The Wheel Of Time (and Angel's Envy)

Started by Tric'hard Lenxheir, April 29, 2022, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Later tonight I will continue rereading my favorite series of books "The Wheel Of Time" by Robert Jordan. The world building in this series is incredible, Jordan doesn't concentrate as much on language as Tolkien did but the building of societies and nationalities is extremely rich. It is also my opinion that the television series based upon the books...well I think it is horrible. I understand that time constraints make it difficult to cover the book word for word but they skipped MAJOR parts of the book and even skipped introducing some major characters. It is a classic good v. evil and a coming of age story spanning 14 books (plus one prequel) and tonight I will be pairing it with a glass of Angel's Envy whiskey. Two great tastes that go great together.

Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

I couldn't really get into the Wheel of Time series. It might be the narrator, as I bought an Audible version of it as I like to have books to listen to while I drive in to work. I might try it again but this time reading it.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D.

So many good friends have politely pressured me to begin this sereis since my high school days that I think I will finally have to give it a try.
Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D., MC
Deputy Minister of Culture Select, Member of the 57th Cosa
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Whisky Society

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on April 29, 2022, 10:56:32 AM
I couldn't really get into the Wheel of Time series. It might be the narrator, as I bought an Audible version of it as I like to have books to listen to while I drive in to work. I might try it again but this time reading it.

I tried a couple of books on tape/cd many years ago. I hate them, I prefer to put my own voice to the characters.

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D. on April 29, 2022, 02:18:21 PM
So many good friends have politely pressured me to begin this sereis since my high school days that I think I will finally have to give it a try.

I hope you enjoy!

Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D.

For those who have read The Wheel of Time, if Lord of the Rings was primarily a meditation on the nature of evil and a lament for the loss of pastoral life in the face of dehumanizing industrialization, what would you identify as the themes of the Wheel of Time?
Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D., MC
Deputy Minister of Culture Select, Member of the 57th Cosa
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Whisky Society

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D. on May 02, 2022, 02:03:28 PM
For those who have read The Wheel of Time, if Lord of the Rings was primarily a meditation on the nature of evil and a lament for the loss of pastoral life in the face of dehumanizing industrialization, what would you identify as the themes of the Wheel of Time?

As I said in the original post it is a classic "Good vs. Evil" story and a "Coming of Age" story. It is a story of lost innocence (not sexual innocence). The author never really puts an age on the characters but based upon the fact that the main characters in the beginning are all living at home with parents I would place them in mid to late teens. They are thrust into a world they are completely unprepared for and have to grow mentally and emotionally. Each is destined for greatness in his or her own way...spoiler alert...not everyone survives.