[Chancery] Preparing for the 56th Cosa General Election

Started by Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB, March 27, 2021, 09:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

IF ANY OF THE INFORMATION BELOW IS INCORRECT, PLEASE NOTIFY ME ASAP.

Attention Citizens of Talossa!

The rules for the upcoming election are available here: http://www.talossa.ca/files/electionrules.php. These rules are an addition to Talossan law regarding elections, specifically OrgLaw Sections III,IV and V and Lexhatx title B. Be aware that not every detail of the law has been explicitly included in the rules so knowledge of the relevant laws might be useful.

The rules can also be found on the rules page of the database.

This thread serves to announce and inform Parties, Senatorial Candidates, King and Provinces about what needs to happen before the election and as a way for parties and candidates to register.

Dr. Txec dal Nordselvă,
Secretary of State

1. Timetable (unless a month of recess is called in which case the dates shall be adjusted)
13 May 23:59 TST (-5 UTC) - Registration deadline Political Parties.
14 May 23:59 TST - Registration deadline Senatorial Candidates.
15 May, morning - Balloting Day, all citizens receive their ballots.
1 June 19:30 TST - Election deadline, results are announced.
14 June - Certification deadline
30 June - Party fee deadline to sit in the Cosa during the first clark

2. Information for Parties
In the upcoming election the 200 seats of the 56th Cosa will be elected.

For a party to be able to obtain seats in the 56th Cosa two things need to happen.
1. You need to register with the chancery. This needs to happen at least 24 hours before balloting day!

Registration should include:
* Full Party name
* Party Initials
* 50 word statement
* Party Leader(s)
* Candidate list (this is optional, but if no list is supplied only the party leader is allowed to receive seats (see Lex.b.2.3 for the full rules regarding party lists).
* Party platform URL (optional)

All of the above can be done by posting in this thread, sending me a pm or sending an email to talossachancery@gmail.com. (Information can be updated at any time before the deadline, but the initial registration needs to include at least all the mandatory parts).
Candidate lists and Platform URLs can still be provided/updated the day before balloting day.

The Chancery has a list of approximately 51 citizen email addresses that parties can only contact via The Chancery. The Chancery will send out a maximum of TWO emails per party. If you are a party leader, please email the Chancery at talossachancery@gmail.com EXACTLY what you want sent out. Please allow 48 hours notice. The Chancery will email exactly what you send (no editing). The Chancery will not target specific citizens and will not send out more than one email per party per week.

2. You need to pay a fee. This needs to happen before assigning cosa seats.
The fee is 6¤40 ($10 USD) and needs to be paid to the Bürgermeister of Inland Revenue, Istefan Perþonest. Contact him to find out more about the best way to pay the fee. Parties can appear on the ballot before the fee has been paid.

3. Information regarding referenda statements (King + existing parties)
In addition, parties that currently hold cosa seats may provide a statement of up to 50 words for each referendum either in favour or against the bill.

In addition, the King may provide a 150 word statement for each amendment that was passed after the Ziu overruled an earlier objection.

This can be done by posting in this thread, sending me a pm or sending an email to talossachancery@gmail.com. Please do not wait until the last minute for this as they may have to be manually added to the ballot by the database admin

4. Information for Senatorial Candidates
Three Senate seats will be contested during the upcoming elections: Atatürk (3 cosa terms), Cézembre (3 cosa terms), and Florencia (3 cosa terms)
Some of these will be conducted by the provinces themselves. Others will be conducted by the chancery. A list will be included in this post with the most up to date information about which elections are conducted by the chancery.

If elections are conducted by the chancery, the election will use IRV and allow write-in candidates, but candidates do get the opportunity to be listed on the ballot. All you have to do to appear on the ballot is register with the chancery. This can be done by posting in this thread, sending me a pm or sending an email to talossachancery@gmail.com.

In order to appear on the ballot you have to register before the start of the elections.

5. Information for Provinces
The chancery provides the option for provinces to have their Senate and Assembly elections conducted by the chancery. Additionally in the case of assembly elections, provinces may provide supplementary instructions to the voters (this could be a description of the relevant provincial law, whether to vote for a party or person, a list of provincially registered parties, etc). The chancery requests that provincial representatives supply this information (what elections should be conducted, voting instructions) to the chancery. I will also look at relevant provincial law and post a thread in each province asking for details. If no information is provided by the province (in whatever form) the default option will be to include an option for a provincial assembly vote, but NOT to conduct the senatorial election, as this requires an explicit request from the province.

6. Assembly elections (Could be subject to change until balloting day.) -Pending confirmation by the provinces
Atatürk - Election conducted by the chancery.
Benito - Election conducted by the chancery. Instructions: "For the Benito Legislative Assembly, please vote for a party, or PRESENT if you wish to cast a null ballot."
Cézembre - Election conducted by the province.
Fîovâ - Election for the Prasidïeu conducted by the Chancery. Instructions: "Ranked choice voting, same as for Senators.
Florencia - Election conducted by the chancery. Instructions: "Vote for a party or vote "present""
Maricopa - No election, all citizen can claim a seat in the Cabana.
Maritiimi Maxhestic - No election, all citizens can claim a seat in the Provincial assembly during the election.
Vuode - No election, all citizens can claim a seat in the Estats Xhenerais during the election..

7. Senate elections (Could be subject to change until balloting day.)
Atatürk (3 cosa terms) - Election conducted by the chancery.
Cézembre (3 cosa terms) - Election conducted by the province.
Florencia (3 cosa terms) - Election conducted by the Chancery.

Registration Status

Currently Declared Senate Candidates

• Martì-Paír Furxhéir, Atatûrk. Fee paid: No
  • Ian Tamoran, Cézembre. Fee paid: No

Currently Registered Parties

• Parti Tafialistà (PT), party leader Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial. Fee paid: Yes Cosa List: NO
  • The Independent Monarchist, (DIEN), party leader Munditenens Tresplet. Fee paid: Yes Cosa List: NO
  • Free Democrats of Talossa, (FreeDems), party leader Txoteu Davinescu. Fee paid: Yes Cosa List: Yes
  • League of Centre Conservatives, (LCC), party leader Txosuè Éiric Rôibeardescù. Fee paid: Yes Cosa List: Yes
  • Talossan National Congress, (TNC), party leader Brenier Itravilatx. Fee paid: Yes Cosa List: Yes
  • King Lüc Party, (KLüP), party leader Glüc da Dhi. Fee paid: Yes Cosa List: Yes
  • Balançeu / Balance, (B), party leader X. Pol Briga. Fee paid: Yes Cosa List: Yes
  • New Peculiar Way, (NPW), party leader Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu. Fee paid: No Cosa List: Yes
IF ANY OF THE INFORMATION ABOVE IS INCORRECT, PLEASE NOTIFY ME ASAP.

Page updated 5/5/21 10:24 Pacific Time
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

GV

If there are threads for provincial elections, please include links to those.  I would also include information on coming elections for all Senators, whenever they may be. 

Nitpicks in a bunch of beautiful work, Dr. Nordselva...

Quote from: GV on March 28, 2021, 12:12:11 PM
If there are threads for provincial elections, please include links to those.  I would also include information on coming elections for all Senators, whenever they may be. 

Nitpicks in a bunch of beautiful work, Dr. Nordselva...

This thread is quite literally the beginning of "election season" so as information needs to be updated I will do so. As for future senate elections, I'm not ready to worry about that. The election schedule for the Senäts can be found here: http://www.talossa.ca/files/electionrules.php
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

xpb

Cézembre, according to the administration guide, will not rely on the Chancery and will conduct the local election.

Also it is my understanding that a senator (our lord warden) was selected during the previous election 55 and thus would continue to serve until at least election 57?

Quote from: xpb on March 28, 2021, 10:23:29 PM
Cézembre, according to the administration guide, will not rely on the Chancery and will conduct the local election.

Also it is my understanding that a senator (our lord warden) was selected during the previous election 55 and thus would continue to serve until at least election 57?

According to my records, the last Cezembre election of a senator was to fill a vacancy.

The last regular election for a Senator from Cezembre was the 53rd Cosa. In fact, Cezembre has had a few different Senators in the past 3 Cosa terms. Therefore it is again time to elect a Senator from Cezembre.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Also to clarify, will the Senatorial election also be conducted by the province or will it fall to the Chancery?
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

xpb

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on March 29, 2021, 10:37:40 AM

Also to clarify, will the Senatorial election also be conducted by the province or will it fall to the Chancery?

I was appointed by the Regent to fulfill the vacancy for Lord Warden in the midst of session 54.  Then there was an election to officially fill the position in session 55, which I thought would then be a regular election -- but perhaps was just viewed by the Civil Service to officially fill the vacancy, rather than accept the determination of the Regent?   That election placed @Ián Tamorán as our Lord Warden, which is the Cézembrean term for Senator to the Ziu.

I will call a session l'Etats to discuss whether Cézembre should conduct yet another election for Lord Warden or just reappoint Ián Tamorán which was the intent of the most rescent election, should this remain unclear at the eyes of the Civil Service.

Quote from: xpb on March 29, 2021, 12:05:27 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on March 29, 2021, 10:37:40 AM

I was appointed by the Regent to fulfill the vacancy for Lord Warden in the midst of session 54.  Then there was an election to officially fill the position in session 55, which I thought would then be a regular election -- but perhaps was just viewed by the Civil Service to officially fill the vacancy, rather than accept the determination of the Regent?   That election placed @Ián Tamorán as our Lord Warden, which is the Cézembrean term for Senator to the Ziu.

I will call a session l'Etats to discuss whether Cézembre should conduct yet another election for Lord Warden or just reappoint Ián Tamorán which was the intent of the most rescent election, should this remain unclear at the eyes of the Civil Service.

Article III of the OrgLaw is quite clear.

QuoteSection 7 If a Senator vacates his or her seat before the end of the term, the executive of the province shall appoint a Senator to sit until the next General Election or the next provincial election in that province, whichever is sooner, at which time the people of the province shall elect a Senator to serve the remainder of the term. If the provincial executive fails to appoint a Senator within a fortnight of the vacancy, the King or his Cunstavál shall appoint the Senator. (53RZ18)

An election must take place for a senator from Cezembre this cycle. The current senator only serves until the remainder of the term (which is for 3 Cosas). The current term began in the 53rd and ends in the 55th Cosa. 

Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The circle can be squared if Ián Tamorán simply runs unopposed.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

The Electoral Commission has approved the election rules for the upcoming General Election. The rules can be found here: http://www.talossa.ca/files/electionrules.php

Dr. Txec dal Nordselvă,
Secretary of State
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Just reminding you to update the links which are all to issues/candidates/parties from the last election!

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on April 12, 2021, 02:41:38 PM
Just reminding you to update the links which are all to issues/candidates/parties from the last election!

I'm working on that part. As Secretary of State I don't have access to those functions on the database and it is really hard to get things changed as the matters stand now.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on April 12, 2021, 03:26:10 PM
Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on April 12, 2021, 02:41:38 PM

I'm working on that part. As Secretary of State I don't have access to those functions on the database and it is really hard to get things changed as the matters stand now.

It looks like some of that I might be able to update but I can't do it until the current Clark is finished. It will all be done in time before the election. Plus, I don't have any declared candidates for the Senate and only one party partially registered at this time.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

If reforms currently before Fiova's General Assembly pass, then at this election we would like the Chancery to conduct a STV election for three (3) members of our executive committee, the Praisideu. The Fiova Chancery will collect nominations and count the votes under our own law; all we would like the National Chancery to do is to offer a ballot identical to the ballot for Senators, that is, allow Fiovans to create a ranked preference list of any citizen of our Province. We can do everything else.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on April 19, 2021, 12:51:58 AM
If reforms currently before Fiova's General Assembly pass, then at this election we would like the Chancery to conduct a STV election for three (3) members of our executive committee, the Praisideu. The Fiova Chancery will collect nominations and count the votes under our own law; all we would like the National Chancery to do is to offer a ballot identical to the ballot for Senators, that is, allow Fiovans to create a ranked preference list of any citizen of our Province. We can do everything else.

I will look into this and see if is something that can be done.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal