News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

WE NEED A NEW HISTORY OF TALOSSA

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, June 30, 2020, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

As I was just saying in the Chat Room, in the old days, a new citizen of Talossa would be required to get a copy of King Robert I's "cheap history of Talossa", Ár Päts, and pass a test on it. Of course AP was incredibly biased to the King's political point of view and slanderous against his political enemies; but it at least enabled new citizens to learn how Talossa worked right from the get-go, and thus was an aid to immigration (in the sense of "getting new people involved").

We need a new Ár Päts, hopefully without the extreme political bias.

As a "cheap history", we are talking about - at most - maybe 1 page for the events of each Cosa term, which would mean 18 more pages to bring it up to date from KR1's last, self-pitying edition of AP. The basic source material for this would of course be Old Wittenberg - once a basic historical narrative is built from that, people who're interested in an "expanded version" could add their own comments. We could make "Ár Noveu Päts" a subsection of TalossaWiki.

(A parallel history of the Republic would be more difficult because the RepublicWitts aren't online anywhere, although I think they may be archived. Still, I could still write a one-page history of the Republic from memory to fit into Ár Noveu Päts, with the help of @GV, @MPF and others. That would be enough for new Kingdom citizens, methinks.)

Who agrees with me that this is vital?

Who actually wants to do something about it?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Iason Taiwos

I support this idea, I agree it is vital, and I admit that, nearing nine years as a Talossan citizen, I'd probably flunk any quiz on Talossan history you threw at me. (I know a few names and events, I even tried reading Ar Päts numerous times, sadly, I found it to be completely dull. Only King Ben work I've managed to make it all the way thru is the Berber Project.)

DNVercaria

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 30, 2020, 05:44:52 PM

(A parallel history of the Republic would be more difficult because the RepublicWitts aren't online anywhere, although I think they may be archived. Still, I could still write a one-page history of the Republic from memory to fit into Ár Noveu Päts, with the help of @GV, @MPF and others. That would be enough for new Kingdom citizens, methinks.)

By the time of the reunion, copies of the Rep. Wittenbergs had been put online on a Mexican server, alas I don't remember the URL(s) or IP address(es) any more. Links to this stuff been issued in a password protected section of the Proboards Witt. I don't remember what  became of all of this, maybe in the wake of the rejoicing nobody practically cared to make head and tail of said publication.

Wynn

i would do something to help but i'm not even a citizen and dont know much about talossan history

speaking of immigration it's been like 7 days and i still dont have a thread on the immigration subforum lol

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Apologies for that. The Immigration Minister has been having a lot to do outside Talossa, but he's getting back into it.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

GV

Those who follow the admittedly-dull doings of the Royal Archives will know already I have posted a bunch of online-friendly primary-source materials to www.libraryoftalossa.com - That page directs to the Wiki, but you can find all my stuff at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DQs53chil5a43Ff6PdSCLn1jaJ_8DCIg?usp=sharing

This work is still a work in progress, and next on my list of stuff to get done is Talossan National News.

This coming week, the Royal Archives will advertise for a mission-critical lead-person whose work will be central to getting this stuff done and dusted sooner rather than later.  Stay tuned, because when we get that particular project done to where I can put together its completion to suit me (and hopefully everyone else), it will be huge for Talossa.

GV

Miestră Schivă, UrN

So we've got source material coming out our ciúl; all we need is someone to write a historical narrative.

Maybe a first step would be to write a "chronicle" - a timeline of historical events for each Cosa term. If someone else could do that I would be happy to turn it into a narrative.

Eðo Grischun

My bad!!!!!!

I cleared your application and activated your account by phone the night I messaged you (didn't have access to computer)... but, then forgot to go back and play catch up to post your thread.

I'll get on that right away.  (I'll need to look into the legalities here to see how creative we can get about your examination dates, but don't worry; if you've met all other criteria you'll likely be granted citizenship (even if it means me asking the court to smack me around over the mistake, we'll get this fixed for you).
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Eðo Grischun

Quote from: Aleretză Gavrial Bråneu on July 01, 2020, 11:50:07 PM
i would do something to help but i'm not even a citizen and dont know much about talossan history

speaking of immigration it's been like 7 days and i still dont have a thread on the immigration subforum lol

Above message
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Miestră Schivă, UrN

People in the Chatroom talking about how they didn't even know that the 1994 National Atlas of Talossa existed, or that Vuode Province briefly seceded in 1992.

We need a new Talossan history syllabus for all new citizens to learn.

Françal I. Lux

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 24, 2020, 05:28:29 PM
Yes, I couldn't agree more! Even just a condensed version would go a long way. We should use our official wiki for more comprehensive summaries, but I recommend creating a cheat sheet of sorts of all important dates and information that we can give to new applicants and citizens.
F. I. Lux, Minister of Interior

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Tierçéu Rôibeardescù

People in the Chatroom talking about how they didn't even know that the 1994 National Atlas of Talossa existed, or that Vuode Province briefly seceded in 1992.

I know it now xD I read the entire atlas.... And I now see how totalitarian Ben really was. Im glad we now have a such a good monarch!
Túischac'h of the 55th Cosa
MC, 55th Cosa, League of Center Conservatives
Secretary-General of the League of centre conservatives
Member of the L'Etats de Cézembre

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Txosuè Éiric Rôibeardescù on July 24, 2020, 06:43:29 PM
I know it now xD I read the entire atlas.... And I now see how totalitarian Ben really was.

Remember that he wrote that about himself. He was proud of it. And it was published before he became a really nasty gaslighting abuser - in the pre-Internet era, all Talossans were people who Ben knew personally so there were limits to how cruel he could be. Have you read Ár Päts?

QuoteIm glad we now have a such a good monarch!

John is certainly preferable to Ben.

Éovart Andrinescù

People in the Chatroom talking about how they didn't even know that the 1994 National Atlas of Talossa existed, or that Vuode Province briefly seceded in 1992.[/b]

Acest calucjeu, c'e me.

As a returning citizen with an admittedly dim view of the national history, a condensed version would be very handy. I recently read The Atlas at the Seneschal's recommendation. I found it interesting in spite of its verbosity. It certainly lacked succinctness. I lament that King Robert never quite outgrew the morbid fascination with dictatorship that I think most boys experience.

I don't necessarily think citizens should be quizzed on the history—that would add yet another barrier to entry, which is the last thing we need right now—but a simple and readable omnibus of the national history is a great idea. It could be part of a 'Talossan starter pack' we issue to new citizens.