Is ÉU a diphthong?

Started by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP, April 07, 2022, 06:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

This is something that has always bothered me: in the Ben-era documentation as well as during the post-Ben CÚG era, éu was always considered two seperate syllables. But, why is that? And why did the CÚG go out of its way to define éu and eu as two different things entirely, going so far as to define as a stress-marked version of eu and respelling words accordingly, which is the least intuitive spelling ever -- if anything wouldn't a spelling like peúmâ suggest a pronunciation of [pe.'umə] instead of ['pɪw.mə]? Where did the idea of spelling stressed [ɪw] (which as far as I can tell does not exist anywhere) as come from, anyway?

My own interpretation of éu and eu, that I've also added to the Recomendăs, is that they are the same diphthong. Instead of éu being two separate syllables, [ɪw] would just be the unstressed (or alternatively post-tonic) allophone of [ew], and monosyllablic words would retain the éu spelling simply for historical reasons.

I'd love to hear the CÚG's opinion on this, as this would be a major departure from pre-established practice.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

If someone knows how to contact the CÚG, please feel free to let me know.

I've decided to change the description of ÉU back to being two distinct syllables until the CÚG weigh in on this topic.