, 2024, 06:37:26 PMI made a mistake.

I sponsored this bill four Cosas ago removing the requirement for a Financial Report before each General Election. As far as I can tell from this, this was because no-one was doing it. But in hindsight, it was dumb. Of course all the parties running for election should see exactly what's in the Kingdom's coffers so they can create election platforms accordingly!

So I would like to call upon Minister of Finance @Baron Alexandreu Davinescu to request Royal Treasurer @xpb to issue a Financial Report (even one in very brief outline) now, before the end of the election, using his powers under El Lexhatx C.1.5.6. And we'll repair the reporting requirement in the next Cosa.

As Burgermeister of Inland Revenue (functionally a treasurer but not with that title), I will seek to confirm the balances on account by the end of the calendar month (for the next 10 days I am traveling to assist in relocating my parents-in-law from NJ to CO).  In brief there were no expenditures since the previous report at https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=2940.0 as DoRoyal has provided service at no cost due to technical problems that were encountered last year, and there have been minor purchases of coins and stamps plus registration fees for parties and senators.  I have donated supplies and postage to fulfil orders (estimate value $25) and until such time as US customs requirements are relaxed any orders from outside the US will be refunded due to problems encountered (with a possible move afoot to establish a repository in the Schengen area to facilitate distribution within).  There will be small amount of interest gained in savings from the previous balances reported  and the current PayPal balance is $539.  Total available funds estimated by 30 June 2024 to be ~$1850.

As to obtaining balances there is a historic anomaly established whereas previous office holders have placed funds on account in their own "real world" name and tax ID -- which is problematic, especially when they may abruptly discontinue their service to the Kingdom.  At this time I need to go through the SoS to get 2 factor identification codes in order to login to banking services, as even though my personal phone number is attached to the current account, the phone number for 2FA remains connected to others (which can be a hinderance for reporting).

A better method for for access, to comply with tax rules, and to not present that individuals possess accounts that are part of the organization, will be to establish an account in the name of the Kingdom.  To this end, I have established an EIN for the KINGDOM OF TALOSSA as an entity within the USA to conduct business as a organization described in IRC 501(c)(7) "organized for pleasure, recreation, and other nonprofitable purposes."  I will be meeting with Wells Fargo bank by the end of the month (an entity that has over 5000 branch locations including within the GTA) such that a signature card can be established with more than one listed officer being able to access the accounts, as determined by the Burgermeister at the direction of the Minister of Finance, which may from time to time include other civil servants or members of the current cabinet.  Added to the Burgermeister duties will be annual filing of the IRS 990-N for entities that have $50,000 US of revenue or less.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

@xpb Considering the need for continuity on financial matters do you think there could be merit to transitioning financial matters toward a more Civil Service-like position? Legally combine the Finance Ministry and Burgermeister into a something like a "Treasurer of Talossa" with a long term of office but still overseen by the government of the day?

Istefan Perþonest

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on June 13, 2024, 09:07:37 PM@xpb Considering the need for continuity on financial matters do you think there could be merit to transitioning financial matters toward a more Civil Service-like position? Legally combine the Finance Ministry and Burgermeister into a something like a "Treasurer of Talossa" with a long term of office but still overseen by the government of the day?
The Burgermeister is already a position in Talossa's civil service; there is no way to "transition" it to being any more "like" such a position.

As both a former Minister of Finance and as the longest-serving Burgermeister in Talossan history (nine of the nineteen years the position has actually existed), it is my considered opinion that adding some or all of the duties of the Minister of Finance to the position of Burgermeister (whether or not attached to a renaming of the position to "Treasurer") will not, in any way, actually make the job of Burgermeister easier to perform, make it easier to recruit people to be Burgermeister, improve the continuity of the position, or otherwise improve Talossa in any way.
Istefan Éovart Perþonest
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort
Cunstavál of Fiôvâ

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Istefan Perþonest on June 14, 2024, 06:00:41 AM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on June 13, 2024, 09:07:37 PM@xpb Considering the need for continuity on financial matters do you think there could be merit to transitioning financial matters toward a more Civil Service-like position? Legally combine the Finance Ministry and Burgermeister into a something like a "Treasurer of Talossa" with a long term of office but still overseen by the government of the day?
The Burgermeister is already a position in Talossa's civil service; there is no way to "transition" it to being any more "like" such a position.

As both a former Minister of Finance and as the longest-serving Burgermeister in Talossan history (nine of the nineteen years the position has actually existed), it is my considered opinion that adding some or all of the duties of the Minister of Finance to the position of Burgermeister (whether or not attached to a renaming of the position to "Treasurer") will not, in any way, actually make the job of Burgermeister easier to perform, make it easier to recruit people to be Burgermeister, improve the continuity of the position, or otherwise improve Talossa in any way.

Thank you @Istefan Perþonest for providing this feedback.

Could you tell me why it would not improve continuity to combine the Ministry and Burgermeister and centralize financial matters? You've stated your considered opinion but I there is no information that describes the consideration behind the opinion.

xpb

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on June 14, 2024, 07:58:56 AM

Could you tell me why it would not improve continuity to combine the Ministry and Burgermeister and centralize financial matters? You've stated your considered opinion but I there is no information that describes the consideration behind the opinion.

The ministry is a political entity within a current government while the civil service typically lasts beyond each administration and is in turn more tied to the crown.  All three of these provide necessary checks and balances between the interests.  It would be wise to have the signature card reflect the legal identification of the King, the Minister of Finance, and the Burgermeister at a minimum, with perhaps others being financial board members as the crown or administration would see fit.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: xpb on June 14, 2024, 08:09:09 AM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on June 14, 2024, 07:58:56 AM

The ministry is a political entity within a current government while the civil service typically lasts beyond each administration and is in turn more tied to the crown.  All three of these provide necessary checks and balances between the interests.  It would be wise to have the signature card reflect the legal identification of the King, the Minister of Finance, and the Burgermeister at a minimum, with perhaps others being financial board members as the crown or administration would see fit.

Thank you. This is a good elaboration on what I assume Istefan meant as considered opinion. I do still think there are ways to reduce inefficiencies in the current administrative arrangement but this is probably not the best way. I'll think on it some more.