To Lose a Louis Day TBD Talossan Holiday of Community Service by Blood Donation

Started by xpb, January 27, 2021, 04:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xpb

TO THE HOPPER - DRAFT

Talossan Holiday (TBD): TO LOSE A LOUIS

Whereas a pint's a pound the world around (when using US volume) and,

Whereas there's an anecdote that a Louis was at one point defined by the price of a US pint of domestic draft beer at a bar run by Fritz von Buchholtz and was equivalent to 59 bence (now rounded up to 60), and

Whereas, many individuals could stand to have less body mass, even temporarily, and

Whereas, there's always a need for donated blood, typically taken as a pint, and

Whereas, a pint can be reintroduced carefully at a variety of fine establishments, thus

BE IT RESOLVED THAT (DATE) is TO LOSE A LOUIS DAY where Talossans are encouraged to lose one louis of weight and one louis of volume and donate blood and then replace it with a liquid refreshment of their choice.

I last did this on Veterans/Rememberance day, and plan to do it again on Groundhog Day so this will be still in the hopper, but perhaps we can find an appropriate date on the Talossan Calendar to introduce the concept.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

An admirable sentiment, but:

1) For a lot of us, it's not healthy to lose weight.
2) Many of us are barred from donating blood, especially gay men.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Béneditsch Ardpresteir

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on January 27, 2021, 04:50:12 PM

There's so much to learn from Talossa... never was aware of the second facet (again the bigots would cry that am speaking as a homophobic).
Béneditsch Ardpresteir, Esq., O.SPM, PMPA
Squirrel King of Arms, Royal Talossan College of Arms; The Noir Eagle Herald
Member, Royal Talossan Bar; Vice Admiral, Royal Talossan Navy; Owner-Schneiderian Steels

Formerly:
Justice of the Uppermost Cort; Attorney General; Deputy Immigration Minister; Senator; Member of the Cosa; Undersecretary of State; Premier & Provincial Secretary, Maricopa; Chancellor of the O.SPM; Dean, RTCoA; Jolly Good Fellow

xpb

Quote from: Béneditsch Ardpresteir on January 27, 2021, 08:07:45 PM
Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on January 27, 2021, 04:50:12 PM

There's so much to learn from Talossa... never was aware of the second facet (again the bigots would cry that am speaking as a homophobic).

The weight loss thing was tongue-in-cheek, loss of one pound of water weight typically replaced even after a donation as they want you to drink or eat in a recovery area at most donation centers.

It is quite understandable that for any given charitable activity, some may not be able to participate directly, but perhaps can do other things for good.

The US Red Cross estimates that only about 3% of people in the US donate blood.  If Talossa could get 10 more beyond me out of the 180 citizens to do so, we would be at double that amount.

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I appreciate the whimsical and amusing nature of this bill, and I am glad to see people having fun with this sort of stuff.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

xpb

In support of this proposed legislation, I went to Children's Hospital in Denver today and donated a pint of whole blood.

xpb

Quote from: xpb on February 02, 2021, 11:09:26 PM
In support of this proposed legislation, I went to Children's Hospital in Denver today and donated a pint of whole blood.

Now that the Hopper is for the People has passed, I solicit a member of the Ziu to sponsor this bill.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Although I'm not convinced I will vote for this bill, I am happy to sponsor it to be Clarked for reasons of participatory democracy.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on February 28, 2021, 03:52:49 PM
Although I'm not convinced I will vote for this bill, I am happy to sponsor it to be Clarked for reasons of participatory democracy.

I won't Clark this bill in its current form. It has things like TBD and (DATE) in it. If it is revised, I will place it on the next Clark.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal