A Communique to Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Started by Béneditsch Ardpresteir, May 04, 2021, 12:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Béneditsch Ardpresteir

Azul @Baron Alexandreu Davinescu !

The RTCoA is happy to know about your elevation to the Nobility of the great nation of Talossa.

Do you want the help of the College in designing your Crest and Motto?

Will await your reply.

Dean BenArd
Béneditsch Ardpresteir, Esq., O.SPM, PMPA
Squirrel King of Arms, Royal Talossan College of Arms; The Noir Eagle Herald
Member, Royal Talossan Bar; Vice Admiral, Royal Talossan Navy; Owner-Schneiderian Steels

Formerly:
Justice of the Uppermost Cort; Attorney General; Deputy Immigration Minister; Senator; Member of the Cosa; Undersecretary of State; Premier & Provincial Secretary, Maricopa; Chancellor of the O.SPM; Dean, RTCoA; Jolly Good Fellow

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

That would be great, yes!  Wow, I forgot about that.  The wiki says "members of the peerage are entitled to enhancement of their achievements of arms consisting of a motto, a crowned helm, a crest, and mantling."  Motto is easy enough, but we need to design a crest...  I'm comfortable doing my own graphic design for this, but I don't really know what has to be done for a crest.  Is it just choosing a style of crown and a symbol to go with the crown?  What are the options?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Like, this is a possible blazon:  Vert a saltire argent and mantling or a helmet with crest a crow sable and motto "CONSISTE ET COGITA"

Is that all correct?

Also, I was considering taking this occasion to drop the charge from my shield.  Is that permitted?

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Béneditsch Ardpresteir

Azul Baron !

Your Blazon for the Arms would remain the same; so no dropping of any charge is permitted.

Although you are entitled to a mantle, as a norm in Taloosa, it would be in the same hue as your arms i.e. vert and argent

The Motto that you have chosen is perfect.

On the issue of charge, your choice of a 'crow' is definitely available and allowed as per heraldic practice. However the helmet would be slightly changed with a baronial coronet on it.

The Blazon for the creast would thus be:

Peched from a baronial coronet proper a crow (close) sable. [Since the standard attitude of a bird such as a crow is 'close', I believe that the word may be removed].

See this page, for Baronial Mantle and coronet design: http://wiki.talossa.com/Arms_of_the_Nobility

Dean BenArd

Member, Royal Talossan Bar; Vice Admiral, Royal Talossan Navy; Owner-Schneiderian Steels

Formerly:
Justice of the Uppermost Cort; Attorney General; Deputy Immigration Minister; Senator; Member of the Cosa; Undersecretary of State; Premier & Provincial Secretary, Maricopa; Chancellor of the O.SPM; Dean, RTCoA; Jolly Good Fellow

Quote from: Béneditsch Ardpresteir on May 05, 2021, 03:23:20 AM

Azul Baron !

Your Blazon for the Arms would remain the same; so no dropping of any charge is permitted.

Although you are entitled to a mantle, as a norm in Taloosa, it would be in the same hue as your arms i.e. vert and argent

The Motto that you have chosen is perfect.

On the issue of charge, your choice of a 'crow' is definitely available and allowed as per heraldic practice. However the helmet would be slightly changed with a baronial coronet on it.

The Blazon for the creast would thus be:

Peched from a baronial coronet proper a crow (close) sable. [Since the standard attitude of a bird such as a crow is 'close', I believe that the word may be removed].

See this page, for Baronial Mantle and coronet design: http://wiki.talossa.com/Arms_of_the_Nobility

Dean BenArd
Well shoot... after fifteen years and with the initial goal accomplished, I'd hoped this would be an occasion to change the blazon.  Are there any circumstances under which someone is permitted to apply for a modification to their blazon?

I tried to draw up a mantle with gules and argent, but it looked (frankly) ugly.  Is the rule about the mantling a firm one, or can I display them a little bit "off?"

I took another crack at it, making the mantling just undifferentiated (like some of the existing examples) and with a new motto.  I am moderately sure of my Latin: it is intended to say, "Let us seek out compassion, courage, and the truth."  It's been a while since I formed a jussive subjunctive, but I think it's correct.  I've had the same motto for a long time, so I thought it might be time to shift to the family ideals instead.

Béneditsch Ardpresteir

Plus, if you drop the charge, your CoA would become that of Tecou, a commune in southern France.

Formerly:

Béneditsch Ardpresteir

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 13, 2021, 12:22:40 PM
I took another crack at it, making the mantling just undifferentiated (like some of the existing examples) and with a new motto.  I am moderately sure of my Latin: it is intended to say, "Let us seek out compassion, courage, and the truth."  It's been a while since I formed a jussive subjunctive, but I think it's correct.  I've had the same motto for a long time, so I thought it might be time to shift to the family ideals instead.

The google translator has dropped the 'truth' factor in totality. Should we replace verumque with veritas?
Further, the word 'audentia' gives the desired result and not its inflection as mentioned by you. 

No idea with the Latin... should I finalize and send it upstairs to the room that's rarely opened?

Formerly:

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Sorry for intruding, but Google Translate should not be used to either translate into Latin or to verify a Latin translation.

Based on what I remember from 7 years or Latin classes, I believe Lord Davinescu's translation to be correct.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Quote from: Béneditsch Ardpresteir on May 17, 2021, 03:50:13 AM

Plus, if you drop the charge, your CoA would become that of Tecou, a commune in southern France.

Alas!  Okay, you're the boss.

Quote from: Béneditsch Ardpresteir on May 17, 2021, 04:21:55 AM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 13, 2021, 12:22:40 PM

The google translator has dropped the 'truth' factor in totality. Should we replace verumque with veritas?
Further, the word 'audentia' gives the desired result and not its inflection as mentioned by you. 

No idea with the Latin... should I finalize and send it upstairs to the room that's rarely opened?

Google Translate is bad at Latin. I'm sure there's a good technical reason why, such as a lack of reinforcing inputs from new Latin writers.

As best I understand, this is the Latin: compassionem audentiam verumque quaeramus.  Compassionem audentiam verumque are all of the same case, the accusative singular, because they're direct objects.  Latin has different ways of saying "and," and among those ways is by appending the "-que" enclitic onto the end of a word.  Thus the Latin phrase SPQR: senatus populusque romanum, the Senate and the people of Rome (they actually considered the que to be its own word). So to make a list, you can slap the -que on the end of the last word.

Verum isn't exactly a noun, which is why Translate probably couldn't understand it.  It's an adjective which I'm using as a noun (nominalizing), which is something you're allowed to do in Latin and which classical writers have done with the adjective verus in the past.  I chose that word over veritas on purpose, since veritas is an abstract sort of word.  It refers to the idea of truth, whereas verum speaks more concretely to whether something corresponds with reality.

The verb is the "subjunctive" case, which covers a ton of possible meanings.  Among those meanings is what's called the "jussive subjunctive," which urges someone to do an action generally.  It's plural present -- "let us (whatever)." The actual verb means to seek out or inquire.

I will be the first to say that languages don't come naturally to me and that it's been a long time since Latin class, but I believe that this translation is correct.

Istefan Perþonest

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on May 17, 2021, 04:48:08 AM
Sorry for intruding, but Google Translate should not be used to either translate into Latin or to verify a Latin translation.

Based on what I remember from 7 years or Latin classes, I believe Lord Davinescu's translation to be correct.
Yeah, I've got a friend who's now a classics grad student/TA at the University of Minnesota, and "Don't use Google Translate; it's not that it's cheating, it's that it's laughably wrong" is what they tell their undergrads.
Istefan Éovart Perþonest
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort
Cunstavál of Fiôvâ
Burgermeister of Inland Revenue

I'm still fiddling with the emblazonment, here and there, but I'm near settled on this crest.  I like the idea of a mural crown.

Upon discovery that there is a weird heraldric term for crows/ravens, the "corbie," I am obligated by our rules to amend the prospective enhancement of my blazon to use that term instead.  Just a quick note.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

"Corbies" is the Scots language term for those birds, as reflected in a particularly creepy folk song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDvCO2rSCa0

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan