News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Ünă Cumpetaziun da Mocts

Started by Iac Marscheir, October 05, 2024, 02:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 08, 2024, 12:40:41 PM
Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on October 08, 2024, 12:15:20 PMI have struggled to translate this phrase from Sir Luc: Créu ça nominadra 'n cervixhă, propi qe reformaziun.

I can recognize a few words like creed, name?, surgery? reform?

It's supposed to mean "I believe it's called surgery, rather than reform", but it's not quite right.

Surely it would be Créu qe ça se nominadra? Possibly not, if I can't remember Talossan grammar I just use French grammar

Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 08, 2024, 02:12:14 PMSurely it would be Créu qe ça se nominadra? Possibly not, if I can't remember Talossan grammar I just use French grammar

Personally I would say Créu qe si en nominadra, since it seems like the passive reflexive of Romance languages doesn't exist in Talossan in the same way:

Quote from: Scúrzniâ Gramáticâ, p. 7230.5 In other Romance languages, the reflexive is used to substitute for an impersonal construction, as in Spanish Se prohibe aparcar -- "Parking prohibited," literally, "Parking prohibits itself"; or Se habla español -- "Spanish Spoken Here" ("Spanish speaks itself"). In Talossan, it is more common to use a true impersonal construction with si ("one") or, as in English, a simple passive:

Si tradica la parcaziun -- Parking Prohibited (lit. "One prohibits parking")
Parcaziun Tradicadâ -- Parking Prohibited
Aici si parla Talossán -- Talossan Spoken Here (lit. "Here one speaks Talossan")
Talossán Parlat Aici -- Talossan Spoken Here
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Iac Marscheir on October 08, 2024, 01:16:07 PM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 07, 2024, 03:09:03 PMIf a group of people want to help expand the language vocabulary [...]

Noi tiennent detxà 'n pläts per creatar es suxhestar dels noveux mocts. C'e aicì: El Fil dels Noveux Mocts Suxhestats

Excellent, thank you Iac. I wasn't aware of that thread. So that is considered the workgroup then.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 08, 2024, 02:28:15 PM
Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 08, 2024, 02:12:14 PMSurely it would be Créu qe ça se nominadra? Possibly not, if I can't remember Talossan grammar I just use French grammar

Personally I would say Créu qe si en nominadra, since it seems like the passive reflexive of Romance languages doesn't exist in Talossan in the same way:

Quote from: Scúrzniâ Gramáticâ, p. 7230.5 In other Romance languages, the reflexive is used to substitute for an impersonal construction, as in Spanish Se prohibe aparcar -- "Parking prohibited," literally, "Parking prohibits itself"; or Se habla español -- "Spanish Spoken Here" ("Spanish speaks itself"). In Talossan, it is more common to use a true impersonal construction with si ("one") or, as in English, a simple passive:

Si tradica la parcaziun -- Parking Prohibited (lit. "One prohibits parking")
Parcaziun Tradicadâ -- Parking Prohibited
Aici si parla Talossán -- Talossan Spoken Here (lit. "Here one speaks Talossan")
Talossán Parlat Aici -- Talossan Spoken Here

Eu fost me sovenénçar qe el Talossan resembla pü el Françal qe el Castetxan, gramaticălmint

"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

I think Miestra said that Talossan either resembles more French than Castilian (or maybe more Castilian than French) lol. I'm trying here but I cannot get the hang of this language!
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Iac Marscheir

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on October 08, 2024, 03:08:26 PMI think Miestra said that Talossan either resembles more French than Castilian (or maybe more Castilian than French) lol. I'm trying here but I cannot get the hang of this language!
Liretz las Recomendăs es zemandetz toct voschtri quesziuns in el scumpart apropriäts. Si lor respunsarha glätsmint, es el cudenì funziunarha per toct i tzară d'alter.

(Read las Recomendăs and ask all your questions in the appropriate board. They will gladly be answered, and the same will work for everyone else.)

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Iac Marscheir on October 08, 2024, 03:19:40 PM
Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on October 08, 2024, 03:08:26 PMI think Miestra said that Talossan either resembles more French than Castilian (or maybe more Castilian than French) lol. I'm trying here but I cannot get the hang of this language!
Liretz las Recomendăs es zemandetz toct voschtri quesziuns in el scumpart apropriäts. Si lor respunsarha glätsmint, es el cudenì funziunarha per toct i tzară d'alter.

(Read las Recomendăs and ask all your questions in the appropriate board. They will gladly be answered, and the same will work for everyone else.)

Ja ocså 'n canal din ár Discord

Barclamïu da Miéletz

I wonder if Latin will help me with Talossan (yes, I learn Latin, I have to because I'm on my school's music profile).
Barclamïu da Miéletz
=====
Creator of Talossan number plates and Talossan road signs as well as Consul for Cézembre in Vuode and PSC in the Zouaves
Founder of Talossa24, Deputy Minister of STUFF and member of COFFEE

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Barclamïu da Miéletz on October 08, 2024, 04:20:39 PMI wonder if Latin will help me with Talossan (yes, I learn Latin, I have to because I'm on my school's music profile).

It's a Romance language, it will help you about as much as it helps you with French or Italian. I.e. you'll recognize a lot of words and the basic grammatical structures. The big uniqueness in Talossan is that it doesn't have a subjunctive mood (IMHO because Ben was a linguistic ignoramus lol)

Iac Marscheir

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 08, 2024, 09:04:38 PM(IMHO because Ben was a linguistic ignoramus lol)
Non c'e'n opiniun. C'e'n fäcts.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Iac Marscheir on October 08, 2024, 10:47:22 PM
Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 08, 2024, 09:04:38 PM(IMHO because Ben was a linguistic ignoramus lol)
Non c'e'n opiniun. C'e'n fäcts.

Provat din toct glheþen, mestreu d'aucün

Istefan Perþonest

I note that there have been two Windows keyboards designed for Talossan, one by Ma la Mha (linked on the wiki here, using standard precomposed characters), one by me (among the many keyboards here, using Unicode's combining diacritics). The many other keyboards at the second link include some others also usable for, though not designed for, Talossan.
Istefan Éovart Perþonest
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort
Cunstavál of Fiôvâ

Sir Lüc

I also use a custom keyboard that includes all necessary characters for Talossan, both on Windows and Linux; this was mostly necessary because I was too used to the symbol placements of the Italian keyboard layout, so US layout based custom layouts were a no-no.

(Of course, making a custom layout was a great excuse for including many useful characters for programming, like ` and ~, and capitalised accented letters - particularly sentence-starting verb "È", "It is" in Italian, which is often replaced with the hideous "E'")
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB MC
Finance Minister / Ministreu dals Finançuns
Deputy Secretary of State / Distain Secretar d'Estat
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Sir Lüc on October 09, 2024, 12:49:36 PMI also use a custom keyboard that includes all necessary characters for Talossan

Point me to a quick tutorial on how to make a custom Windows kybd?

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 09, 2024, 05:35:33 PM
Quote from: Sir Lüc on October 09, 2024, 12:49:36 PMI also use a custom keyboard that includes all necessary characters for Talossan

Point me to a quick tutorial on how to make a custom Windows kybd?

You need this tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=102134

It will let you:
- create a completely new layout (probably not what you want)
- load a layout currently installed on your machine (eg. en-us) and edit it (File -> Load existing)
- load a .klc source file, like the ones Istefan shared, and edit them further (File -> Load source)

Once you do that you can simply select a "shift state" on the left hand side - that is, if you want to edit what characters you enter when Shift and/or AltGr and/or ctrl are pressed. You will typically want to edit what happens when AltGr is pressed, so you don't alter any of the normal functions of your keys, and then when AltGr+Shift are pressed, so you can enter the capitalised versions of the same characters.

Once you select a shift state, you just click on each key and assign a character to it by copypasting it from elsewhere. For instance, these are the characters I assigned to each key when AltGr is pressed:

You cannot view this attachment.

When you're done, head to the Project menu to give it a name, test/validate it, and finally build it into an installer (Build DLL and setup package). You can then use the installer to add the layout to your PC and any other Windows machine.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB MC
Finance Minister / Ministreu dals Finançuns
Deputy Secretary of State / Distain Secretar d'Estat
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team