[ISSUE] More stress rule fun

Started by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP, September 20, 2020, 06:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

I'm finding myself in a bit of a situation.

Take a look at the stress rule for a second. For the sake of transparency, I marked everything that wasnt already a rule under the CÚG in orange.
QuoteIf no syllable has a stress mark, the primary stress of the word falls on the final syllable that has a vowel with an umlaut, trema or ring (ä, å, ë, ï, ö, ü) or which is followed by a consonant, after ignoring the endings -s, -en(s), -ent(s), -er(s), -esch(en), -eu(x), -ica(s), -ică(s), -ic(i), -(esch)laiset(s), -lor, -mint(s), -p(h)äts and -sqåb(s) in case it has one of those. In the context of this rule, semivocalic ‹i› and ‹u› as well as ‹e› following ‹a› are counted as consonants.

Irregular stress is marked with an accute accent (´). If the irregular stress falls on a word-final vowel, it is marked with a grave accent (`). Vowels that already have a diacritic cannot receive a stress mark (see 1.5.).

In words where the stress rule fails to determine stress, it falls on the first syllable: mici [ˈmiʧi], ricăs [ˈrikəs].

Now, knowing this stress rule, where would you put the stress in posteic "back door"? Just going by how the rule is phrased, it should be posteic , but theyre actually supposed to be posteic (compare the pre-2007 spelling postéic).

What should we do about that? Should there be another exception in the stressrule for words that end in vowel + -ic(a/ă/i) or should we respell these words according to the existing rule?

Or perhaps, we should look into coming up with a new and more straightforward stress rule altogether? Please let me know, stuff like this needs immediate fixing.

(EDIT: removed references to -lor words)
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Iac Marscheir

I just think every word should be stressmarked, "regular" stress or not. Rules like this aren't conducive to creating a badly-behaved conlang.

Besides, everybody knows that the more diacritics there are, the cooler the language.

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Iac Marscheir on October 12, 2020, 11:40:54 AM
I just think every word should be stressmarked, "regular" stress or not. Rules like this aren't conducive to creating a badly-behaved conlang.

Besides, everybody knows that the more diacritics there are, the cooler the language.

I'd like to avoid the pre-2007 anarchy if at all possible. (Also too many diacritics at once are ugly as sin)
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.