News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Republic Records

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, May 27, 2021, 12:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I've been working on a history of Talossa, as some folks know, and I'd like to find out more info about the Republic.  I have some info written out by CCX about their government during one period, and there are snapshots online of many of the now-vanished sites.  But there's a ton of basic info that just seems to be gone.  Is there a version of the Republic's message board anywhere?  Are there any other primary records?  For example, where are the election records and legislative records?  Is all of that just lost or inaccessible?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

anglatzara

I have some folders scattered on various hard disks, with citizen lists, versions of the Constitution etc. I will sift through it, delete personal details like birth dates, addresses etc, and see if I can get a zip over to you.

That would be great!  Absolutely anything you have.  I can also try to make a public-facing archive, although then I'd want you to look at it carefully to make sure nothing sensitive was published even beyond redacted personal data.  I'd also encourage you to make an unredacted archive and give it to someone you trust to keep it safe, like our Archivist GV, just to make sure this info doesn't get lost.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

DixhetFira

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 27, 2021, 12:08:15 PM
I've been working on a history of Talossa, as some folks know, and I'd like to find out more info about the Republic.

That would be an interesting read for sure. I know there are message boards, like this one, and of course legislative records but it would be nice to read the history of Talossa in a history or novel form.

Quote from: DixhetFira on May 28, 2021, 08:16:08 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 27, 2021, 12:08:15 PM
I've been working on a history of Talossa, as some folks know, and I'd like to find out more info about the Republic.

That would be an interesting read for sure. I know there are message boards, like this one, and of course legislative records but it would be nice to read the history of Talossa in a history or novel form.
There's not a lot out there right now, but there is some. There is one history running up until about 10 years ago, written by our founder, but it's pretty biased throughout, often downright malicious, and not very well written. You can also look on the wiki at the history page, where I assembled a pretty good timeline when I first got started on this project years ago. And there was also a recent effort called the new history project, written by two former citizens of the Republic, but it focuses on some specific times and I think is still in its early stages.

What I was asking about here were for records for the Republic of Talossa. Because of the behavior of the founder of the country, a group of citizens left to form their own version and the two coexisted for quite some time, before eventually merging again. There isn't actually that much info on them available right now, although I'd like to change that.

GV

Quote from: anglatzara on May 28, 2021, 06:16:14 AM
I have some folders scattered on various hard disks, with citizen lists, versions of the Constitution etc. I will sift through it, delete personal details like birth dates, addresses etc, and see if I can get a zip over to you.

Please send that .zip to me as well.  Thanks so much!

GV

Most of the history of the 2004-2012 Republic is stored on Wittenbergs X, XII, and XIIb (XI being 'OldWitt').  MPF knows the need to have these back online, but has literally not had the time to get to these projects and will not have time to do that for the foreseeable future.

Of course, he can correct me on all of this.

I don't know that we do need him to put them back online. I think even I have the technical chops to do it, as I understand it. Just need the files.

It's been 9 years that we've just let this drift. Right now the main account we have for most of the republic's history comes from the view of outsiders in the Kingdom. I know that probably sounds silly to people who were there the whole time and are here speaking now, but aside from a few exhaustively discussed moments, very little is written down or available. And the longer we wait, the more likely that situation is to become permanent for much of it.

Sorry, not trying to be melodramatic. I just think it's important, that's all.

Just bumping this.  Still have nothing on the Republic.

GV

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on June 09, 2021, 06:28:07 AM
Just bumping this.  Still have nothing on the Republic.

I think it is safe to say MPF literally will not have time to get this data to you or anyone else for the foreseeable future, alas.  I have some stuff I will eventually put up, though it's only from the earliest days of the Republic.

Since you will also be very busy, anything you can send me right now will be helpful, even if it isn't organized or published into a PDF like you prefer.  I'm also holding out hope for @anglatzara .  Really, it's just astonishing how little info there is right now.  It's like trying to write about a hermit kingdom -- I have some official speeches and announcements that were outward-facing, but virtually no actual data or real history.  I can't even find a list of officials past 2008/2009, as though there were none from then to the end.

GV

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on June 09, 2021, 08:37:06 AM
Since you will also be very busy, anything you can send me right now will be helpful, even if it isn't organized or published into a PDF like you prefer.  I'm also holding out hope for @anglatzara .  Really, it's just astonishing how little info there is right now.  It's like trying to write about a hermit kingdom -- I have some official speeches and announcements that were outward-facing, but virtually no actual data or real history.  I can't even find a list of officials past 2008/2009, as though there were none from then to the end.

Try searching captures for talossa.com on Wayback between 1 June 2004 and 20 April 2012, inclusive.  Yeah, when the Republic disappeared, its online presence disappeared as well.

GV

Quote from: GV on June 09, 2021, 02:27:44 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on June 09, 2021, 08:37:06 AM

Try searching captures for talossa.com on Wayback between 1 June 2004 and 20 April 2012, inclusive.  Yeah, when the Republic disappeared, its online presence disappeared as well.

See what you can get for talossaonline.com, too.

I've done that, and there's just very little. Large portions were never captured, or were only captured once. I have collected what I could, though.

I brought up this issue shortly after the merge, and it didn't go anywhere and I couldn't get anything. But there is a very real risk that all of that is just going to vanish into the ether as time wears on. Files get lost, memories fade, and interest wanes. And eventually, 8 years of independent history and culture will be written off in a sentence. What were the campaigns like in the elections? What were the disagreements in triumph? What were the games played or inventions made? How did people react to events in the Kingdom? "Unfortunately, most of the records and discussions from this time are not available or have been permanently lost."

I know there are still people in our country, like yourself, who value that stuff, remember it fondly, and want to preserve it. And it's the sort of thing that always gets pushed to the back burner, year after year. But please send me whatever you have, folks.

GV

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on June 09, 2021, 02:46:31 PM
I've done that, and there's just very little. Large portions were never captured, or were only captured once. I have collected what I could, though.

I brought up this issue shortly after the merge, and it didn't go anywhere and I couldn't get anything. But there is a very real risk that all of that is just going to vanish into the ether as time wears on. Files get lost, memories fade, and interest wanes. And eventually, 8 years of independent history and culture will be written off in a sentence. What were the campaigns like in the elections? What were the disagreements in triumph? What were the games played or inventions made? How did people react to events in the Kingdom? "Unfortunately, most of the records and discussions from this time are not available or have been permanently lost."

I know there are still people in our country, like yourself, who value that stuff, remember it fondly, and want to preserve it. And it's the sort of thing that always gets pushed to the back burner, year after year. But please send me whatever you have, folks.

Many thanks for your interest!  I know Derivatism vs. Peculiarism was a big deal for a long while.