Notice to Voters in MM Senate Election

Started by Ian Plätschisch, July 16, 2020, 11:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Of course, there's a second option.

If the GGS/Senator/LCC leader doesn't drag his barely-active father to the polls, the likelihood of a tie is much lower.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN
a respected non-political Talossan

Good luck with that, I suppose.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Françal I. Lux

I have serious ethical concerns about the turn this particular election is taking. Putting aside the politics for a moment, candidates, as a principle, should NEVER hold any office that has any power to even remotely influence the outcome of the election—let alone be allowed to vote twice and decide the entire outcome with it.

In this particular instance, I have no doubt, Ian, that you think yourself to be the most qualified and natural candidate for the MM senate seat. I respect that as I respect your first vote. But to vote for yourself again and win all because of some legalese technicality is unethical and, frankly, undemocratic in my view. I urge you to ABSTAIN from voting again until we have exhausted all other alternatives.

(For those of you who are aware, this might give you some terrible flashbacks of the 2018 gubernatorial election in Georgia where Brian Kemp had unfettered oversight as then-current Secretary of State over his own election. This is too close for comfort and to stand on technicality despite the obvious moral questions is too great to just slide by. We have to resolve this issue systematically, not just in this instance)
F. I. Lux, Minister of Interior

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 26, 2020, 08:18:39 PM
Of course, there's a second option.

If the GGS/Senator/LCC leader doesn't drag his barely-active father to the polls, the likelihood of a tie is much lower.
Come on. My father has just as much of a right to vote as anyone else in this province. He regularly participates in the TMT20, which is more than can be said for many citizens.

Ian Plätschisch

I will provide a fuller statement tomorrow.

Eðo Grischun

Today I learned that Ian's dad is a Talossan citizen.

This situation reminds me of several similar situations that have arose in Vuode between myself and V.  As far as I can remember, both of us, even at the height of our previous hostilities towards each other, always voted against ourselves in favour of the other on final deciding votes.

Whenever a vote has come up concerning myself, such as my recent nomination for the Senatorial Medal of Honour, I have abstained.

To be in the position to hand yourself the casting vote and then follow through and actually hand yourself the casting vote would be utterly shameful.  George W. Bush and his daddie's buddies would be proud of such a move.

The fair and right thing for Ian to have done, is resign the GGS position so to not find himself in such a compromising position.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I would also be fine with Ian resigning the GGS position if he does need to break a tie and letting another active member of the Assembly take it up.  But fair warning: I am the only other active member of the Assembly.

The best thing would be for voters to make this moot.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on July 26, 2020, 10:34:45 PM
I would also be fine with Ian resigning the GGS position if he does need to break a tie and letting another active member of the Assembly take it up.  But fair warning: I am the only other active member of the Assembly.

The best thing would be for voters to make this moot.

Mark it on the calendar: I agree with AD on both counts. I would gnash my teeth about option A because we all know the result, but it would be as "fair and square" as can be expected.

The thing about Option B:
- this election is only open to votes on Witt.
- there are a grand total of 2 M-M citizens who currently have Witt accounts and could therefore vote, who have not done so already.
- if one of them votes, but not the other, lol.

Whoever wins, this election is a clusterfudge which must never be repeated.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Ian Plätschisch

I resign as Grand General Secretary of Maritiimi-Maxhestic effectively immediately.

I will defend my integrity to the bitter end, though. In the election to which this one has been compared, the incumbent Secretary of State (who was also running for Governor) was accused of using his position in illegal or otherwise shady ways in order to get the outcome he desired in the Governor's race. In this race, however, it is clear as day in the statutes of Maritiimi-Maxhestic that the GGS is authorized to break ties in the Senate election. Therefore, I could have exercised this power completely legally and unambiguously, and it is a power everyone knew I had when I was elected GGS at the beginning of the term.

However, I cannot ignore the desire of Maritiimi-Maxhesticans that I resign as GGS in this situation. Therefore, very much understanding their concerns, I do, and I look forward to presenting electoral reforms in the next Convocation of the Assembly.

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Eðo Grischun on July 26, 2020, 10:27:31 PM
Today I learned that Ian's dad is a Talossan citizen.
Odd, considering he posted on Old Witt almost 100 times.

Eðo Grischun

I didn't realise the family connection. The two Davinescus aren't related. It makes sense now seeing as your surname isn't particularly common.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode