Presenting Vol. 1 of the Talossan Book of Cuisine!

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, March 17, 2022, 12:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Lüc

I finally checked out Vol.1 and it's amazing! I'll definitely try to make at least one of the simpler recipes.

I kind of want to volunteer a recipe or two for Vol.2 but I'm not sure I have anything special to offer. There's two easy dishes I like making at uni (vegetable rice with soy sauce, and frittata di zucchine) but again they're not particularly original. I might stick to desserts and do semifreddo and tiramisu.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: luc on April 18, 2022, 10:56:57 AM
I finally checked out Vol.1 and it's amazing! I'll definitely try to make at least one of the simpler recipes.

I kind of want to volunteer a recipe or two for Vol.2 but I'm not sure I have anything special to offer. There's two easy dishes I like making at uni (vegetable rice with soy sauce, and frittata di zucchine) but again they're not particularly original. I might stick to desserts and do semifreddo and tiramisu.

So glad you like Vol. 1. Please send your recipes, Luc. It would be great to share your favorite fixings with other Talossans.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on April 18, 2022, 11:28:25 AM
Quote from: luc on April 18, 2022, 10:56:57 AM

So glad you like Vol. 1. Please send your recipes, Luc. It would be great to share your favorite fixings with other Talossans.

I'll work on that then! Semifreddo has already been shared around so I wrote a recipe already, I'll review it and send it over with pics. Others will follow later.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Delicious looking Semifreddo recipe received. Volume 2 is definitely going to have more dessert recipes. Thank you, Luc!

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Sir Lüc

Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Just a quick reminder we are accepting recipes for Volume 2 of the Talossan Book of Cuisine.
If you have a family or favorite recipe to share just send it over.
Remember it does not have to be an original but please let us know the recipe writer so we can give full attribution.

PM me on here or by email copebh@gmail.com

Fora Talossa is also looking for Talossan cooks interested in doing a short video segment making a favorite recipe of theirs.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on May 02, 2022, 12:04:08 PM
Just a quick reminder we are accepting recipes for Volume 2 of the Talossan Book of Cuisine.
If you have a family or favorite recipe to share just send it over.
Remember it does not have to be an original but please let us know the recipe writer so we can give full attribution.

PM me on here or by email copebh@gmail.com

Fora Talossa is also looking for Talossan cooks interested in doing a short video segment making a favorite recipe of theirs.

A fortnightly reminder for Talossan epicureans

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Public announcement that we are still accepting recipes for Vol. 2 of the Book of Cuisine. :)

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Tric'hard Lenxheir

I already sent you mom's spaghetti sauce, let me think and perhaps I can come up with another good one
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Subak Kimchi (수박 김치)
Ingredients

• Four cups of watermelon rind
  • Half-cup of kosher salt
  • Six tablespoons red pepper powder
  • Three tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
  • Two tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
  • Two large garlic scapes, thinly sliced, or two cloves of garlic, minced, as preferred or available

Directions

• What do you do when you finish with your watermelon?  You eat the rind!  Four cups of watermelon rind is typically something like the rind of between 1/4 and 1/5 of a medium watermelon.  To prepare, first trim off any red flesh that you still see, and then use a knife or vegetable peeler to remove the waxy green outside.  You should be left with curved strips of white rind.  Slice these into very thin strips with a sharp knife or a mandolin.
  • Add your thin strips of rind to a large bowl, and then use your hand to stir them around while covering them in the salt.  You want each strip to get a liberal coating of salt.  If you need more salt, go nuts with it.  Don't worry -- most of that's going to be washed away!  Set this mixture aside.
  • In another large bowl, mix together all of the other ingredients.  You want to end up with a thick paste.  Add more or less sesame oil, as necessary to achieve this.
  • Once fifteen minutes have elapsed, begin squeezing out the watermelon rind.  It should already be sweating its juices, but you want to squeeze it tightly and wring out the rest of the liquid.  You can do this by the handful or use a cheesecloth, but don't use a mechanical press, since you want to keep the strips physically intact.  This process eliminates most of the salt, as it is carried away by the juice.  Try to wring out as much juice as you can, transferring the completed strips over to the bowl with your prepared sauce.  Discard the juice.
  • Thoroughly mix, making sure to coat each strip in sauce.  If you have disposable gloves, you might want to wear them at this point.
  • You're done!  While your subak kimchi is ready immediately, it will continue to ferment and become more delicious over the next few days.  Store in the fridge in a tightly sealed container.
  • One common way to serve subak kimchi is putting a small pile on the side of a bowl of sticky rice, topped with a sunny-side egg.  If you're feeling masochistic, have a glass of soju (소주) with it!
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on June 23, 2022, 08:34:47 PM

Subak Kimchi (수박 김치)
Ingredients

• Four cups of watermelon rind
  • Half-cup of kosher salt
  • Six tablespoons red pepper powder
  • Three tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
  • Two tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
  • Two large garlic scapes, thinly sliced, or two cloves of garlic, minced, as preferred or available

Directions

• What do you do when you finish with your watermelon?  You eat the rind!  Four cups of watermelon rind is typically something like the rind of between 1/4 and 1/5 of a medium watermelon.  To prepare, first trim off any red flesh that you still see, and then use a knife or vegetable peeler to remove the waxy green outside.  You should be left with curved strips of white rind.  Slice these into very thin strips with a sharp knife or a mandolin.
  • Add your thin strips of rind to a large bowl, and then use your hand to stir them around while covering them in the salt.  You want each strip to get a liberal coating of salt.  If you need more salt, go nuts with it.  Don't worry -- most of that's going to be washed away!  Set this mixture aside.
  • In another large bowl, mix together all of the other ingredients.  You want to end up with a thick paste.  Add more or less sesame oil, as necessary to achieve this.
  • Once fifteen minutes have elapsed, begin squeezing out the watermelon rind.  It should already be sweating its juices, but you want to squeeze it tightly and wring out the rest of the liquid.  You can do this by the handful or use a cheesecloth, but don't use a mechanical press, since you want to keep the strips physically intact.  This process eliminates most of the salt, as it is carried away by the juice.  Try to wring out as much juice as you can, transferring the completed strips over to the bowl with your prepared sauce.  Discard the juice.
  • Thoroughly mix, making sure to coat each strip in sauce.  If you have disposable gloves, you might want to wear them at this point.
  • You're done!  While your subak kimchi is ready immediately, it will continue to ferment and become more delicious over the next few days.  Store in the fridge in a tightly sealed container.
  • One common way to serve subak kimchi is putting a small pile on the side of a bowl of sticky rice, topped with a sunny-side egg.  If you're feeling masochistic, have a glass of soju (소주) with it!

Another excellent recipe! Thanks Baron

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on June 23, 2022, 08:02:34 PM
I already sent you mom's spaghetti sauce, let me think and perhaps I can come up with another good one

Thanks Tric'hard. I still need to fix your earlier recipe for the Dreamy Chicken!

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Just a heads up we are still accepting recipes for Volume 2 of the Book of Cuisine.

Recent focus has been on Fora Talossa but we are hopeful to get the next volume published in the fourth quarter of this year.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on July 31, 2022, 09:44:17 PM
Just a heads up we are still accepting recipes for Volume 2 of the Book of Cuisine.

Recent focus has been on Fora Talossa but we are hopeful to get the next volume published in the fourth quarter of this year.

I know, I know...another drum being banged on by Breneir :)
For Talossan foodies, please consider submitting a recipe to Volume 2 of the Talossan Book of Cuisine.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

I want to publicly thank @Iason Taiwos for his recent recipe submission for Volume 2.
With his submission we are now up to a half-dozen recipes.
Hoping to get at least a few more before preparing publication with some of my own recipes.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight