Possible Amendments to the Seneschal Election Rules (OrgLaw VI.5-7)

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, March 01, 2021, 06:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

What support would there be for the following amendments?

1) From Section 5, paragraph 2:

QuoteThe method of election of a Seneschál shall be Ranked Choice Voting. Each member of the Cosâ shall have as many votes in the election as the seats which he hold in the Cosâ, but shall cast his votes as one bloc and have no divided conscience. The candidates for each such election shall be only the recognized and commonly known leader of nominated by each political party which shall have earned representation in the Cosâ at the most recent general election.

(Rationale: a party might want to nominate someone else than their "recognized leader" as Seneschal, why not)

2) First sentence of Section 6:

QuoteThe second Clark of every Ziu may entertain business as normal, but especially shall occur after a month of recess following the first Clark.

Why do we need a compulsory month of recess? If an incoming Seneschál needs a while to get their Cabinet together, they can ask the King/Regent for a month of recess under OrgLaw IV.9. Having each Cosa last 8 months, during two of which the Ziu can't consider legislation, seems to drag on people's patience.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Ian Plätschisch

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Speaking as the SoS who had to inform the party leaders of the rules around the last Seneschal election I think these changes would be great.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Eðo Grischun

Yes.  When we passed the Seneschal Election Bill this is one thing I wish we had done differently.  Before it was Clarked I always imagined a Seneschal election to be open to all Members of the Ziu, so yes, I welcome this amendment.

The second point, I believe, happened because of the statutory timings of the budget, but in practice the extra month has proved unnecessary.  So, again, I support.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Miestră Schivă, UrN

WHEREAS the first election of a Seneschál by the Cosa went ahead successfully and the principle should be preserved;

AND WHEREAS if we are to make some tweaks, those tweaks should be in the direction of increased flexibility;

AND WHEREAS a wider range of possible nominees for Seneschál is more democratic;

AND WHEREAS the incoming Seneschál will still be able to call for a month of recess after the Clark on which she is elected under OrgLaw IV.9, if necessary, but there is no reason for this to be compulsory;

BE IT ENACTED by the Ziu that the Organic Law of Talossa shall be amended as follows:

1. The second paragraph of Organic Law VI.5 shall be amended by striking out the words "only the recognized and commonly known leader of" and substituting the words "nominated by", so it will now read as follows:

QuoteThe method of election of a Seneschál shall be Ranked Choice Voting. Each member of the Cosâ shall have as many votes in the election as the seats which he hold in the Cosâ, but shall cast his votes as one bloc and have no divided conscience. The candidates for each such election shall be nominated by each political party which shall have earned representation in the Cosâ at the most recent general election.

2. Organic Law VI.6 shall be amended to read in its entirety:

QuoteThe Seneschál shall announce publicly both the members of the incoming Government and the Government's legislative agenda at least before, if not sooner than, the last day on which a member of the Ziu may submit a measure to the second Clark. Failing this, the King shall dissolve the Cosa and call new elections.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan