News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Talossan Language Learners' Thread

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, April 13, 2021, 04:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

So the Second National Survey said that the broad masses were most interested in (a) Talossan-language learning materials; (b) Talossan language texts (original and translated).

So this is a thread for you to register your interest if:

(a) you are actually interested in learning to speak, write and understand our national language;
(b) you have suggestions over what you would like to see written in, or translated into, that language.

A simple "like" will be taken as an expression of interest, but please make further comments.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

GV

1. Which orthography is to be used?  Pre-Arestada?
2. Include numbers (cardinal and ordinal) with great liberality.  In my few years in Spanish class, numbers were always neglected.  The same was true in typing class, oddly-enough, though my typing teacher was still quite good.
3. A phonics approach is crucial.  International Phonetic Alphabet, if it works for Talossan, needs to be a part of the curicullum.  Whole language approach = I run for the hills.
4. It will take years for us all to become even a bit fluent.  No one, two, or even five people working 24/7 on the language will be enough.
5. If the Talossan language is not worked on, Talossa dies.  Period.
6. Which group of people are the current Talossan language academy?

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: GV on April 13, 2021, 09:52:44 PM
1. Which orthography is to be used?  Pre-Arestada?

You really haven't been paying attention, have you. :D The new, compromise orthography as approved by SIGN and contained in the current Översteir.

Quote2. Include numbers (cardinal and ordinal) with great liberality.

Is the explanation in the Recomendas clear enough?

Quote6. Which group of people are the current Talossan language academy?

SIGN

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Tierçéu Rôibeardescù

Simple conversational. I have tried before but it often was single words.
Túischac'h of the 55th Cosa
MC, 55th Cosa, League of Center Conservatives
Secretary-General of the League of centre conservatives
Member of the L'Etats de Cézembre

GV

Meu fluenceu ineu Talossán c'est muy mál und sehr schlecht.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

That honestly looks like 1980-style "Archaic Talossan" :D

Paging @Marcial and the other members of SIGN as to where we can go with conversation practice. Maybe on a Discord channel?

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on April 14, 2021, 03:38:02 PM
Paging @Marcial and the other members of SIGN as to where we can go with conversation practice. Maybe on a Discord channel?

We usually use #glheþ for that, though that's also where Lüc and I discuss changes to the Översteir. I could make another channel for chatting in Talossan only if people want that.
There's also the #Glheþ voice channel which no one's ever used. I suppose you could practice speaking Talossan there if you can find a conversation partner.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Or we could just set a time to all turn up on the #glheþ channel and practice typing at one another? What do learners think?

Ián Tamorán S.H.

No, not "Period" but "Question Mark".  In England eleven hundred years ago there was no English language. There were, instead, a number of imported, and local, languages used in particular areas. Then "William The Bastard" (... that's what he was called in France: we now call him William the Conquerer) came over and imposed French as the courtly language, and language of administration.

That did not work, as "the people" were not going to drop the way they had been speaking for centuries. BUT French words and terms were added to the local languages, and because of more safe movement around the island the local languages and dialects influenced each other more and more... and English evolved (slowly) towards what it is now. All the time England, as a concept, continued to exist. England existed before English.

Now in England we have I don't know how many languages spoken: in most but not all places English is the main form of communication - for example, in parts of London you have to use Chinese, in West London you use Bengali or or Punjabi, in north London it may well be Yiddish or Turkish. In many places we use dialects of English which I, personally, find unintelligible - and I've lived here for well over seventy years.

But England is still England.  England is bigger than English.

And Talossa is bigger than the Talossan language.
Quality through Thought
Turris Fortis Mihi Deus

Think the best, say the best, and you will be the best.

Quote from: Ián Tamorán S.H. on April 15, 2021, 05:14:41 AM
No, not "Period" but "Question Mark".  In England eleven hundred years ago there was no English language. There were, instead, a number of imported, and local, languages used in particular areas. Then "William The Bastard" (... that's what he was called in France: we now call him William the Conquerer) came over and imposed French as the courtly language, and language of administration.

That did not work, as "the people" were not going to drop the way they had been speaking for centuries. BUT French words and terms were added to the local languages, and because of more safe movement around the island the local languages and dialects influenced each other more and more... and English evolved (slowly) towards what it is now. All the time England, as a concept, continued to exist. England existed before English.

Now in England we have I don't know how many languages spoken: in most but not all places English is the main form of communication - for example, in parts of London you have to use Chinese, in West London you use Bengali or or Punjabi, in north London it may well be Yiddish or Turkish. In many places we use dialects of English which I, personally, find unintelligible - and I've lived here for well over seventy years.

But England is still England.  England is bigger than English.

And Talossa is bigger than the Talossan language.

I understand the sentiment, but:
1) England predates the Norman Conquest by 139 years (the first King of the English was Æthelstan, not William), and the oldest manuscripts in what is generally considered Old English predate the formation of England by another two and a half centuries
2) Considering how marginalised the Talossan lanuage has become, the statement "Talossa is bigger than the Talossan language" sounds like punching down. Where's the harm in revitalising one of the few tangible aspects of native Talossan culture?

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on April 14, 2021, 08:32:03 PM
Or we could just set a time to all turn up on the #glheþ channel and practice typing at one another?

Bump.
What's everyone's schedule like?

Françal I. Lux

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on April 22, 2021, 06:48:53 AM
Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on April 14, 2021, 08:32:03 PM
Or we could just set a time to all turn up on the #glheþ channel and practice typing at one another?

Bump.
What's everyone's schedule like?

Bump. Bump.

Can we try to get this thing rolling? Let's set up a date and time
F. I. Lux, Minister of Interior

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Let's say: Marcel and Françál, when is best for you guys? I'll try to fit in around you

Françal I. Lux

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on May 04, 2021, 08:22:16 PM
Let's say: Marcel and Françál, when is best for you guys? I'll try to fit in around you

I'm always free all-day on Mondays and Tuesdays
F. I. Lux, Minister of Interior