News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Dissolution of the 54th Cosa; Call for Elections

Started by King John, July 01, 2020, 02:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King John

We JOHN by the Grace of God King of Talossa and of all its Realms and Regions, King of Cézembre, Sovereign Lord and Protector of Pengöpäts and the New Falklands, Defender of the Faith, Leader of the Armed Forces, Viceroy of Hoxha and Vicar of Atatürk, having thought fit to dissolve this present fifty-fourth Cosa of the Kingdom of Talossa, do to that end publish this Our proclamation royal, hereby dissolving the said Cosa accordingly; and do discharge and excuse the Members of that Cosa from their meeting and attendance thereat from Monday the twenty-second day of June instant.  And We being desirous and resolved for the better governance of these Our realms to have the advice of Our people in the Ziu assembled, do hereby make known to all Our loyal commons, knights, and nobles Our royal will and pleasure to call and assemble a new Cosa, and do hereby further declare that We have given order that Our Chancery and Secretary of State do forthwith issue out writs and ballots in due form, and according to law, for the election of a new fifty-fifth Cosa as well as Senators for the provinces of Maritiimi-Maxhesti, Benito, and Vuode in their regular rotation, and for Cézembre to fill the present unexpired term.

Further, We desire at this time most heartily to thank and congratulate, on Our own behalf and that of the entire Talossan nation, the citizens who served in this now-dissolved fifty-fourth Cosa, especially thanking Dama Miestra Schiva for her faithful service as Our Seneschal during these last Cosas, and all the other members of the Government who so generously give of their time and effort for the good of our nation.  Further thanks are due to Sir Pol and S:reux Plätschisch, da Schir, and Grischun, whose present distinguished terms of service in the Senäts will end with the upcoming election.

Done under Our hand Royal at the city of Centennial in Colorado this thirtieth day of June being the Commemoration of Saint Paul Apostle and Martyr, in the year of salvation 2020, of the independence of Talossa the forty-first, and of Our reign the fifteenth.

— John Regeu

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Out of sheer curiosity, can I ask whether the provincial authorities in Maritiimi-Maxhesti, Benito, Vuode and Cézembre will be conducting their own Senäts elections, or getting the Chancery to do so (with reference to OrgLaw V:7)? The Free Democrats need to know to whom to address our candidate registrations

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

xpb

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 05, 2020, 05:17:26 PM
Out of sheer curiosity, can I ask whether the provincial authorities in Maritiimi-Maxhesti, Benito, Vuode and Cézembre will be conducting their own Senäts elections, or getting the Chancery to do so (with reference to OrgLaw V:7)? The Free Democrats need to know to whom to address our candidate registrations

Given the difficulty in having an election in Cézembre due to the absence of the Seneshal, I was recently appointed Senator and served for June legislation.  Should this condition persist, then perhaps I would again need to seek reappointment rather than election - it remains to be seen.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Given this logic, it seems that the current Organic and Statute Law of Talossa means that if there is no functioning provincial government, there can be no Senäts election, and therefore the King has free range to select a Senator from that province. If so, this is disgusting and must be changed

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Miestră Schivă, UrN

In case anyone was worrying, I'm told the SoS will be cranking up the elections mechanism tomorrow

Istefan Perþonest

Benito will be continuing its long tradition of having the Chancery run our elections.
Istefan Éovart Perþonest
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort
Cunstavál of Fiôvâ
Burgermeister of Inland Revenue

Açafat del Val

Quote from: xpb on July 05, 2020, 05:35:35 PM

Given the difficulty in having an election in Cézembre due to the absence of the Seneshal, I was recently appointed Senator and served for June legislation.  Should this condition persist, then perhaps I would again need to seek reappointment rather than election - it remains to be seen.

It seems that a Seneschal should be appointed with haste, or else the province will lack a Senator for the entire term.

IV.10 of the OrgLaw says: "If a Senator vacates his or her seat before the end of the term, the executive of the province shall appoint a Senator to sit until the next General Election or the next provincial election in that province, whichever is sooner, at which time the people of the province shall elect a Senator to serve the remainder of the term. If the provincial executive fails to appoint a Senator within a fortnight of the vacancy, the King or his Cunstavál shall appoint the Senator.

The key operative phrase is 'If a Senator vacates his or her seat', as opposed to 'Whenever a seat becomes vacant'. The King is not free to make an appointment in absence of the Seneschal if an election occurred and returned no senator. In other words, if no election somehow occurred, then John may not simply reappoint someone.

EDIT: III.7 of the 2017 OrgLaw has the same language, so my point still stands. I apologize for mixing up the OrgLaw versions.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms