News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Domestic Migration

Started by Françal I. Lux, May 16, 2021, 01:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Françal I. Lux

I'd like to request a change of province. I have flown the coop from rural Middle Tennessee to the bustling cities of the San Francisco Bay Area. I believe I'll be in the Province of Maricopa now. I'd be happy to update any and all information with the office of the Secretary of State.
F. I. Lux, Minister of Interior

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Françal I. Lux on May 16, 2021, 01:47:21 AM
I'd like to request a change of province. I have flown the coop from rural Middle Tennessee to the bustling cities of the San Francisco Bay Area. I believe I'll be in the Province of Maricopa now. I'd be happy to update any and all information with the office of the Secretary of State.

Done. Welcome to Maricopa.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

xpb

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 16, 2021, 10:20:34 AM

Point of order - is it possible for someone to switch provinces after an election has begun and vote in the new province, or would that have to wait until the next election?
I am also interested in the rules for people to declare their intent to dwell in a different province by choice (where this is a situation of authorized geography of their dwelling)

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Here's the relevant law:

7.3. No Talossan citizen may transfer his provincial citizenship to a different province, except by physically moving into that province or into the zone corresponding to that province. A citizens living inside or outside of Talossa, who moves permanently into an outside zone corresponding to a different province will be (re)assigned by the SoS to the province corresponding to the new geographic zone in accordance with the following provisions:
7.3.1 The provisions in this section do not apply unless the citizen explicitly consents to being reassigned. Whenever any Talossan wants to move his provincial assignment to the province in whose assigned area he actually lives, he may do so by notifying the Chancery. The move will be officially recognised once the Chancery has validated the request. (49RZ21 49RZ13)
7.3.2 The Secretary of State will be responsible for the various moves and assignments which result from this title. These moves and assignments will take effect on their official announcement by the Secretary of State. (49RZ21 47RZ2)

There does not appear to be anything preventing someone from physically moving, notifying the Chancery of this, and then voting in their new province (as long as they didn't already vote).  Everything seems on the up and up.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: xpb on May 16, 2021, 12:48:29 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 16, 2021, 10:20:34 AM

Point of order - is it possible for someone to switch provinces after an election has begun and vote in the new province, or would that have to wait until the next election?
I am also interested in the rules for people to declare their intent to dwell in a different province by choice (where this is a situation of authorized geography of their dwelling)

As there is no senate election in either his previous province or Maricopa, there is no reason not to reassign him. He didn't move just to vote on another provinces senate race. Maricopa has an open legislature so that also has no impact. He also had previously notified the Chancery of his impending move prior to the election so I see no reason to not make the adjustment under current law. Nothing to see here.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Françal I. Lux

Thank you everyone! Finally about to make being a language nerd official. Starting my Master's program for comparative linguistics in the Fall

xpb

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 16, 2021, 01:56:49 PM
Quote from: xpb on May 16, 2021, 12:48:29 PM

As there is no senate election in either his previous province or Maricopa, there is no reason not to reassign him. He didn't move just to vote on another provinces senate race. Maricopa has an open legislature so that also has no impact. He also had previously notified the Chancery of his impending move prior to the election so I see no reason to not make the adjustment under current law. Nothing to see here.

and

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 16, 2021, 01:37:48 PM
Here's the relevant law:

7.3. No Talossan citizen may transfer his provincial citizenship to a different province, except by physically moving into that province or into the zone corresponding to that province. A citizens living inside or outside of Talossa, who moves permanently into an outside zone corresponding to a different province will be (re)assigned by the SoS to the province corresponding to the new geographic zone in accordance with the following provisions:
7.3.1 The provisions in this section do not apply unless the citizen explicitly consents to being reassigned. Whenever any Talossan wants to move his provincial assignment to the province in whose assigned area he actually lives, he may do so by notifying the Chancery. The move will be officially recognised once the Chancery has validated the request. (49RZ21 49RZ13)
7.3.2 The Secretary of State will be responsible for the various moves and assignments which result from this title. These moves and assignments will take effect on their official announcement by the Secretary of State. (49RZ21 47RZ2)

There does not appear to be anything preventing someone from physically moving, notifying the Chancery of this, and then voting in their new province (as long as they didn't already vote).  Everything seems on the up and up.

Thanks for both of the clarifications.  Now my question is that in some manner I was originally sorted to Cézembre under some previous protocol (perhaps to balance the population distribution) as the statute now reads:

7.10. CÉZEMBRE PROVINCE. Talossan citizens living in the following areas shall be assigned to Cézembre Province: the nations of Ireland, United Kingdom, Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Monaco and any European nation not listed elsewhere.

-- if I were becoming a citizen now, by my current domicile, I would be in Florencia.  Thus reading here in hypothetical cases - the only place I could choose if I wished to (which I do not) for relocation would be Florencia, and that no person who does not dwell in the nations listed in 7.10 can become a citizen of Cézembre?

If I am understanding this correctly, then as immigrants continue to come from other areas than these countries, then Cézembre is not able to increase its population? 

We are at 21 citizens at the moment out of 185 active. 

May a citizen petition the King, the Ziu, &/or the Cort to be relocated other than by that granted by physically dwelling within a zone?

Is there any suspension of new immigration during an election?

Quote from: xpb on May 16, 2021, 05:38:05 PM
-- if I were becoming a citizen now, by my current domicile, I would be in Florencia.  Thus reading here in hypothetical cases - the only place I could choose if I wished to (which I do not) for relocation would be Florencia, and that no person who does not dwell in the nations listed in 7.10 can become a citizen of Cézembre?
Correct. You can relocate if you wish but new citizens fall into the currently designated catchment areas unless those are changed by the Ziu.

If I am understanding this correctly, then as immigrants continue to come from other areas than these countries, then Cézembre is not able to increase its population? 
Yes. They would have to be in the catchment area under existing law.

May a citizen petition the King, the Ziu, &/or the Cort to be relocated other than by that granted by physically dwelling within a zone?
Not as the law is currently written, no.

Is there any suspension of new immigration during an election?
Why would we suspend immigration? The chances of someone completing the process from start to finish in the 15 days of an election are incredibly slim. If someone were to be granted citizenship while an election was ongoing, why would we not allow them to exercise their rights and vote?
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

xpb

QuoteWhy would we suspend immigration? The chances of someone completing the process from start to finish in the 15 days of an election are incredibly slim. If someone were to be granted citizenship while an election was ongoing, why would we not allow them to exercise their rights and vote?

I think the reason could be because of the perceptions of impropriety (not necessarily something nefarious, but just poor optics).

Miestră Schivă, UrN

No. This was the line put up by King Robert in 2004, alleging that his political opponents were "stacking the immigration queue" against him. Placing new citizens under suspicion, rather than welcoming them, was one of the things that led to him eventually being run out of the country. It makes Talossa smaller, meaner, nastier and more cult-like. That tradition - like the belief that some people, i.e. those critical of the monarchy, don't belong in Talossa - is abhorrent.

... where is the section of the Organic or statute law which explicitly states that you get a vote if you immigrate during the election? Because I'm sure there is one.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Quote from: xpb on May 16, 2021, 06:58:54 PM

QuoteWhy would we suspend immigration? The chances of someone completing the process from start to finish in the 15 days of an election are incredibly slim. If someone were to be granted citizenship while an election was ongoing, why would we not allow them to exercise their rights and vote?

I think the reason could be because of the perceptions of impropriety (not necessarily something nefarious, but just poor optics).
I think this is a fair enough concern, but this also happens incredibly infrequently.  Indeed, I can't think of it ever happening before!  If a province is worried enough about it, they could pass a law providing that only those who are citizens of the province at the start of Balloting Day get a vote.  I might just be blanking, but I don't think there's any Organic conflict there.  Not sure it would be a good idea to do that, though, until a problem actually happens.  No reason to risk disenfranchising people by accident!
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 16, 2021, 07:46:05 PM

I think this is a fair enough concern, but this also happens incredibly infrequently.  Indeed, I can't think of it ever happening before!  If a province is worried enough about it, they could pass a law providing that only those who are citizens of the province at the start of Balloting Day get a vote.  I might just be blanking, but I don't think there's any Organic conflict there.  Not sure it would be a good idea to do that, though, until a problem actually happens.  No reason to risk disenfranchising people by accident!

We could make problems where none exist too. I sure hope neither of you gentleman is suggesting anything improper in a citizen transferring provinces that has absolutely no effect on the election whatsoever or questioning my impartiality in applying the laws in fulfilling the very demanding job of Secretary of State.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 16, 2021, 08:04:26 PM

We could make problems where none exist too. I sure hope neither of you gentleman is suggesting anything improper in a citizen transferring provinces that has absolutely no effect on the election whatsoever or questioning my impartiality in applying the laws in fulfilling the very demanding job of Secretary of State.
...?

I said I thought that it wouldn't be a good idea to try to "solve" this, since no problem with it has actually happened.

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 16, 2021, 08:23:16 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 16, 2021, 08:04:26 PM

...?

I said I thought that it wouldn't be a good idea to try to "solve" this, since no problem with it has actually happened.

I'm probably just being overly cautious. This is my first election and I want to avoid any mistakes.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Françal I. Lux

And needless to say—I informed the Chancery weeks in advance about my move and I have absolutely no nefarious intentions in my transfer. I would just like the Talossan province to reflect the actual place I'm actually living in catchment-wise.