[FINANCE] Draft Budget coming November 1

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, October 27, 2020, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Given all these comments, I foreshadow that I intend to Clark the 55th Cosa Budget as drafted above. We will seek a target of total coin/stamp sales, and "voluntary taxation" donations from Citizens, of $550 to fully cover all the Government spending appropriated. However, if we don't get that funding from citizens, I pledge that the effective deficit will be limited to $200 maximum; that is, if we don't get the funding, certain appropriations will never be spent.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on November 04, 2020, 04:39:31 PM
If your desire is to respect the democratic process, then you don't have to issue a PD to authorize further expenditures. A bill to do so could also be Clarked and passed at any time. That seems to make the most difference, rather than deliberately asking for authorization to spend an irresponsible amount of money before you know whether or not you'll be able to, right? Is that a possibility?

Reiterating what I said above, it seems as though you're asking for the Ziu to authorize the expenditure of an amount that you acknowledge to be quite irresponsible, but you're promising that you won't really spend it unless things change with regards to our financial situation.  And while that's good financial planning, that doesn't seem much like a budget, really.

Isn't it more sensible to raise the amount first, and then appropriate what is actually raised in a later bill?  Failing that, and if you insist on this approach, then perhaps the Government should present this best-case budget plus the budget from the scenario where $449 or less is raised.  It doesn't seem like good practice, otherwise, since we don't actually know the specific expenditures to be authorized in the latter scenario.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The Cabinet is, at the moment, unified behind my approach. May I ask whether you would be planning to veto this budget?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

If the Ziu thinks it is responsible to engage in this much deficit spending, then it seems well within its purview. And I don't identify any existential danger or violation of any organic principles or moral imperatives. No, I have no intention at all of acting in my role as regent to veto this planned bill.

I will note, however, that it is extremely unwise for a legislature to authorize a budget that isn't actually itemized. If the amount that the Government plans to raise doesn't materialize, then it's good that they are saying that they won't actually spend most of the treasury. But it's not good that they're not seeing exactly how much they would spend, or on what. The nation is left to guess at the actual budget. That is not smart planning, especially since it's unnecessary. It would be fairly easy to just identify the expenditures that would still happen even in a low fundraising situation. Would you share why you're declining to disclose this information, if only so I can understand?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on November 16, 2020, 08:47:53 PM
I will note, however, that it is extremely unwise for a legislature to authorize a budget that isn't actually itemized. If the amount that the Government plans to raise doesn't materialize, then it's good that they are saying that they won't actually spend most of the treasury. But it's not good that they're not seeing exactly how much they would spend, or on what.

You appear to be saying that you don't think there's sufficient detail in the appropriations requests. Can I ask exactly how much more detail you would like for each of the proposed expenditures?

• for webhosting for the next 9 months, $80.15;
  • for promoting Talossa's social media posts, $30
  • for prizes for cultural contests, $100;
  • for honoraria for writers of articles for a new Talossan cultural magazine, $225
  • for fees for a Registered Agent to represent Talossa as an Unincorporated Association under the laws of the State of Wisconsin, to enable us to formally hold property, $100

The Culture Minister, above, has explained how he has arrived at the figure for honoraria for a magazine. As to the fees for a Registered Agent, I am still awaiting a report from citizen Tresplett on precisely which option he recommends for this; $100 is a maximum fee, based on a very cursory Google. What other details would you like?

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on November 17, 2020, 03:33:22 PM
Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on November 16, 2020, 08:47:53 PM
I will note, however, that it is extremely unwise for a legislature to authorize a budget that isn't actually itemized. If the amount that the Government plans to raise doesn't materialize, then it's good that they are saying that they won't actually spend most of the treasury. But it's not good that they're not seeing exactly how much they would spend, or on what.

You appear to be saying that you don't think there's sufficient detail in the appropriations requests. Can I ask exactly how much more detail you would like for each of the proposed expenditures?

• for prizes for cultural contests, $100;
  • for honoraria for writers of articles for a new Talossan cultural magazine, $225
  • for fees for a Registered Agent to represent Talossa as an Unincorporated Association under the laws of the State of Wisconsin, to enable us to formally hold property, $100

The Culture Minister, above, has explained how he has arrived at the figure for honoraria for a magazine. As to the fees for a Registered Agent, I am still awaiting a report from citizen Tresplett on precisely which option he recommends for this; $100 is a maximum fee, based on a very cursory Google. What other details would you like?

Apologies -- I must not be communicating very effectively.

So, my understanding is that the Government wishes to appropriate $585.15.  You itemized these expenditures in the list above and in the draft.  But you actually don't intend to spend this amount unless fundraising brings in at least $550:

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on November 15, 2020, 06:32:02 PM
Given all these comments, I foreshadow that I intend to Clark the 55th Cosa Budget as drafted above. We will seek a target of total coin/stamp sales, and "voluntary taxation" donations from Citizens, of $550 to fully cover all the Government spending appropriated. However, if we don't get that funding from citizens, I pledge that the effective deficit will be limited to $200 maximum; that is, if we don't get the funding, certain appropriations will never be spent.

This means that there is another budget that is implied that has a total expenditure of $200, since "certain appropriations" won't be spent.  I'm asking for an itemization of that $200 budget.  Out of the optimistic $585.15, what makes the cut at $200?

It is entirely possible that I just missed where you said this, or that I have misunderstood.  But right now, it appears that we don't know which 66% of the itemized budget will be jettisoned.  So we don't know what actual planned expenditures will be.  I am asking that a $200 itemized budget be presented.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on November 17, 2020, 09:40:18 PM
This means that there is another budget that is implied that has a total expenditure of $200, since "certain appropriations" won't be spent.  I'm asking for an itemization of that $200 budget.  Out of the optimistic $585.15, what makes the cut at $200

Oh, got you now. The answer is as follows:

Projected (minimum) income:

Registration fees for Cosa election: $30-40
    Registration fees for Senäts election (assuming the Fleecing Bill passes): $15
    Interest on Talossa's bank accounts: $8

Total: $63

Projected essential spending:

• Culture Ministry appropriations, $50

Total: $260.15

I should also note that the Registered Agent expenditure is contingent on a report on the costs/benefits of this scheme which the Cabinet has yet to see. So we may not decide to go ahead with that, but best to make the appropriation in any case.

Thank you. That addresses all of my concerns.