News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

La S'chinteia Volume XIV

Started by Ian Plätschisch, September 05, 2020, 08:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DNVercaria

Quote from: Ián S.G. Txaglh on September 09, 2020, 04:48:38 AM
regarding monarchism, i am not impressed by the arguments presented in la s'chinteia XIV. i do not much care if the person is called president or king or shah or big-violet-bambaloo, until she/he has such a position in our political system, that it is substantiated, she/he cannot play a partisan or possess absolute power over anything.

if talossa needs a royal backbone for a long term stability, i do not really like it, cos it would be an artificial glue; talossa needs a strong civil society to survive, not an empty shell refillable at need. one (wo)man cannot be talossa, we all have to be.

i would understand a ceremonial, entertaining and representative role of the head of state, but never anything beyond constitutional monarchy with strict division of powers. we need no figurehead, but also no robert-the-first-like l'état, c'est moi tyrantosaurus.

what kingdom of talossa definitely needs is a good jester. jesters of bohemian kings are legendary (brother paleček or žito the mage).

If we're looking at the surviving, stable European monarchies of today, the sitting Queens and Kings are well trained professionals on their thrones. From their birth to their inthronisation they have been trained for their job. Even a hobby horse monarch with best intentions will never be able to impersonate a pocket scale edition of someone like the unique Queen Elizabeth.

Yes, may be our small nationette could need a good jester, someone with a sane sense of humour and a lot of some sort of an innate kind of wisdom. Anyway it might be a cruelty to sentence one of us laymen and -women to serve for a life term a the helm of this quirky little society.

Maybe King Robert I as the once juvenile Founding Father of Talossa deserved the right to wear the Talossan crown for a lifetime, but by his unworthy misconduct he gambled it away. After his "abdication" the monarchy was only respirated because otherwise it would have been enevitably logical to join the 2004 Rebels who had founded the then prospering Republic of Talossa.

Anyway, a simulated narrow gauge monarchy will never work well in our tiny part time country, that's my message today.

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 09, 2020, 04:07:54 PM
Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on September 09, 2020, 12:56:09 PM
Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 08, 2020, 05:21:05 PM
(short of impeachment and overthrow, which you will agree should be reserved for the most heinous cases)
I wouldn't agree, actually.

This is interesting. So, you support a monarchy (i.e. a life term as head of state), but one which might be impeached and removed for less than high crimes? Bear in mind that we have precedent in Talossa (with the impeachment of BenArd) that you just have to be bad at your job. Would you set a similar standard for impeachment/removal of the King as we did for UC justices?
Yes; remember how close I got during the summer of 2020 2019 to calling for the King to be removed the throne?

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on September 11, 2020, 01:35:42 PM
Yes; remember how close I got during the summer of 2020 to calling for the King to be removed the throne?

You didn't exactly noise that around in the election campaign when you were corralling the votes of ex-RUMPers; but it's good to get you on the record now! We would of course need 2/3 in both houses to enact the provisions of OrgLaw II:4, and the thing is that given the makeup of your party, I'm not sure that the LCC caucuses in the Ziu would be happy about removing the King even if he were revealed to be selling our children's organs for food. What do you think about this?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 12, 2020, 03:02:59 PM
Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on September 11, 2020, 01:35:42 PM
Yes; remember how close I got during the summer of 2020 to calling for the King to be removed the throne?

You didn't exactly noise that around in the election campaign when you were corralling the votes of ex-RUMPers; but it's good to get you on the record now! We would of course need 2/3 in both houses to enact the provisions of OrgLaw II:4, and the thing is that given the makeup of your party, I'm not sure that the LCC caucuses in the Ziu would be happy about removing the King even if he were revealed to be selling our children's organs for food. What do you think about this?
Oops, I meant to say "summer of 2019." Sorry for the confusion.

What do I think about what?

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The question, rephrased: imagine if the King were just flouting his organic duties, not replying to emails, etc. Do you think - given the setup of the Ziu right now - that, if you agreed with the Government parties that the King needed to be fired, you could get together a 2/3 majority for that? Or - are too many people now filling LCC seats who would be "GOD SAVE THE KING, it's his God-given right to do nothing, he's doing nothing to teach you horrible traitors a lesson, we support him"?

If 1/3 of both houses of the Ziu will not remove the King for anything but being dead or in jail (and they'd probably make excuses if he were in jail), then surely OrgLaw II.4 is a dead letter.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 12, 2020, 08:43:18 PM
The question, rephrased: imagine if the King were just flouting his organic duties, not replying to emails, etc.

The king actually does not seem to reply to emails. I've sent several that have gone unanswered. It also has been 42 days since he even logged into Witt.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Eðo Grischun

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on September 12, 2020, 10:34:36 PM
Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 12, 2020, 08:43:18 PM
The question, rephrased: imagine if the King were just flouting his organic duties, not replying to emails, etc.

The king actually does not seem to reply to emails. I've sent several that have gone unanswered. It also has been 42 days since he even logged into Witt.

I've been waiting 254 days for an email reply from the King on something.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I have the King's phone number, he generally responds to texts with the day. I'll do so upon request.

... this is the kind of thing that I wish to draw the Opposition Leader's attention to, btw. I think he would agree with the Government that this is unacceptable negligence from the Head of State. But if we were to pull our own lever of accountability - impeachment/dethronal - most of the LCC voters would scream blue murder and might be able to block it in the Ziu, because they're so backed into the idea of monarchism that they reject any accountability.

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 13, 2020, 04:27:32 PM

... this is the kind of thing that I wish to draw the Opposition Leader's attention to, btw. I think he would agree with the Government that this is unacceptable negligence from the Head of State. But if we were to pull our own lever of accountability - impeachment/dethronal - most of the LCC voters would scream blue murder and might be able to block it in the Ziu, because they're so backed into the idea of monarchism that they reject any accountability.
Let's recap who the LCC MCs are:
-Sir Cresti, who even the FreeDems generally consider sensible
-My dad, who I know takes what I have to to say into consideration
-Txosue and Brenier, neither of whom are a part of the RUMP old guard and both of whom spent extensive time in other non-RUMP parties.

I'm happy to be backed by the traditional RUMP voters, but they aren't our only constituency. Holding true to the founding principle of the party (that we are an broad alliance rather than bound to a specific set of policies), I will never require any of our MCs to support removing the current King from office, but there may come a day when I feel I have no choice but to support that measure myself (I've been close before). At that time it may or may not be the case that enough of the LCC MCs agree with me.