News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Correcting Talossan names

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, July 25, 2021, 04:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on July 25, 2021, 05:40:39 AM
I hate misspelled names. I hate them so much that I wrote a blog post about it, albeit in Talossan... anyway, the rampant misspellings that float around on here are the bane of my existence, especially considering that the correct spellings are not recorded in one place. The Database, the Wiki, Talossa.Net and of course Witt all have different flavours of misspelled names, making it impossible for laypeople to figure out which one is actually correct!

In that case, it sounds like we need a programme to make sure the correct spellings are used on the Database, the Wiki and talossa.net. This sounds like something the Ladintsch Naziunal, @the Secretary of State and @the Minister of STUFF should be getting their heads together on, ASAP.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

GV

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 25, 2021, 04:52:22 PM
I hate misspelled names. I hate them so much that I wrote a blog post about it, albeit in Talossan... anyway, the rampant misspellings that float around on here are the bane of my existence, especially considering that the correct spellings are not recorded in one place. The Database, the Wiki, Talossa.Net and of course Witt all have different flavours of misspelled names, making it impossible for laypeople to figure out which one is actually correct!

In that case, it sounds like we need a programme to make sure the correct spellings are used on the Database, the Wiki and talossa.net. This sounds like something the Ladintsch Naziunal, @the Secretary of State and @the Minister of STUFF should be getting their heads together on, ASAP.

The latest 'published' edition of my 'Talossan Book of Names' is in the Talossan Secret Archives and represents a lot of work.  If SIGN wishes to take on the job of maintaining it in future, I'm glad to let it go with the proviso it never be made available online due to the use of original-language names.

In a hundred years or so, it won't matter, but certainly while any of those so-named are still alive, it will matter.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 25, 2021, 04:52:22 PM

I have updated the names in the database. Most of them were already correct.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

I'm glad that this could be resolved so quickly.

Fun fact: One of the people whose name was misspelled in the Database was none other than Martì-Páir Furxhéir himself!
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on July 26, 2021, 01:10:35 PM
I'm glad that this could be resolved so quickly.

Fun fact: One of the people whose name was misspelled in the Database was none other than Martì-Páir Furxhéir himself!

I believe you were working from an old list. His name was spelled exactly the same as the list you edited.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on July 27, 2021, 04:09:36 PM
I believe you were working from an old list. His name was spelled exactly the same as the list you edited.
The list I edited was the one I copied directly from http://www.talossa.ca/files/citizens.php a few hours prior. The most recent capture on the WayBack Machine from four months ago still has it.

The error in question was that the name was spelled Martì-Pr instead of Martì-Páir.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on July 27, 2021, 04:22:50 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on July 27, 2021, 04:09:36 PM
The list I edited was the one I copied directly from http://www.talossa.ca/files/citizens.php a few hours prior. The most recent capture on the WayBack Machine from four months ago still has it.

The error in question was that the name was spelled Martì-Pr instead of Martì-Páir.

All I know is that when I pasted from your list, there was no change on mine. Nevertheless, hopefully the list is accurate now.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal