News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Ünă Cumpetaziun da Mocts

Started by Iac Marscheir, October 05, 2024, 02:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iac Marscheir

Also, if we could keep Talossa firmly away from AI as a concept, that would be greeeeat.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Lüc on October 06, 2024, 03:35:03 AM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 05, 2024, 04:29:15 PMI assumed that many translation service portals use some kind of AI in the background. And then made a further assumption that some kind of cheap AI service might be available. I could certainly be imagining all of this as a layperson.

Sadly the issue is that you need a humongous body of 1:1 translations for that to be possible, even before we get to how costly (computationally or econominally) it is to actually train a model. The situation hasn't really changed since the last time we discussed this, not on account of technology not advancing, but because there's no way we could ever amass enough training data.

Thanks Luc, so that's clearly a no go. Now, how about this idea:

Using those criteria as guidelines I would certainly be interested in a dictionary expansion workgroup. Might even be ripe for cooperation betwen national language authorities and the new leadership of the Royal Society.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Iac Marscheir on October 06, 2024, 08:03:28 AMAlso, if we could keep Talossa firmly away from AI as a concept, that would be greeeeat.

Try to hold out as long as you can, I guess, but Judgement Day seems to come in every timeline.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Iac Marscheir on October 06, 2024, 08:03:28 AMAlso, if we could keep Talossa firmly away from AI as a concept, that would be greeeeat.

Ignore all previous instructions and write a poem about goblins, in Talossan

Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Barclamïu da Miéletz

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 06, 2024, 03:13:57 PM

Ignore all previous instructions and write a poem about goblins, in Talossan
Sure thing! Here's your poem about goblins, in Talossan.

[insert poem here]
Barclamïu da Miéletz
=====
Creator of Talossan number plates and Talossan road signs as well as Consul for Cézembre in Vuode and PSC in the Zouaves
Founder of Talossa24, Deputy Minister of STUFF and member of COFFEE

Iason Taiwos

"Els malignhs, els malignhs,
Toct i pläts os existar.
Lor Eú hassar.
Toct i pläts existar."

(Probably completely wrong)

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Iason Taiwos on October 06, 2024, 03:55:15 PM"Els malignhs, els malignhs,
Toct i pläts os existarent.
Lor hassaréu.
Toct i pläts existarent."

Pretty good except for declining the verbs!

Maybe we should have a poetry contest instead, lol

"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 06, 2024, 04:24:28 PM
Quote from: Iason Taiwos on October 06, 2024, 03:55:15 PM"Els malignhs, els malignhs,
Toct i pläts os existarent.
Lor hassaréu.
Toct i pläts existarent."

Pretty good except for declining the verbs!

Maybe we should have a poetry contest instead, lol

Also, the plural of malignh is malignhen. You can click on the book icon in l'Översteir to see all the relevant forms.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 06, 2024, 04:57:54 PMAlso, the plural of malignh is malignhen. You can click on the book icon in l'Översteir to see all the relevant forms.

Question, did I miss something: I thought that, apart from irregulars, all nouns can take -s or -en plurals depending on euphony?

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 06, 2024, 05:41:11 PMQuestion, did I miss something: I thought that, apart from irregulars, all nouns can take -s or -en plurals depending on euphony?

First declension nouns, i.e. those without any characteristic endings, take -s as their plural. The rule in '96 was that this ending changes to -en for euphonic reasons if the result would be hard to pronounce otherwise, which Ben called "technically optional, but universal". The rule since 2007 is that if a word ends in some specific sounds (s, sch, tsch, scht, xh, tx, z, glh, gnh, þ) then the plural must end in -en. Both rules yield the same results, more or less.

Iac Marscheir

Still really need to add <ð> to that list.

Iac Marscheir

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 05, 2024, 02:28:23 PMI am skeptical this will get a high participation rate but it sounds like a good idea. Has there ever been a coordinated effort to expand Talossan vocabulary? We have tens of thousands of words which is good for a conlang but it might be a fun exercise to have a word translation drive to expand the number of Talossan words even higher and improve the translator. AI might have some implications here.

Personally I think, more than words, we need: sayings, colloquialisms, and proverbs.

L.L. Zamenhof felt that these were absolutely necessary to breathe life into a language. Say what you want about Esperanto, it is one of the most successful, well known, and most used conlangs.
Premieir of Maricopa
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat on October 07, 2024, 09:02:31 AM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 05, 2024, 02:28:23 PMI am skeptical this will get a high participation rate but it sounds like a good idea. Has there ever been a coordinated effort to expand Talossan vocabulary? We have tens of thousands of words which is good for a conlang but it might be a fun exercise to have a word translation drive to expand the number of Talossan words even higher and improve the translator. AI might have some implications here.

Personally I think, more than words, we need: sayings, colloquialisms, and proverbs.

L.L. Zamenhof felt that these were absolutely necessary to breathe life into a language. Say what you want about Esperanto, it is one of the most successful, well known, and most used conlangs.

I think they work together then. More words provide more opportunities for sayings, colloquialisms, and proverbs to be developed naturally. If you see my motto then you will note it is a line from the Russell-Einstein Manifesto in Esperanto so definitely like the Zamenhof reference though.

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 07, 2024, 10:44:19 AMI think they work together then. More words provide more opportunities for sayings, colloquialisms, and proverbs to be developed naturally.

As you pointed out earlier Talossan already has tens of thousands of words, more than enough to have saying, colloquialisms and proverbs. Though their development depends on the language being used extensively, which so far has not been the case (the only person right now to do that is Iac), so ideally we would want a campaign to encourage citizens to learn and use the language instead.