News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Can an Absent Ruler Still Be a Ruler?

Started by Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB, September 24, 2020, 06:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

I'm frustrated! It has been 54 days since the king has logged into Witt. Numerous emails have gone unanswered. Countless nominations have not been confirmed. When is enough going to be enough? I like King John personally. I spent a delightful evening with him and Hooligan a few years back. I know at least one person who called him recently and all seems to be fine with him personally. When will we demand our king come and do his duty?
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The Government has, in fact, discussed this issue, and even reached out to the Leader of the Opposition on the subject.

This is of course the problem with the monarchy, as I've been saying for 23 years. There are no political forms of accountability, so if "informal" forms don't work - i.e. asking him nicely to come and do his job - then we have to either "grin and bear it"; or go to dethronement.

OrgLaw II.4 states:

QuoteIn dire circumstances, when the King is judged by competent medical authority to be incapable of executing his duties, or if he is convicted by the Talossan Uppermost Cort of violation of this Organic Law, treason, bribery, nonfeasance endangering the safety, order or good government of the Kingdom, or other high crimes, the nation may remove the King from the Throne. The Cosa shall pronounce by a two-thirds vote, with the approval of the Senäts, that the King is to be removed, and this pronouncement shall immediately be transmitted to the people for their verdict in a referendum. If a two-thirds majority of the people concur, the King is removed.

The bolded bits seem relevant. Of course, the alternative would be an OrgLaw amendment to just delete Organic Law II.3, which would actually have a lesser threshhold (only a bare majority in the Senäts and in referendum!) But of course, no OrgLaw amendment or dethronement can happen, under current political realities, without the backing of the League of Center Conservatives in the Cosa.

My guess would be that the prospect of getting agreement for the procedure laid out in II.4 would be more likely than for just deleting II.3 - which would require taking a case to the UC that the King just not being here or doing anything (appointing the SoS or the Cabinet, among other things) endangers our safety, order and good government.

The question of at what point such a case is likely to win - i.e. how much the King's absence can be tolerated before it actually starts to hurt the fabric of the Nation - is one I am leaving up to the Attorney-General right now. Poor guy gets all the crappy jobs.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

DNVercaria

Everyone who's trying to dethrone a sitting King for howsoever good reasons will have to do a crappy job that might shake and break the nationette. Incapable Presidents with a constitutionally limited term could be disposed with less ruckus, simply by waiting for the next regular election.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I should point out that the Minister of STUFF emailed the King about moving kingdomoftalossa.net to the same server as our other domain names, and he responded promptly and positively. So he's at least doing something.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Ián Tamorán S.H.

My answer to the question posed by this thread is ..

NO an Absent Ruler is not a Ruler

Let us deal with it, let us act...
...let us act soon.

John - you are a nice guy. Your Majesty, in your office you are incompetent.

Quality through Thought
Turris Fortis Mihi Deus

Think the best, say the best, and you will be the best.

NRB

hey do you folks enjoy art?

Here is an 18th century engraving by Georg Heinrich Sieveking.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

DNVercaria

King John may be demonstrating some of the innate flaws of monarchy, but he does not compare to Henri Capet. Let's not forget that he did not undeservedly inherit the throne; it's the opposite, as a Talossan hero he has been asked and elected to walk in the far too big shoes of a monarch. I wish he would give way to a constitutional reform that abolishes monarchy posthaste, but I'm finding it inappropriate and an undue lack of respect to post guillotine jokes in the context of the current frustration with the lax performance of our head of the state.

Éovart Andrinescù

And for every Bastille, there will be an 18 Brumaire...

NRB

Quote from: DNVercaria on September 30, 2020, 05:08:08 PM
King John may be demonstrating some of the innate flaws of monarchy, but he does not compare to Henri Capet. Let's not forget that he did not undeservedly inherit the throne; it's the opposite, as a Talossan hero he has been asked and elected to walk in the far too big shoes of a monarch. I wish he would give way to a constitutional reform that abolishes monarchy posthaste, but I'm finding it inappropriate and an undue lack of respect to post guillotine jokes in the context of the current frustration with the lax performance of our head of the state.

no jokes here! I was just posting art! sorry but I got lost when I was looking for the art thread.

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: NRB on September 30, 2020, 05:24:21 PM
no jokes here! I was just posting art! sorry but I got lost when I was looking for the art thread.
Please, no need to be coy.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

I didn't plan that my original post would evolve into talk of the Guillotine. I posited the question out of frustration of tasks that are going on without being done by our head of state. For example the fact that it has been 60 days since the king has come into these boards.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

NRB

Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan