Welcome to Wittenberg!

Author Topic: Re: 6th Clark - April 2021  (Read 139 times)

Offline Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial

• Batetz las maes, perf. — Freelance glheþineir
    • Talossan since: 12. Mai dallas 2014/XXXV

• View Profile
Re: 6th Clark - April 2021
« on: April 28, 2021, 01:24:10 PM »
As someone who is not (yet) a Membreu del Ziu, I will post the following message on the El Glheþ Talossan board instead.

Sextéu Clark da Simca-Quintéu Cosa

Noi refuçént noastra sancziun à’cest RZ21 es RZ24 es perventüră exerciçént l’impidamaintsch rexhital.

Noi aprovént acest RZ22 es RZ23.  Lor recorda starp l'annuntzia dels legeux.

—  Ian Regeu

It is always great to see the national language used in official correspondence, which is why I wrote the "El Estat" document for the then-Regent-now-Baron back then in the first place, but I must demand that, if the language is to be used, that it should be used properly. This passage contains some errors which are so basic that they are beyond embarrassing, especially for someone who is said to not only have studied the language but have been a catalyst for the controversial 2007 Arestada, if I understand the TalossaWiki correctly. Here is a quick rundown.

Sextéu Clark da Simca-Quintéu Cosa
This literally means "Sixth Clark of Five-Fifth{wrong gender} Cosa".
The correct translation is Sextéu Clark dal Simeinçe-Quintéă Cosă.

Noi refuçént noastra sancziun à’cest RZ21 es RZ24 es perventüră exerciçént l’impidamaintsch rexhital.
Literally "We refuse{wrong stress} our* sanction to this RZ21 and RZ24 and herewith exercise{wrong stress} the royal veto."
Regular verbs in the first and third person plural (noi, os, as, ça *-ent) are never stressed on the final syllable. I also have an issue with the inconsistent use of Ă; it should be either noastra ... perventüra or noastră ... perventüră (or noastrâ ... perventürâ but that is neither here nor there).
Thus, the correct translation is Noi refuçent noastră sancziun àð RZ21 es RZ24 es perventüră exerciçent l’impidamaintsch rexhital.

Noi aprovént acest RZ22 es RZ23.  Lor recorda starp l'annuntzia dels legeux.
Literally "We approve{wrong stress} this RZ22 and RZ23. Record them* among the digest* of (the) laws."
I checked the Scúrzniâ Gramáticâ, talossan.com and the draft of the 2017 Gid Compläts, and I have come to realise that the use of "lor" there is ambiguous. All of these documents explain that "ça" is the neuter plural, i.e. "they" when talking about inanimate objects, and that the object form of "ça" is "en", but the logical consequence that therefore "them" when talking about inanimate objects is "en" in Talossan is never explicitly stated. I for one would say that using "lor" here is wrong, but I am not sure.
The Talossan word for annals is "adnalăs". "annuntziă" is digest, or at least the phrase "Annuntziă dels Legeux" is consistently translated as "Digest of Laws" on TalossaWiki despite "annuntziă" missing from the dictionary. I do not mind the reference to the Digest, but if you aim for an accurate translation, you ought to use "adnalăs" instead.
In any case, the way I would translate it is Noi aprovent RZ22 es RZ23.  Recordetz-en starp las adnalăs dels legeux.

Should any questions arise, please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:44:48 PM by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial »
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Els Temps da Jahnlähle, finalmint sürlignha. <-- ¡Clichetz aicì es estetz amaçescu!

Online Miestră Schivă, UrN

• Prime Minister
  • Citizen
  • Large and In Charge
    • Talossan since: 2004-06-12

• View Profile
    • Free Democrats of Talossa
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 03:25:50 PM »
Thanks for this, this is precisely what SIGN is supposed to do. In defence of Ián Lupúl el Regeu Fäts-Niþil, at least he's trying.

Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Talossa. Ask me anything.
JOIN THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA - ask me how!

"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Offline Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial

• Batetz las maes, perf. — Freelance glheþineir
    • Talossan since: 12. Mai dallas 2014/XXXV

• View Profile
Re: Re: 6th Clark - April 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 03:44:52 PM »
Thanks for this, this is precisely what SIGN is supposed to do. In defence of Ián Lupúl el Regeu Fäts-Niþil, at least he's trying.

Speaking of which, *farniént. I discovered that word 20 minutes ago or so.

EDIT: also, Lúpul, otherwise the stress is wrong.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Els Temps da Jahnlähle, finalmint sürlignha. <-- ¡Clichetz aicì es estetz amaçescu!

Offline King John

• Regeu de Talossa
  • Citizen
  • Regeu da Talossa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 05:27:09 PM »
Thank you for the corrections.  I should have prrofread more carefully.

John R