News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

[STUFF] Ministerial Decision re: domain names

Started by Eðo Grischun, October 14, 2020, 05:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

His Majesty got back to me and says that he has no problem with the Government using its access to transfer over the domain names.  I get the impression that he was not aware there was a problem with it at this point -- maybe just waiting until he got back would have been the best course?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: GV on October 15, 2020, 10:57:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on October 14, 2020, 05:37:44 PM
Just so I understand, you are saying that there are several domains owned by the king, and he expressed openness to transferring those over to the government, but has not yet gone so far as to agree to the transfer or initiate it from his end. And absent this agreement, for which you have been waiting almost one month, you have decided to unilaterally transfer them over through the access that the Seneschal has? Or is this unilateral transfer limited just to what the law names: kot.net and talossa.com?

Either way, it's probably pretty improper for the government to decide that they should take possession of someone else's property and then act to seize it unilaterally in this way. I would suggest that it would be more appropriate to bring suit. I don't believe there is any provision in the law that allows seizure of property by the government in this way, even if they think that another provision entitles them to it.  The Fourth Covenant specifically protects against this, actually... a judge must issue a warrant which specifically spells out the property that may be seized.

I am not passing judgment on the merits of such a claim or the underlying goals or anything like that, and I'm certainly not impugning your intentions.  Just want to keep everything above board and avoid any problematic precedents.

Why has the King been incommunicado these past few months? 

How long will this regency last?

Does John have a pressing issue outside of his life in Talossa keeping him from activity?  What that issue might be is none of our business, but what we need to know is "Yes, I've got something going on.  Can't talk about it here." or not.

His Majesty has not been incommunicado -- this very matter was discussed with the Government three and a half weeks ago.  As the Seneschal has confirmed, His Majesty has generally been quick to reply when she consults him.

I have been appointed to assist with some of the duties that are overdue, since His Majesty recognized that some things needed doing.  The regency's term is undefined right now, but it will end when His Majesty returns and no longer requires my assistance.  I do not anticipate that it will last overlong.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

GV

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on October 15, 2020, 11:06:18 AM
Quote from: GV on October 15, 2020, 10:57:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on October 14, 2020, 05:37:44 PM
Just so I understand, you are saying that there are several domains owned by the king, and he expressed openness to transferring those over to the government, but has not yet gone so far as to agree to the transfer or initiate it from his end. And absent this agreement, for which you have been waiting almost one month, you have decided to unilaterally transfer them over through the access that the Seneschal has? Or is this unilateral transfer limited just to what the law names: kot.net and talossa.com?

Either way, it's probably pretty improper for the government to decide that they should take possession of someone else's property and then act to seize it unilaterally in this way. I would suggest that it would be more appropriate to bring suit. I don't believe there is any provision in the law that allows seizure of property by the government in this way, even if they think that another provision entitles them to it.  The Fourth Covenant specifically protects against this, actually... a judge must issue a warrant which specifically spells out the property that may be seized.

I am not passing judgment on the merits of such a claim or the underlying goals or anything like that, and I'm certainly not impugning your intentions.  Just want to keep everything above board and avoid any problematic precedents.

Why has the King been incommunicado these past few months? 

How long will this regency last?

Does John have a pressing issue outside of his life in Talossa keeping him from activity?  What that issue might be is none of our business, but what we need to know is "Yes, I've got something going on.  Can't talk about it here." or not.

His Majesty has not been incommunicado -- this very matter was discussed with the Government three and a half weeks ago.  As the Seneschal has confirmed, His Majesty has generally been quick to reply when she consults him.

Very good!  I missed that particular post, alas.

QuoteI have been appointed to assist with some of the duties that are overdue, since His Majesty recognized that some things needed doing.  The regency's term is undefined right now, but it will end when His Majesty returns and no longer requires my assistance.  I do not anticipate that it will last overlong.

Good to know on all counts.  Thank you!

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

I would like to know if King John has not been incommunicado, why he never responded to multiple emails from his own Secretary of State. That is why I started that other thread, out of sheer frustration that the king doesn't respond to members of the Royal Household. Perhaps you could ask him S:reu Regent since it seems you have ready access to the king.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on October 15, 2020, 12:32:09 PM

I would like to know if King John has not been incommunicado, why he never responded to multiple emails from his own Secretary of State. That is why I started that other thread, out of sheer frustration that the king doesn't respond to members of the Royal Household. Perhaps you could ask him S:reu Regent since it seems you have ready access to the king.
Well, he appointed a regent because he wanted some assistance with things building up, so presumably my appointment itself is your answer :)  Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on October 15, 2020, 01:14:05 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on October 15, 2020, 12:32:09 PM

Well, he appointed a regent because he wanted some assistance with things building up, so presumably my appointment itself is your answer :)  Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

No I'm sorry but that really isn't the answer. Letting things build up is one thing, not responding to numerous emails and never acknowledging legitimate issues bothers me. I am glad he appointed a regent to do the things he didn't really want to do or whatever the reason is, I just wish he hadn't gone MIA for over 70 days when it would have taken five minutes to pop on to Witt and let us all know he was ok but just really busy.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on October 15, 2020, 02:15:47 PM

No I'm sorry but that really isn't the answer. Letting things build up is one thing, not responding to numerous emails and never acknowledging legitimate issues bothers me. I am glad he appointed a regent to do the things he didn't really want to do or whatever the reason is, I just wish he hadn't gone MIA for over 70 days when it would have taken five minutes to pop on to Witt and let us all know he was ok but just really busy.
Well, it's kind of a crazy time for a lot of people. There's a global pandemic and almost everyone is struggling to accommodate themselves to a drastically different world, and some people have health issues or their loved ones do. I can't speak to the specifics of His Majesty's situation, but the guy stepped up to do the job 15 years ago in a time of crisis and has found it mostly a thankless task. Please, let's give him the same grace that we would give anyone in the same situation. You are annoyed that he missed your emails or didn't have a chance to reply to them, and I respect that and apologize for that. But he has acted to help fix things and move things forward, so let's join together and do that. What are the issues still outstanding that need attention?

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on October 15, 2020, 02:27:13 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on October 15, 2020, 02:15:47 PM

Well, it's kind of a crazy time for a lot of people. There's a global pandemic and almost everyone is struggling to accommodate themselves to a drastically different world, and some people have health issues or their loved ones do. I can't speak to the specifics of His Majesty's situation, but the guy stepped up to do the job 15 years ago in a time of crisis and has found it mostly a thankless task. Please, let's give him the same grace that we would give anyone in the same situation. You are annoyed that he missed your emails or didn't have a chance to reply to them, and I respect that and apologize for that. But he has acted to help fix things and move things forward, so let's join together and do that. What are the issues still outstanding that need attention?

Trust me S:reu Regent I know all about the global pandemic. I've spent the past 7-8 months teaching remotely and hardly ever leaving my home. I'm not disrespecting the king or misunderstanding any possible situations. I also intimately understand thankless jobs so that is not an area I raise either. I simply wanted a reply to emails. I didn't send them because I wanted to bother or trouble the king. I sent them in the hopes he could help with a few things that needed to be done or addressed.

For example, Maricopa has a Cunstaval who hasn't been seen or heard from in over a year (last post on OldWitt was September 2019). Our cunstaval doesn't even have an account on this version of Witt. I asked the king to please replace him with an active citizen and preferably someone from Maricopa. Other provinces face the same problem. I checked, the Regent has all the powers of the king. You could do this. The king could have done this. Some provinces cannot even operate without one. That is what is outstanding and needs to be done.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Eðo Grischun

Indeed. The Regent does have all the powers that the Head of State has. If the Regent doesn't feel like exercising the duties of the Monarchy then one needs to ask what is the point in the King appointing a Regent?  Just more layers of non-feasance if you ask me.

All the excuses made above for the King's own non-feasance don't cut it.  We have all been experiencing similar events.  If the Monarch is truly unable to carry out the duties of his office then it is simply time for the House of Lupul to abdicate.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Eðo Grischun

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on October 15, 2020, 11:05:02 AM
His Majesty got back to me and says that he has no problem with the Government using its access to transfer over the domain names.  I get the impression that he was not aware there was a problem with it at this point -- maybe just waiting until he got back would have been the best course?

Thank you for helping get this sorted.

The King being unaware of the issue is a problem in itself, by the way.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on October 15, 2020, 03:06:08 PM
Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on October 15, 2020, 02:27:13 PM

Trust me S:reu Regent I know all about the global pandemic. I've spent the past 7-8 months teaching remotely and hardly ever leaving my home. I'm not disrespecting the king or misunderstanding any possible situations. I also intimately understand thankless jobs so that is not an area I raise either. I simply wanted a reply to emails. I didn't send them because I wanted to bother or trouble the king. I sent them in the hopes he could help with a few things that needed to be done or addressed.

For example, Maricopa has a Cunstaval who hasn't been seen or heard from in over a year (last post on OldWitt was September 2019). Our cunstaval doesn't even have an account on this version of Witt. I asked the king to please replace him with an active citizen and preferably someone from Maricopa. Other provinces face the same problem. I checked, the Regent has all the powers of the king. You could do this. The king could have done this. Some provinces cannot even operate without one. That is what is outstanding and needs to be done.
After spending all day teaching over zoom like I do, I imagine you must be pretty frustrated and worn out, and I feel the same way about it. It is difficult to manage and helping the children learn is an incredibly arduous task under these circumstances. all the thousand things that we're accustomed to do, from subtly checking on a child's welfare to giving them the word of encouragement that they might need in that moment - it's all harder. Let us all do our best to extend grace as we deal with new problems and new challenges. His Majesty has acted to try to remedy the problems with the things that needed to be done, and I will do my level best to assist with them.

Yes, I may exercise all the powers of the king. I believe you have already alerted me to the situation in Maricopa, and I assure you that I will investigate the situation and act as best I may to help relieve the issue. Consistently active provincial officers are a problem as old as the provinces themselves, but making appointments so entirely within the purview of the crown is something that I am trying to take seriously and thoughtfully. I promise you I will do my best with it.

Thank you S:reu Regent. Just to be clear though, I think giving someone the better part of 3 months is giving a lot of grace but I'll drop it for now in the hopes you will do what you say.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal