New Talossan History Project

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, August 04, 2020, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The New Talossan History Project

A proposal humbly submitted to become part of the Royal Society

OUTLINE: A collaborative effort to revise and expand @Gödafrïeu Valcádac'h's A Very Short History of Talossa ("AVSHT"), using all the historical resources contained in the Royal Archives, the official Kingdom websites, existing books on Talossan history such as Ár Päts or A Nation Sundered, periodicals such as Qator Itrìns and the personal archives and memories of Talossans and former Talossans.

METHOD:

AIM: to create a History of Talossa which is at least as comprehensive, and less politically tendentious and slanderous, as Ár Päts for the years 1996-2020, being "living memory" for existing Talossan citizens.

===

Questions? Comment?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Éovart Andrinescù

You've got yourself a proofreader.

GV

A dream come true, really...

This project will not be a short-term thing, of course.  Indeed, I see it lasting forever with the bulk of its work being done in the next three years or so.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Can you start by putting your Very Short History into the form of a Wiki page?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

It might be worthwhile to just start with a copy of the history timeline that already exists:

http://wiki.talossa.com/History
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

GV

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on August 06, 2020, 05:05:56 PM
It might be worthwhile to just start with a copy of the history timeline that already exists:

I want people's own takes.  AD, you have as great a perspective on 2005-2011 as anyone, and I fully expect from you a big, huge, book.  lolz

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Okay, this is getting away from the project that I envisaged. I don't want "multiple takes". I want GV's AVSHT as the basis for a document which all members of the project can freely edit. If people want to edit the history timeline as well, I'm happy.

GV, please make your document into a wiki page.

Quote from: GV on August 06, 2020, 07:29:16 PM
Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on August 06, 2020, 05:05:56 PM

I want people's own takes.  AD, you have as great a perspective on 2005-2011 as anyone, and I fully expect from you a big, huge, book.  lolz
Hey man, you always just get out there and do stuff, and I have utmost respect for it.  This is a great thing you've started.  I do actually have a book in progress on this, based on my early research, but so far I've only got up to 1994 or 1995 (I can't remember).  I'd love to help with some sort of project like this.  Maybe we can try to put together an anodyne narrative, intercut with takes like yours and mine from our lived experiences.  We should probably also try to contact Ben and get his version of a few things, too, if he's willing (I bet he will be).
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

I started to put some of it up online.  I'll clean it up soon and add the rest when I have a chance: http://wiki.talossa.com/History_Project

CCX wrote a great thing about the culture, government, and history of the Republic which we can use.  Unfortunately, it ends in 2009, so it will need some additions.  I'll dig up the document (it was in my Citaxhienità: Manual of Talossan Citizenship).

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Alex, I regard you swooping into take the term "History Project" as either incredibly rude or deliberately malicious. The New Talossan History Project has already set its agenda and GV has put his own document up as the basis for it. If you want to, feel free to apply for membership of the NTHP, and it will be discussed according to the rules set out above. Or keep your competing document and we may or may not use it, with attribution. (I should also note that the term "Talossan History Project" does not originate with me: the original was a project carried out in the early years of the Republic by Sir Tamorán dal Nava and J. K. Kelley, but I doubt they're happy with your biting their style either.)

In the meantime, can you please rename your document to anything not including the term "History Project"? Otherwise an administrator will do it for you. Thanks!

Eðo Grischun

This is kinda reminding of me that time where AD tried to steal the thunder on the OrgLaw reform committee.

Not cool, man.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Okey-dokey skips, GV's wiki version of AVSHT is now write-protected to members of the NTHP.

I've given everyone who's asked for it so far write permission - except for Eovart A. and ESB, whose Wiki accounts I'm not sure of.

Okay... Well, I deleted it and the space is blank, so go nuts with it. I was just enthused about the project after GV asked me to contribute. I'll continue privately, I guess. Best of luck to you.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

You know you didn't have to do that; what I saw of your document was useful; and please feel free to apply for NTHP membership. There's no point in writing a "secret history", you're not Procopius.