Question on Seneschal Voting

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, May 01, 2022, 09:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Mr. Secretary, is this still the case concerning incomplete ranked votes?

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on September 21, 2020, 11:56:41 AM
Quote from: Açafat del Val on September 21, 2020, 10:08:37 AM
I should preface the below with this: Because the possible changes do not affect the outcome, there should be no reason to take further action; rather, it should be information to prevent a repeat in the future.

Unless there is some part of Talsosan law of which I am unaware (entirely possible), the default mode of counting in ranked-choice methods does not invalidate a vote merely because it indicated only one preference. Instead, the vote becomes 'exhausted' if its first choice is eliminated.

Therefore, Taiwos's vote should be / have been counted as a first-preference vote for Schiva.

The law quite clearly states "No member of the Cosâ may abstain in the election of a Seneschál, and shall rank on his ballot at least two distinct preferences, which itself shall be made public. (54RZ23)"

S:reu Taiwos only gave one preference thereby making his vote invalid under Organic Law.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Could you also confirm this?

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on May 01, 2022, 09:15:36 AM
I cast my vote for Brenier Tzaracompadra I assume I can only vote for the listed candidates so that would make my second choice pretty obvious

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on May 01, 2022, 09:28:17 AM
Mr. Secretary, is this still the case concerning incomplete ranked votes?

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on September 21, 2020, 11:56:41 AM
Quote from: Açafat del Val on September 21, 2020, 10:08:37 AM
I should preface the below with this: Because the possible changes do not affect the outcome, there should be no reason to take further action; rather, it should be information to prevent a repeat in the future.

Unless there is some part of Talsosan law of which I am unaware (entirely possible), the default mode of counting in ranked-choice methods does not invalidate a vote merely because it indicated only one preference. Instead, the vote becomes 'exhausted' if its first choice is eliminated.

Therefore, Taiwos's vote should be / have been counted as a first-preference vote for Schiva.

The law quite clearly states "No member of the Cosâ may abstain in the election of a Seneschál, and shall rank on his ballot at least two distinct preferences, which itself shall be made public. (54RZ23)"

S:reu Taiwos only gave one preference thereby making his vote invalid under Organic Law.

The law is pretty clear that two choices must be made. Each MC needs to list their first choice and their second choice. Those who have already voted without a second ranked choice I will reach out to and ask them to amend their votes before the end of the election cycle.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on May 01, 2022, 09:38:25 AM

I cast my vote for Brenier Tzaracompadra I assume I can only vote for the listed candidates so that would make my second choice pretty obvious

Although I can easily infer his meaning, MCs must be specific and name their choices.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 01, 2022, 10:48:44 AM

So do I have to vote for only the listed candidates or can I "write in" a candidate

Although I can easily infer his meaning, MCs must be specific and name their choices.
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir

Also, to clarify for everyone voting (although im sure of the answer), an MC can vote for any sitting MC, it doesn't have to be the proposed candidates from what i can tell from the quotes of Org law? So can make a free choice outside the two candidates (like i have done in my second vote) named? (again, i think this is the case, just thought this would be good to confirm)
Party Secretary of the Free Democrats of Talossa
https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?board=34.0
Talossans in Christ Church :-
http://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=294.0
Başbakan of Ataturk

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 01, 2022, 10:48:44 AM

Sorry my clarification was on whether voters can only vote for nominated candidates. Or can they vote for others as one MC has done.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Quote from: Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir on May 01, 2022, 11:04:09 AM
Also, to clarify for everyone voting (although im sure of the answer), an MC can vote for any sitting MC, it doesn't have to be the proposed candidates from what i can tell from the quotes of Org law? So can make a free choice outside the two candidates (like i have done in my second vote) named? (again, i think this is the case, just thought this would be good to confirm)

This is not correct. OrgLaw states " The candidates for each such election shall be nominated by each political party which shall have earned representation in the Cosâ at the most recent general election. (54RZ23) (55RZ22)". The only allowed candidates are those nominated by the parties.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Please allow me to be clear: MCs must list a first and second choice, and they may only vote on candidates nominated by the parties. Any other vote is invalid and will not be counted until corrected.

I must follow the Organic Law folks.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 01, 2022, 12:01:33 PM
Please allow me to be clear: MCs must list a first and second choice, and they may only vote on candidates nominated by the parties. Any other vote is invalid and will not be counted until corrected.

I must follow the Organic Law folks.

Thank you for clarifying.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir

I'm not sure the interpretation by the secretary of state is correct, as yes, organic law does say that political parties nominate candidates for the election, and that it is a ranked choice vote, but it doesn't say that MC's can ONLY vote for the candidates presented to the Cosa, it just says, that MC's votes must be ranked choice and vote for at least two candidates, but the law as written, doesn't explicitly state that the only choices for Seneschal are the ones presented by the parties, from what i understand from reading the said laws, Also, if i recall correctly, last time we had the elections of Seneschal, we weren't constrained purely by the choices from the parties.

But yeah, from what i can tell, as the law isnt specific enough, from my own reading there is enough leeway in the law to allow other votes to be cast. And
QuoteNo member of the Cosâ may abstain in the election of a Seneschál, and shall rank on his/her ballot at least two distinct preferences, which itself shall be made public. (54RZ23)
, doesn't specify that we have to vote only for the candidates presented, just that we need to make two distinct choices.

I will respect your decision, although i honestly find the thought of casting my second vote for the other candidate abhorrent and distasteful, in the matter, but i thought id point out these things, and share my thoughts (and explain why i thought as i did) with all anyway.
Party Secretary of the Free Democrats of Talossa
https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?board=34.0
Talossans in Christ Church :-
http://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=294.0
Başbakan of Ataturk

Quote from: Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir on May 01, 2022, 12:22:42 PM
I'm not sure the interpretation by the secretary of state is correct, as yes, organic law does say that political parties nominate candidates for the election, and that it is a ranked choice vote, but it doesn't say that MC's can ONLY vote for the candidates presented to the Cosa, it just says, that MC's votes must be ranked choice and vote for at least two candidates, but the law as written, doesn't explicitly state that the only choices for Seneschal are the ones presented by the parties, from what i understand from reading the said laws, Also, if i recall correctly, last time we had the elections of Seneschal, we weren't constrained purely by the choices from the parties.

But yeah, from what i can tell, as the law isnt specific enough, from my own reading there is enough leeway in the law to allow other votes to be cast. And
QuoteNo member of the Cosâ may abstain in the election of a Seneschál, and shall rank on his/her ballot at least two distinct preferences, which itself shall be made public. (54RZ23)
, doesn't specify that we have to vote only for the candidates presented, just that we need to make two distinct choices.

I will respect your decision, although i honestly find the thought of casting my second vote for the other candidate abhorrent and distasteful, in the matter, but i thought id point out these things, and share my thoughts (and explain why i thought as i did) with all anyway.

I respect your views, but unless I'm corrected in my interpretation by a judge, I'm going to continue with what I believe is the plain meaning of the law. The first time we did this only party leaders could be candidates. That was a bigger headache let me tell you.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 01, 2022, 12:50:23 PM

I respect your views, but unless I'm corrected in my interpretation by a judge, I'm going to continue with what I believe is the plain meaning of the law. The first time we did this only party leaders could be candidates. That was a bigger headache let me tell you.

I believe the simplest way to fix this is to change the rules to allow voting for a single candidate as the current rules basically require people to vote against their own party and the philosophies of said party. Or simply have the party in power name a seneschal because in this case it really is not electing anyone.
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on May 01, 2022, 12:54:12 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 01, 2022, 12:50:23 PM

I believe the simplest way to fix this is to change the rules to allow voting for a single candidate as the current rules basically require people to vote against their own party and the philosophies of said party. Or simply have the party in power name a seneschal because in this case it really is not electing anyone.

The OrgLaw must be amended if people want to change the process. It's doable but it won't affect this election.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on May 01, 2022, 12:54:12 PM

Yes, it used to be that the party/parties who formed a majority would name their candidate for Seneschal.  But a year ago or so, this process was changed, adding a full month onto a Cosa term to accommodate this voting process.

http://www.talossa.ca/files/bills.php?cosa=54&bill=23

It remains unclear to me exactly why this was necessary.  As far as I can tell, it's a lot of time to spend engaged in a show vote that arrives at the exact same conclusion -- unless someone defects, which I am otherwise assured is outrageous and shouldn't be allowed.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein