News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Do we want fewer subforums?

Started by Glüc da Dhi S.H., September 18, 2020, 07:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Quoting from another thread, because that one became a bit messy.

Quote from: DNVercaria on September 17, 2020, 05:25:45 PM
Maybe nasty arguments could simply be drowned in a multitude of fun topics, for instance by reducing the number of subforums of subforums.  The more every particular whimsy talk has to be taken to its own rarely frequented niche, the longer it takes to find all the pearls of the everyday talk of Talossans, and the more the heart of Wittenberg is just looking like a dry boring desert where nothing interesting is ever happening unless a wild uncontrolable argument is exploding like a shell.

Good point.

I've always sort of assumed that by putting too much stuff in the main forum people, especially new/prospective citizens, would just get lost in all the threads and that dividing up the forum helps direct people to the stuff they find interesting. Of course it's possible to overdo it. For example, I still don't really see the need for a separate armed forces board.

This post made me wonder if that whole idea was wrong though. Maybe if the main board is only used for boring administrative and controversial political stuff rather than special interests and projects people are not confronted with the fun stuff.

I'd be very interested to hear especially what newer and prospective citizens think of this...

Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre

Adam Grigoriu

I can see this going both ways. There's something to be said for keeping things organized, but you also don't want to have things too spread out.

If I understand the point of the Landing Pier from the Republic correctly, in that it was a private subforum for citizens and those that requested access, that makes a lot of sense to me

Whatever else, I would say that I agree with moving the fun stuff more into the public eye. If all I saw was the discussions that happen in Wittenberg, I might not stick around. Some people like a good debate, myself included, but that's not all Talossa's about.
Current
    Director of the Office of Preparedness and Response, RTMC HQ

Former
    Minister of the Interior & Permanent Secretary for Immigration

Açafat del Val

Fewer subforums would be IMMENSELY helpful.

Here's an example: rather than give every province its own subforum, what if we just had a catch-all "PROVINCES" subforum and then the moderators could introduce a pinned thread for each province per term? Something like:

"Florencia, Aug 2020 - Apr 2021"
"Maricopa, Sep 2020 - Mar 2021"
etc.

The Council of Governors could have its own thread, too. This would cut down A TON on redundant threads.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms