[CRL] The Immigration Reform (Quality over Quantity) Bill

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, September 03, 2024, 06:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Bråneu Excelsio on September 23, 2024, 03:21:46 PMI believe raising the bar for immigrating to the Kingdom is not only a good thing but also in line with derivatist values. If we compare the rules for immigrating to a macronation, asking for just one paragraph is no problem at all.

To me, derivatism means acting in accordance with the way a self-interested nation-state in our situation would act, not just mimicking bigger countries.  But I know that opinions differ, and that's beside the point.

If you're immigrating to a macronation, that typically means you're going to be physically moving and living in that nation (or you're paying a huge sum of money in lieu of that, anyway).  You'll be consuming their resources and contributing to their economy -- driving on the roads, visiting the hospital, buying gas, etc.  Your family is probably coming with you, and you will gain the ability to pass on citizenship to your offspring.  You will obey the laws or possibly commit crimes.  It is a huge change in your life, probably forever, and it's typically done at great risk or great cost.

Accordingly, the immigration process can be quite strenuous -- in some countries, it's nearly impossible -- and people are willing to do a lot to immigrate.  Every single day, there are people who spend every penny they have, walk miles through the desert, or drown on a makeshift raft... seeking a better life for themselves or their children.

But Talossan citizenship is a burden so light that it can literally be forgotten.  Even our territorial claims are 100% administered by our large neighbor, the United States.  It's an incredible and valuable thing, but it's also completely voluntary. 

The barriers to immigration should be realistic, then.  They should be minimal, emphasize volume, and highlight those individuals who stand out from the crowd.

Quote from: Bråneu Excelsio on September 23, 2024, 03:21:46 PMI recall my own immigration application, where I wrote in a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, and it probably looked like the words of an absolute madman.

We shouldn't institute new laws that might block future Bråneu Excelsios from the country, just because they didn't read the fine print on the application instructions.  You were friendly, interested, and eager... we would definitely have been poorer if you'd been rejected because of your essay!

Note that this is a really good argument against the bill!  The essay instructions already say "This essay is perhaps the most critical element of your immigration application and will be published on your profile as part of your introduction to other citizens. Please write a bit about why you wish to become Talossan."

Some people don't really understand that, don't pay close enough attention to it, or just don't read instructions at all... but they might be great citizens like you, Bråneu!  Let's keep the doors wide open, so they can get a fair chance, too!

Quote from: Bråneu Excelsio on September 23, 2024, 03:21:46 PMit's simple "too cheap" to try and become a talossan so over 95% of prospective citizens don't even care enough to finish their process. If I wrote a couple of paragraphs a few days ago to be admitted into a cool secret society calling themselves a micronation, I'd definitely would like to see if I was admitted, instead of just vaguely remembering I did a form.

This experiment was conducted in real time over a period of years.  The Republic of Talossa had stricter immigration requirements, and so they usually only got serious applicants willing to jump the hurdles.  Unfortunately, their immigration rate ended up much lower, too -- Dama Miestra described this as a trade-off that they made.  I think this is not a mistake we should repeat.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I'd be happy with an amendment saying that the Immigration Minister has to make a monthly report to the Ziu of all applications for citizenship which didn't get posted and why they didn't get posted, if that would make any difference (probably won't)

Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 24, 2024, 04:24:23 PMI'd be happy with an amendment saying that the Immigration Minister has to make a monthly report to the Ziu of all applications for citizenship which didn't get posted and why they didn't get posted, if that would make any difference (probably won't)
That's a reasonable improvement, and I very much appreciate the change. Thank you.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Out of interest, I went and found my essay from when I immigrated (12 years ago on Monday, actually). Here is what I wrote:

QuoteI am fascinated by the concept of a micro nation. I read a lot about Talossa before I requested to immigrate. I am tired of the large "macro" nations and their petty bickering and refusal to honor even the most basic human rights without requiring something in return. I believe Talossa and it's philosophy fits more into my world view. Plus, I am a big fan of all things royal so having a king as my ruler is an added benefit!

Who knew how prescient that last sentence would turn out to be!
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
El Sovind Pudatïu / The Heir Presumptive
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Within a few years you were a republican :D

And look at you now :D

"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 22, 2024, 05:08:38 PMThus, I call upon the CRL being @Ian Plätschisch , @Glüc da Dhi S.H. and @þerxh Sant-Enogat , to take up this bill (text as in the first post in this thread) with a view to getting it on the next Clark.

Why has the CRL not taken up this bill? @Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Tric'hard Lenxheir

BUILD THE WALL!!! That is basically what I see in this bill. We want immigration but only smart people who have lots of time on their hands.
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator and Man Without A Party)

Ian Plätschisch

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Quotebe amended by addition of the bolded text and deletion of struck-through text as follows:

Structuring the bill like this makes the meaning of the text dependent on the formatting. It might be preferable to structure it as "Lex x, which currently reads: [...] be amended to read [...]"

QuoteIf the Immigration Minister considers that this essay shows an insufficient understanding of or interest in Talossa and what Talossan citizenship entails

"Insufficient" here is undefined and very open to interpretation. Insufficient for what? What bar needs to be cleared here? I would recommend somehow making this a bit more specific or at least define for what purpose the understanding needs to be sufficient.

QuoteThe Ministry of Immigration shall [...]put them in touch with Talossan citizens who are identified by the Ministry as being able and willing to help them pursue those interests.

One of the interests listed (and which will be selected quite frequently I suspect) is politics. To help a prospective citizen pursue a political career seems dangerously close to broosking and this clause to me reads like an open invitation to do so.

My recommendation would be to address these points before passing the bill.
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre

þerxh Sant-Enogat

Approved, Glüc's last remarks point out real risks which I don't know how to adress in such a bill
þerxh Sant-Enogat, SMC, MC
Sénéchal de Cézembre,
Túischac'h dal 60:éă Cosă,
Duceu pareßel dal Aliançù Progreßïu

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Thanks for these comments.

The format will remain as is, as this formatting is used in the Clark both on the Database and in the PDF version.

As to the first comment, the wording will be changed to

"If the Immigration Minister considers that this essay misunderstands the nature of Talossa or the rights and duties of Talossan citizenship, or gives insufficient information to enable citizens to ask meaningful questions of the prospective,"

That's a pretty good definition of "insuffient".

As to the second comment, "broosking" is defined as recruitment to *a particular political party*. Thus: "In doing so the Ministry shall not promote any particular political party to the exclusion of any other." (In practice, I assume this means either giving intros to all registered parties or none).

These seem like both straightforward fixes.