News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Ünă Cumpetaziun da Mocts

Started by Iac Marscheir, October 05, 2024, 02:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iac Marscheir

Per lor qi non s'aziuient över els evints in l'óspileu #glheþ in el serveir, Miestră Schivă tent propoçescu l'idéă d'iensă cumpetaziun per dels papiereux scriuts in Talossan, cün ün prix comtantesc per el gagnheir. Éu en perceitéu com'iensă uportunità à levitar la naziun s'intereçù in sieu glheþ, más ocså volt staxar nonobstind q'hi estadra da toct intereçù in această idéă starp els citaxhiéns non-ladintschiçeschti.

(For those who don't keep themselves updated regarding the events in the #glheþ channel in the server, Miestră Schivă has proposed the idea of a competition for essays written in Talossan, with a cash prize for the winner. I see it as an opportunity to raise the nation's interest in her language, but I also want to see whether there's any interest at all among citizens who aren't Ladintschen.)

(What does everyone think?)

¿Qet pensa toct i tzară?

Breneir Tzaracomprada

I am skeptical this will get a high participation rate but it sounds like a good idea. Has there ever been a coordinated effort to expand Talossan vocabulary? We have tens of thousands of words which is good for a conlang but it might be a fun exercise to have a word translation drive to expand the number of Talossan words even higher and improve the translator. AI might have some implications here.

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 05, 2024, 02:28:23 PMHas there ever been a coordinated effort to expand Talossan vocabulary?
Dictionary expansion right now is based on attestation or internal coherence, which is to say if a word has a history of being used a certain way, or if its derivation follows established principles, it gets included.

QuoteAI might have some implications here.
How so?
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I would enter such a contest, probably.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 05, 2024, 02:40:08 PMDictionary expansion right now is based on attestation or internal coherence, which is to say if a word has a history of being used a certain way, or if its derivation follows established principles, it gets included.

Using those criteria as guidelines I would certainly be interested in a dictionary expansion workgroup. Might even be ripe for cooperation betwen national language authorities and the new leadership of the Royal Society.

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 05, 2024, 02:40:08 PMHow so?

I assumed that many translation service portals use some kind of AI in the background. And then made a further assumption that some kind of cheap AI service might be available. I could certainly be imagining all of this as a layperson.

Barclamïu da Miéletz

Quote from: Iac Marscheir on October 05, 2024, 02:10:48 PMalso want to see whether there's any interest at all among citizens who aren't Ladintschen.
Interested, but not going to participate because I don't know a WORD of Talossan.
Barclamïu da Miéletz
=====
Creator of Talossan number plates and Talossan road signs as well as Consul for Cézembre in Vuode and PSC in the Zouaves
Founder of Talossa24, Deputy Minister of STUFF and member of COFFEE

Iac Marscheir

Quote from: Barclamïu da Miéletz on October 05, 2024, 05:26:44 PM
Quote from: Iac Marscheir on October 05, 2024, 02:10:48 PMalso want to see whether there's any interest at all among citizens who aren't Ladintschen.
Interested, but not going to participate because I don't know a WORD of Talossan.
https://oversteir.talossa.com/

Miestră Schivă, UrN

"Talossa" is a word in Talossan

Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Barclamïu da Miéletz

Barclamïu da Miéletz
=====
Creator of Talossan number plates and Talossan road signs as well as Consul for Cézembre in Vuode and PSC in the Zouaves

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Yes. That's how borrowings work. "Pierogi" is a word in Polish and in English.

"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Barclamïu da Miéletz

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 05, 2024, 05:50:30 PMYes. That's how borrowings work. "Pierogi" is a word in Polish and in English.
I forgot about those.

(How you had to choose a Polish example simply because I'm Polish 😂)
Barclamïu da Miéletz
=====

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Considering that, your pronunciation is excellent. Could've fooled me!
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Barclamïu da Miéletz

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 05, 2024, 06:48:39 PM

Considering that, your pronunciation is excellent. Could've fooled me!
I just try not to butcher, that's all.
Barclamïu da Miéletz
=====

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Well, pierogi is one of the only two Polish words I know, the other being solidarność

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 05, 2024, 04:29:15 PMI assumed that many translation service portals use some kind of AI in the background. And then made a further assumption that some kind of cheap AI service might be available. I could certainly be imagining all of this as a layperson.

Sadly the issue is that you need a humongous body of 1:1 translations for that to be possible, even before we get to how costly (computationally or econominally) it is to actually train a model. The situation hasn't really changed since the last time we discussed this, not on account of technology not advancing, but because there's no way we could ever amass enough training data.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB MC
Finance Minister / Ministreu dals Finançuns
Deputy Secretary of State / Distain Secretar d'Estat
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team