Coronation Prep

Started by Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat, August 26, 2024, 02:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

A second gentle reminder that this is a deliberation among members of the Coletx d'Armeux Rexhital - you should be a recognized herald or fellow to participate.  I will consult with the Viceroy about the best way to include further public comment into this process.

Anyway, I have a Milwaukee Fire Department dress blues hat from the 1970s that we can use, if the original cannot be obtained.

-Dean
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

A phonetic spelling was how I was able to give my oath as Seneschal when I called the king to swear on "The Loom of Language." That's another quirk I think we should resume in some form.

Nevertheless, perhaps I should open a temporary sub-board of the Coletx for public comment. Thoughts?

-SVA/REH
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

I would suggest that we could simply start a thread on the general board for public comment, but I do not feel strongly either way, S:reu Viceroy.

-Dean
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Okay, so it seems like there's widespread agreement that this would be better to do in the GTA, even if we have to wait a while.  The Viceroy has expressed preference for an earlier ceremony than this would allow, but we're talking about a lifetime appointment, so I hope we can do it right.  Perhaps the Viceroy might be okay with a virtual ceremony to have him acknowledged as Heir Presumptive, and then do the coronation eight or nine months from now, when he might be able to commit to specific dates?  Then I think I have seen no opposition from any member of the Coletx or public with regards to making it a grand affair: inviting people, producing commemorative items, livestreaming it and putting it online, and so on.

Someone suggested leaving house name a secret until the event -- that seems fine to me if it's what the Viceroy would prefer, although it will complicate logistics very slightly.

I assume for regnal name it'll just be Txec, unless there's another given name to be preferred?

-Dean

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on September 01, 2024, 07:36:34 PMOkay, so it seems like there's widespread agreement that this would be better to do in the GTA, even if we have to wait a while.  The Viceroy has expressed preference for an earlier ceremony than this would allow, but we're talking about a lifetime appointment, so I hope we can do it right.  Perhaps the Viceroy might be okay with a virtual ceremony to have him acknowledged as Heir Presumptive, and then do the coronation eight or nine months from now, when he might be able to commit to specific dates?  Then I think I have seen no opposition from any member of the Coletx or public with regards to making it a grand affair: inviting people, producing commemorative items, livestreaming it and putting it online, and so on.

Someone suggested leaving house name a secret until the event -- that seems fine to me if it's what the Viceroy would prefer, although it will complicate logistics very slightly.

I assume for regnal name it'll just be Txec, unless there's another given name to be preferred?

-Dean

I absolutely agree the coronation should take place in the GTA at some future date. I had thought we'd have some sort of mini-accession event but even that is not required. I'm not worried about grandiose stuff here.

As for the other details, I would like my new arms to be ready upon my accession so the name of my house doesn't need to be a secret. I'm planning on simplicity here - The House of Nordselvâ or whatever that would be in Talossan. I also plan on using Txec as my regnal name also. Again, grandiose stuff is not required. Being king will be grand enough!

Even though I won't be the Squirrel Viceroy of Arms on my accession, I do hope to keep my status as a Herald in the Coletx.

-SVA/REH
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

I think it'd be "Txec Regeu del Ca Nordselvă."  Arms will presumably be marshalled as such: quarterly, 1 and 4 argent, the Chinese glyph Ben sable, 2 and 3 ermine, a scroll bendwise sinister gules.  It could also be the more complicated: quarterly, 1 and 4 argent, the Chinese glyph Ben sable, 2 and 3 ermine, a cross engrailed enhanced and offset to dexter and in sinister base a scroll bendwise sinister gules.

There is ironclad precedent that you shall retain your status as a herald.

-Dean

I would prefer the more complicated quartering as it would portray all the elements of my current arms.

-SVA/REH
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Okay, here's a mockup of that:

The third and fourth quarters are clipped, as is normal for quarterings like this.

The rules state further that "Members of the peerage are entitled to enhancement of their achievements of arms consisting of a motto, a crowned helm, a crest, and mantling. Dukes alone are further entitled to adorn their achievements of arms with supporters."

Obviously, the king is the source of honours of all sorts, and so you will be able to just do whatever you want, but it is my advice that you adhere to the established system, the better to support the order you will impose and govern.  So I think the only thing remaining would be to choose supporters and a crest, since you already have a motto and mantling comes from the primary tincture (argent).  Did you have any thoughts or preferences?

-Dean

I don't know if it would look weird or not, but for my supporters one could be a unicorn representing my Scottish heritage, and the other supporter a Badger representing my teaching career (I teach at a school with Badger as a mascot and have for the past 21 years). For my crest, an elephant represents my character of strength, resilience, slow to anger, etc. The arms with quartering themselves look good to me.

-SVA/REH
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Okay. That all sounds fine to me. It will take me a bit to find art in suitable style for both a unicorn and a badger. The program I use already has both, but one is in French style and the other is in German style. I might just lift an SVG from existing arms that are in the public domain. Then I can be sure to find ones that are nicely shaded and langued and everything. Same with the elephant.

Question: for the crest, I believe traditional style would have the elephant facing dexter on top of the helm. I see you also have that for your badge: are you okay with that or would you prefer an elephant rampant?

I will write up the blazon tonight. Naturally, all members of the Coletx should feel free to weigh in on any of this.

-Dean

An Elephant to Dexter in my crest is perfectly fine with me. Thanks.

-SVA/REH
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

This website has lots of Heraldric SVG images that can be ungrouped and colored appropriately. It's the one I use most of the time. 

Tons of unicorns, elephants, and several badgers.

https://heraldicart.org/unicorn/
https://heraldicart.org/elephant/
https://heraldicart.org/badger/

-TFF
Premieir of Maricopa
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on September 02, 2024, 07:42:10 AMOkay, here's a mockup of that:

I don't know if there is any precedent for it, or if it is totally out of line. But looking at this the quartering is somewhat lost in the meeting of argent and ermine. We could incorporate all elements of the original arms by moving the cross overall for example a rough blazon might be:

Quarterly, 1 and 4 argent, the Chinese glyph Ben sable, 2 and 3 ermine, a scroll bendwise sinister gules, and over all a cross engrailed.

This separates the quarters with the corss, while leaving the scrolls in quarters 2 and 3. Just an idea.

-TFF
Premieir of Maricopa
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

I considered the suggestion of the Fulbright Fellow, but unfortunately, imposing an ordinary over all during the marshalling appears to have a specific heraldic meaning (even aside from the break with Talossan precedent) since it will read as an impaling or new arms instead of a quartering to indicate the union of his personal house and the realm.

In other words, quartering preserves the integrity of the individual arms.  Putting an engrailed cross over everything would make this an entirely new achievement, instead of a quartering, and would imply a right by blood to Talossa.

Thank you for the art links!  Great!

-Dean

Quote from: Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat on September 02, 2024, 04:38:40 PMThis website has lots of Heraldric SVG images that can be ungrouped and colored appropriately. It's the one I use most of the time. 

Tons of unicorns, elephants, and several badgers.

https://heraldicart.org/unicorn/
https://heraldicart.org/elephant/
https://heraldicart.org/badger/

-TFF

What a great source!

-SVA/REH
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode