News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Order of Business for the August 2021 Clark

Started by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP, July 20, 2021, 06:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Esteemed Members of the Cosă, dear colleagues,

I intend to open a thread on this board concurrent with the August 2021 Clark, in which Members will be able to debate bills on the Clark in question. As such, that thread will be open from the 1st until the 21st of August. As there is no real procedure for this (yet), I call all Party leaders and other Members of this House to help establish the Order of Business for the coming Clark.

Here are some of my thoughts:
- Bills will be discussed in the order they appear in in the Clark. Only one Bill shall be discussed at a time.
- Party leaders may request Free Time in this thread. During Free Time, the Cosă may debate things that are not part of the Clark.
- Members of the Cosă who wish to speak on a bill or during Free Time are invited to announce it in this thread. If the Member who Clarked a given bill or requested Free Time wishes to speak, they will be first to do so in the discussion thread, otherwise the first Member to speak shall be picked from the same party or, failing that, from the same side of the Cosă (Goverment or Opposition). They will then be followed by a member of the opposing side of the Cosă and so on, until the list of Members is exhausted. At that point, Members will be able to freely give speeches if they wish to do so, until the next point on the agenda is brought up by the Túischac'h.
- Party leaders may request Terpelaziuns or Question Time in this thread. These will be organised as per Lexh H.2, except that no separate threads shall be created for each question.
- Members will be able to raise Points of Order at any time during the debate.

I am aware that this procedure may be alien to Members of this House. My predecessor, the Honorable S:reu Rôibeardescù, tried to establish something similar to this during the last Cosă but was met with apathy at best. It is my true opinion that the Cosă should, nay -- must, not become a deserted forum board, but rather do what a Parliament is supposed to do: parlar!

So, feel free to announce your intention to speak in the upcoming Clark, request Free Time or Question Time, or let me know about how this process could be improved or streamlined in this thread. Your feedback is not just appreciated but of utmost importance!

EDIT: The August Clark has started.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Dear colleagues,

I can't force anyone to participate in this experiment of course, but for this to work I need your support. Announcing your intention to speak beforehand would help me with organising the upcoming Clark debates, so please consider doing so.

ATTN:

B - @Xhorxh Briga
DIEN - @Munditenens Tresplet
FREEDEMS - @Txoteu Davinescu
KLüP - @Glüc da Dhi
LCC - @Txosuè Rôibeardescù
NPW - @Eiric Börnatfiglheu
PT - @Marcel Tafial
TNC - @Breneir Tzaracomprada

(as a sidenote, I'm not really convinced that this "tagging" actually does anything...)

xpb

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on July 26, 2021, 10:05:59 AM
ATTN:

B - @Xhorxh Briga
DIEN - @Munditenens Tresplet
FREEDEMS - @Txoteu Davinescu
KLüP - @Glüc da Dhi
LCC - @Txosuè Rôibeardescù
NPW - @Eiric Börnatfiglheu
PT - @Marcel Tafial
TNC - @Breneir Tzaracomprada

(as a sidenote, I'm not really convinced that this "tagging" actually does anything...)

Such tagging is one possible way to gain attention of the party leaders, although it may also be appropriate to tag the entire party list of each who may in turn inform the party leaders should they be distracted.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Estimat Túischac'h! The Free Democrats wish to speak to both bills before the Chamber, I'm just sorting out with our party president who from our side will rise to give the speech.

Also, will there be a set Timp për Terpelaziuns/Question Time?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 01, 2021, 06:02:26 PM
Estimat Túischac'h! The Free Democrats wish to speak to both bills before the Chamber, I'm just sorting out with our party president who from our side will rise to give the speech.
Great, good to know. Unless someone else seizes the opportunity to speak before a list of speaker gets established, whoever gets picked by your party will be the first in line.

QuoteAlso, will there be a set Timp për Terpelaziuns/Question Time?
Had someone requested it earlier I could've scheduled it before the 21st, but if there's demand for it we could have Terpelaziuns sometime between the 22st and the 31st. Would you (or your party leader), like to request it?

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Terps really should be the responsibility of the Opposition parties to organise. There is a regrettable tradition in Talossan politics of the Opposition just not playing a role between elections - it's much easier to complain about the Government than to actually hold the Government to account through this constitutional measure.

Back in KR1's day, the main opposition parties had a notorious tendency to act as "do-nothing vote sponges" - collect anti-Government votes in the elections but not act as an opposition between times. I must say I was gobsmacked to hear the (presumptive) Leader of the Opposition saying that he had no idea of his role in the State Opening of the Ziu and was otherwise engaged. I would heartily encourage the Opposition Parties (including that party which joined and then deserted the Government for no adequately arranged reason) to get their act together, choose a leader who will actually hold my/our feet to the fire, and act like you want to be the Government next time.

Anyway, what was I saying? In other countries there's a weekly slot for Question Time in Parliament. Seeing as we're all in different time zones, we could declare (for example) Wednesday to be the day that Terps should be submitted, and that they should be answered the following Wednesday unless the Túischac'h/Mençéi (as applicable) gives leave otherwise.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

xpb

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 01, 2021, 10:14:53 PM
Terps really should be the responsibility of the Opposition parties to organise. There is a regrettable tradition in Talossan politics of the Opposition just not playing a role between elections - it's much easier to complain about the Government than to actually hold the Government to account through this constitutional measure.

Back in KR1's day, the main opposition parties had a notorious tendency to act as "do-nothing vote sponges" - collect anti-Government votes in the elections but not act as an opposition between times. I must say I was gobsmacked to hear the (presumptive) Leader of the Opposition saying that he had no idea of his role in the State Opening of the Ziu and was otherwise engaged. I would heartily encourage the Opposition Parties (including that party which joined and then deserted the Government for no adequately arranged reason) to get their act together, choose a leader who will actually hold my/our feet to the fire, and act like you want to be the Government next time.

Anyway, what was I saying? In other countries there's a weekly slot for Question Time in Parliament. Seeing as we're all in different time zones, we could declare (for example) Wednesday to be the day that Terps should be submitted, and that they should be answered the following Wednesday unless the Túischac'h/Mençéi (as applicable) gives leave otherwise.

My apologies for your being gobsmacked.  I will be happy to support the other parties in providing opposition.  The month of August 2021 is a very significant one for our family, where first I take my son to an international robotics competition, then take him to start college.  In September 2021 I will become more available, with the understanding that the march of events within the (now) Kingdom is at a critical juncture.

The Opposition could elect a new Leader of the Opposition for the month of August or something, just so things can run smoothly until you're available again, S:reu Briga.

xpb

as discussed in https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=975.msg7913#msg7913

Quote from: xpb on August 02, 2021, 05:54:39 PM
As per the stated division at https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=908.msg7292#msg7292 B - Balançeu/Balance has a total of 33 seats in the Cosa.
I represent 17 seats, and @Dixhet Fira represents 16 seats.

For the month of August, for the specific purpose of establishing a leader of the opposition and for no other purpose, I provide proxy for the 17 seats in the Cosa that I personally represent to @Munditenens Tresplet, thus bringing the total for DIEN to 31 to become the primary representative of the opposition.

The casting of votes on specific legislation will remain within the purview of B - Balançeu/Balance.  To reiterate, this proxy is only for the purpose of establishing an opposition leader for the formal activities of opening of the Ziu.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The Seneschál is celebrating his new job by going on holiday, lol (so I suppose I have to take back my digs at the Balançéu leader, lol), so I will be speaking for the Free Democrats on these bills.