[Scribe] Work begun in earnest on catching up on the Digest

Started by GV, January 09, 2020, 11:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GV

As of about a minute before I began this post on Witt XI, I finished my first attempt at getting the 51st Cosâ and all its bills to the Digest of Laws. The results of my labour may be had at wiki.talossa.com/Acts_of_the_51st_Cos%C3%A2

Next week, I will get to the 52nd Cosâ and week following, I will get to the 53rd, thereby bringing us up to where we need to be, even if the current presentation for the 51st Cosâ may be rudimentary on my part...and on my part only - again, I say, under the hood, the work many have put into the Wiki since its inception in regard to templates, etc. is truly remarkable, and for all these individuals, I have a new respect.

For the longest time, I avoided working on the Digest because I did not have the time to take a deep-dive and learn at least the most-basic rudiments of Wikicode in regard to tables (and everything else, actually). Once I was able to take the few days necessary to get the fundamentals of how the templates work, I was able to fashion everything to my own needs, resulting in blocks of code I can copy/paste into each Clark and bill page.

And yes, I am putting every Cosâ on its own page. The original single page with every single Clark listed has become too unwieldy, imho, and eventually, you all will find each Cosâ having its own page linked from the original page on which all the Clarks were once to be found. Of course, I have not in regard to tables and templates reinvented the wheel and will adhere as much as possible to that which has gone before.

The bill template asks for what laws, if any, said bill amends. That is easy to put together. What will be a far-bigger challenge is bringing together how said bill as a law has been amended. The amount of pure data on our legal legacy in Talossa is immense, and I have a new understanding of why, on a far-greater scale, the laws of the U. S., Texas, etc. all have books on top of books on top of books on top of more books that synthesize the previous books, plus commentaries, and the list goes on and on...

It is only in the last day or two I have finally figured out why we need the Digest on the Wiki. It serves as 1. a secondary source in case the Database goes south and 2. keeps to what I believe is the goal of the Wiki in bringing all Talossan information and history to a single, archivable, digital place.

In time, the Digest will be caught up, and for the long delay in getting to this, I offer my apologies. And in time, a far-greater over-arching project will, now I see, emerge: getting the Scribery in far-greater order and more-beautiful and in a more-efficient presentation to, invisibly, help keep running the legal machine that powers the framework on which, partly at least, we in Talossa shape our society, how it works, and how we deal with each other.

GV, Scribe

GV

Wow - thanks for this!  I will need to put together a new document and have it vetted with you and others.

GV

Quote from: GV on January 18, 2020, 09:36:44 AM
Wow - thanks for this!  I will need to put together a new document and have it vetted with you and others.

Hee, hee...  responded to the wrong thread