News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

The most important Senäts election in years

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, July 15, 2020, 06:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

This is something that, to my discredit, I hadn't worked out until yesterday, when I realised why it was so vitally important that Ián Tamorán get on the ballot for the Cézembre Senäts seat.

The answer for that is: given the seats up for election this time - if the incumbent Senators win in Cézembre and Maritiimi-Maxhestic, conservative or at least anti-reform forces will have a blocking majority.

Let's look at the current makeup:
- the four Senäts seats not up for re-election are two Free Democrats, and two Senators who, in the 54th Cosa, voted CONTRA on everything the Government proposed, no exaggeration. One is acting out of personal bitterness because the Government tried (unsucessfully) to hold him to account for lying on his immigration form. The other is an embodiment of extreme Monarchist reaction, a former UC justice who resigned under threat of impeachment, who holds the current Seneschál personally responsible for driving Talossans away, due to my repellent personality or skill in voodoo hexes or something.
- it seems safe to predict that the Free Democrats will win this time in Vuode, and the NPW in Benito.

That's FreeDems 3, NPW 1, Absolutely Negative Forces Of Obstruction 2 so far.

What about Cézembre and M-M? Sir X. Pol Briga is a Talossan with a long-standing record of achievement who has earned great respect. Nevertheless, he was a reliable support of monarchist conservatism for most of that time, and he was parachuted into the Cézembre seat at the last minute by royal appointment - after the elected Free Democrat senator was disqualified due to a muck-up in the framing of the OrgLaw. With no disrespect, I think we can safely predict how Sir Pol would vote on any further democratic reforms.

As to Ián Plätschisch, I don't have much bad to say about the incumbent Distáin. But he has clearly set out his shingle as a voice of (centrist?) conservatism this time. He has already indicated that he will vote against even letting the people have a say in referendum the future of royal powers, never mind any actual changes to those power. (It's also important to note that, should he be defeated in the Senäts, he will no doubt take up Cosa seats and continue to contribute very well.)

In summary, then: If X. Pôl Briga and Ián Plätschisch are re-elected to the Senäts, that's 4 out of 8 Senators committed to blocking any OrgLaw reforms, and in some cases to blocking everything we do at all. Even if Free Democrats and Peculiarists get a thumping supermajority, this "Gang of Four" could ensure the status quo for a whole Cosa term.

Please don't let them.

Vote for Ián Tamorán in Cézembre.
Vote for Cresti dal Nouacastra in Maritiimi-Maxhestic.

Grült méirçi.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Ian Plätschisch

Not gonna lie, this is actually pretty exciting.

I'll have my response prepared shortly.

GV

Imagine a conservative Cosâ, but FreeDems in 4 of 8 Senäts seats.  It is too easy with the current Senäts setup for one or two people to hold any legislation hostage.

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

The NPW, in turn, endorses the Senate bids of Cresti d.I. Nouacastra-L. (MM) and Ian Tamoran (Cez).
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Is it wise for a "centrist conservative" to be rehabilitating the slogan of the TNP, a party which would be called "alt-right" at best in modern terms?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 16, 2020, 08:26:17 PM
Is it wise for a "centrist conservative" to be rehabilitating the slogan of the TNP, a party which would be called "alt-right" at best in modern terms?
I'm not...it is the official motto of Maritiimi-Maxhestic and it has been so for years.

Per CBLA.A.1: http://wiki.talossa.com/Statutory_law_of_Maritiimi-Maxhestic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on July 16, 2020, 08:28:32 PM
I'm not...it is the official motto of Maritiimi-Maxhestic and it has been so for years.

And do you know why it is the official motto of M-M? Because it is a hangover from when M-M (and before that Port Maxhéstic) was the personal fiefdom of Count I. von Metaira and his fascistic TNP, of which that was the motto.

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 16, 2020, 08:34:17 PM
Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on July 16, 2020, 08:28:32 PM

And do you know why it is the official motto of M-M? Because it is a hangover from when M-M (and before that Port Maxhéstic) was the personal fiefdom of Count I. von Metaira and his fascistic TNP, of which that was the motto.
That is unfortunate, but MMers have been using and hearing the phrase for decades with no connection to Count von Metaira or his ideology, so I think I am OK.

C.d.I. Nouacastra-Läxhirescu, MSC

As some of you may have heard the speech written by my opponent for the MM Senatorial Election, I would like to comment on a few things that were said, specifically about myself.

While S:reu Plätschisch has indeed successfully authored many OrgLaw reforms, he stated that I have not written nor passed any whatsoever, and that I have completely failed at my duties as both Grand General Secretary, and as M3. During my time in both the provincial government, and national government, there have been various factors that prohibited me from doing so (such as my military service, including job training and multiple short deployments). While this has hindered me in the past, I have always made an effort to notify my colleagues that I would be unable to serve. However, while serving the provincial government of MM, I have also continuously served in the Schiva cabinet, dealing with multiple cases as Attorney-General, and the commander of the Royal Talossan Air Corps, though, mainly in an honorary capacity.

Another point that S:reu Plätschisch failed to mention is that our current Grand General Secretary, S:reu Seguxhameir d'Üc, has been rogue his entire time since his appointment. Although I do take personal responsibility and admit that I have missed the opening of our Assembly, the blame for the lack of government activity in MM cannot be placed solely on me.

The main takeaway from this is that regardless of what life throws at me, I always make an effort to Talossa, and this is exactly how I intend to proceed as Senator of MM. In addition to this, I would like to make it known that I have never missed a vote in the Cosa, and even when I was away from Talossa, I ensured that my votes were still submitted. While not authoring new reforms, I continuously ensure that my voice is heard through my votes. As Senator, this will allow me to have a greater impact on the legislative processes of both MM, and Talossa as a whole.
[div style="text-align:center;"]Cresti da Ion Nouacastra-Läxhirescu, MSC
Attorney, National Bar of Talossa
The Well-Met Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms

xpb

I appreciate the commentary, and will be happy to engage in any debate with the honorable Ián Plätschisch regarding representation of Cézembre.  As some may recall, I was active in the Reunision efforts to eliminate the division between Talossans.  I do support the Monarchy, but I am of an open mind for both reform and tradition.  As to any inference that I have somehow attempted to subvert the office -- I merely noted that there was no sitting Senator for the province, found that there was an impasse in getting that resolved, and volunteered to serve.  The King indeed did make that proclamation, and I served for one Clark.  I have served as Senator for the province in the past, and I am sure that any of our citizens who express interest are doing so in the best interest of Cézembre and the Kingdom. 

My message in the old Witt of Apr 20, 2012 at 11:05pm
As it appears that votes of confidence in the current Clark have sufficient tally in favor, thus eliminating the opportunity to throw ourselves out of office:

The Viensità Ciumisâ Cézembre VCC-CRO The Cézembre Reunification Organization -- as of Reunision Day which is still temporally present in the Mountain Time Zone, announces to our Monarch, John by the Grace of God, King of Talossa and of all its Realms and Regions, King of Cézembre, Sovereign Lord and Protector of Pengöpäts and the New Falklands, Defender of the Faith, Leader of the Armed Forces, Viceroy of Hoxha and Vicar of Atatürk and to all ministerial positions that:

1. Our party name has now changed to the REUNISION PARTY
2. Our party will exist only until the time of the next general election
3. Our party offers, to the best of our abilty, to all those who have recently made statements of Returniture/Reunision Oathings that have interest, a seat representing the Reunision Party in what is hoped to be the final Clark of the current formation of the Ziu. Since we only have 13 seats to allocate, as well as needing the assent of Ián Tamorán and Eoin Ursüm in order to reallocate certain seats at their own volition, there may come a point where requests would be made beyond the ability of our party to fulfill. It is hoped that other parties will consider offering seats those beyond our capacity to accommodate.

Long live the King, and we look forward to the future of our great realm.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: xpb on July 17, 2020, 11:33:25 AM
I appreciate the commentary, and will be happy to engage in any debate with the honorable Ián Plätschisch regarding representation of Cézembre.

Well, good, but your opponent is Ián Tamorán.

QuoteI merely noted that there was no sitting Senator for the province, found that there was an impasse in getting that resolved, and volunteered to serve

The issue is not with your commendable willingness to serve; but with the fact that the King didn't fill the Cézembre Senäts seat as soon as it became lamentably vacant, but only when the Non-Hereditary Monarchy bill was up for its final reading. There is an ongoing issue with the King being helpful to Talossa only when it's helpful to defending his powers.

What is your opinion on the Ranked Choice Referendum Bill in the Hopper, which allows Talossans to have a say on whether they approve of the current Royal powers? This is important to dispel any erroneous notions that your role in the Senäts is to defend Royal interests, not Cézembrian interests.

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Cresti d.I. Nouacastra-L. on July 17, 2020, 09:20:05 AM
As some of you may have heard the speech written by my opponent for the MM Senatorial Election, I would like to comment on a few things that were said, specifically about myself.

While S:reu Plätschisch has indeed successfully authored many OrgLaw reforms, he stated that I have not written nor passed any whatsoever, and that I have completely failed at my duties as both Grand General Secretary, and as M3. During my time in both the provincial government, and national government, there have been various factors that prohibited me from doing so (such as my military service, including job training and multiple short deployments). While this has hindered me in the past, I have always made an effort to notify my colleagues that I would be unable to serve. However, while serving the provincial government of MM, I have also continuously served in the Schiva cabinet, dealing with multiple cases as Attorney-General, and the commander of the Royal Talossan Air Corps, though, mainly in an honorary capacity.
I stated that you have never passed any bill in the Provincial Assembly; I didn't look at your record in the Ziu. I also never said you failed at being the Grand General Secretary. The failure I mentioned was the one that is happening right now. presumably there is nothing outside of Talossa currently preventing you from taking five minutes to open the Assembly Call, and if there is, you have not communicated it.
QuoteAnother point that S:reu Plätschisch failed to mention is that our current Grand General Secretary, S:reu Seguxhameir d'Üc, has been rogue his entire time since his appointment. Although I do take personal responsibility and admit that I have missed the opening of our Assembly, the blame for the lack of government activity in MM cannot be placed solely on me.
If you had paid attention to the 17th Convocation of the Assembly, or indeed the messages I sent you on Facebook (which I know you saw because you responded to them), you would know that S:reu d'Üc is not the GGS. I'll take a bit of blame for that, given I haven't updated the wiki, but that doesn't change the fact that the information was available to you in other ways.

I also didn't blame the lack of provincial activity on you. I said that your individual level of activity in the province was very low.

QuoteThe main takeaway from this is that regardless of what life throws at me, I always make an effort to Talossa
My main takeaway from this is that you are responding to a bunch of claims that I didn't make.

QuoteAs Senator, this will allow me to have a greater impact on the legislative processes of both MM, and Talossa as a whole.
Greater impact compared to what? A Senator that doesn't vote? That's true, but it happens you are running against someone who has also never missed a vote.

xpb

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 17, 2020, 03:11:01 PM
Quote from: xpb on July 17, 2020, 11:33:25 AM
I appreciate the commentary, and will be happy to engage in any debate with the honorable Ián Plätschisch regarding representation of Cézembre.

Well, good, but your opponent is Ián Tamorán.

Pardon my error.  I look forward to discussions with the correct Ián

QuoteI merely noted that there was no sitting Senator for the province, found that there was an impasse in getting that resolved, and volunteered to serve

The issue is not with your commendable willingness to serve; but with the fact that the King didn't fill the Cézembre Senäts seat as soon as it became lamentably vacant, but only when the Non-Hereditary Monarchy bill was up for its final reading. There is an ongoing issue with the King being helpful to Talossa only when it's helpful to defending his powers.

What is your opinion on the Ranked Choice Referendum Bill in the Hopper, which allows Talossans to have a say on whether they approve of the current Royal powers? This is important to dispel any erroneous notions that your role in the Senäts is to defend Royal interests, not Cézembrian interests.

1. I was browsing around and reading the forums and noticed the situation without having any prompt nor contact with the King.  Perhaps it is being implied that I am under some kind of Royal directive which is not the case.

2. Will the ranked choice be all public votes on an individual basis? 
I personally have always voted in public along with many others, while some choose a secret ballot.  My opinion is that ranked choice needs full transparency and may have problems in a combined public and secret ballot system.

xpb

Perhaps it is time to assemble Cézembre Reunification Organization, or Viensità Ciumisâ Cézembre https://wiki.talossa.com/CRO and to support both those who support a republic and those who support a monarchy.