News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Do we have a Mencei?

Started by Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu, August 20, 2020, 06:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

No real text... but I think we might be in need of a presiding officer.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Eðo Grischun

Quote from: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu on August 20, 2020, 06:40:48 PM
No real text... but I think we might be in need of a presiding officer.

Indeed.  I was assuming that we would be electing a new Mencei during the new Clark number zero?
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

GV

Eðo Grischun

I hereby nominate our honourable friend the Senator from Fiova to serve as the  next Mencei.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

GV

I accept the nomination.  :-)

Eðo Grischun

Shall we agree the following:

If no other nominations are made before the 21st (end of Clark zero) then we proceed with GV as Mencei uncontested?  If any further nominations are put forward by the 21st then we will hold an internal election between the 21st and 30th? 

Point me in the right direction if there exists any actual Standing Rules on this stuff.  If there is not, can I suggest we actually codify something for all of this kind of business for the future?
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Açafat del Val

There are standing rules of the Senate to be found here > http://wiki.talossa.com/Standing_Rules_of_the_Senate

The relevant rule is Rule 2, to wit:

1. At the beginning of each new term, and whenever the position is vacant, the Senate shall choose a Lord President (Mençei) from among its members to perform the duties of the Chair.

2. Pending the election of a Mençei, the Dean of the Senate shall perform the duties of the Chair as Acting Mençei. Should the Dean of the Senate be absent or unwilling, seniority will be followed to select a replacement.

3. The Acting Mençei shall allow for nominations to be lodged for a period of at least a week from the beginning of a term. Should a Senator receive nominations from a majority of Senators, the nomination period shall end and the Senator be considered duly elected; otherwise, a ballot shall be held using Instant Runoff Voting. Seniority shall resolve any ties that may occur during any stage of elimination.

4. The Mençei shall have the right to name a Senator to perform the duties of the Chair as Deputy Mençei, should he or she be absent for a protracted period of time, and to name a Senator to represent him in any particular function he or she may hold by right of law.

5. Should the Mençei be absent without having named a replacement, the Senate shall be empowered to select a Senator to perform the duties of the Chair as Deputy Mençei, until such a time as the Mençei returns to the floor.

I nominate GV.

That makes three of us. If two more agree, then GV becomes the Mençei without an election.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Eðo Grischun

Quote from: Açafat del Val on September 17, 2020, 11:38:17 AM
There are standing rules of the Senate to be found here > http://wiki.talossa.com/Standing_Rules_of_the_Senate

The relevant rule is Rule 2, to wit:

1. At the beginning of each new term, and whenever the position is vacant, the Senate shall choose a Lord President (Mençei) from among its members to perform the duties of the Chair.

2. Pending the election of a Mençei, the Dean of the Senate shall perform the duties of the Chair as Acting Mençei. Should the Dean of the Senate be absent or unwilling, seniority will be followed to select a replacement.

3. The Acting Mençei shall allow for nominations to be lodged for a period of at least a week from the beginning of a term. Should a Senator receive nominations from a majority of Senators, the nomination period shall end and the Senator be considered duly elected; otherwise, a ballot shall be held using Instant Runoff Voting. Seniority shall resolve any ties that may occur during any stage of elimination.

4. The Mençei shall have the right to name a Senator to perform the duties of the Chair as Deputy Mençei, should he or she be absent for a protracted period of time, and to name a Senator to represent him in any particular function he or she may hold by right of law.

5. Should the Mençei be absent without having named a replacement, the Senate shall be empowered to select a Senator to perform the duties of the Chair as Deputy Mençei, until such a time as the Mençei returns to the floor.

I nominate GV.

That makes three of us. If two more agree, then GV becomes the Mençei without an election.

Many thanks!
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Açafat del Val

Paging the Senators from Atatürk, Maricopa, and Cézembre. The public at large requires your attention in these matters; the selection of the Mencei is an Organic action.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia

Ian Plätschisch

Açafat del Val

My sincere and genuine apologies for having failed to mention the Senator from Maritiimi-Maxhestic!

That, however, makes 5/8 Senators and hence a majority. We now have a Mencei for the term!

Many congratulations to the Senator from Fiôvâ!
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia

Béneditsch Ardpresteir

Quote from: Açafat del Val on September 21, 2020, 09:14:10 AM
Paging the Senators from Atatürk, Maricopa, and Cézembre. The public at large requires your attention in these matters; the selection of the Mencei is an Organic action.

Paging? Haven't received any PM/DM/Email on the subject.

@Açafat del Val , it's best to directly link the persons in the body, so that they get to see the messages even if the Witt is accessed only for a couple of minutes on the go.

I too concur with @GV 's nomination as the Mencei.
Béneditsch Ardpresteir, Esq., O.SPM, PMPA
Squirrel King of Arms, Royal Talossan College of Arms; The Noir Eagle Herald
Member, Royal Talossan Bar; Vice Admiral, Royal Talossan Navy; Owner-Schneiderian Steels

Formerly:
Justice of the Uppermost Cort; Attorney General; Deputy Immigration Minister; Senator; Member of the Cosa; Undersecretary of State; Premier & Provincial Secretary, Maricopa; Chancellor of the O.SPM; Dean, RTCoA; Jolly Good Fellow

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

I have added @GV as the moderator of the Senate board.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Açafat del Val

I am embarrassed to admit that I have failed to figure out how to "tag" people on this platform, despite my efforts to discover it.

It was certainly not a move born of bad faith. Can someone send me a PM maybe, showing me how?
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia