News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Request An Informal Legal Opinion/spitballing

Started by Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D., May 02, 2022, 07:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D.

As I was reading some filings for an ongoing case before the Cort, it was argued that the Witt is only mandated for governmental use and purpose and only offers social engagement as a by product. Further, it stated that social sub boards and elements of the Witt exist at the Secretary of State's judgment and can be restricted or outright removed at any time. Is this an accurate statement? Could some future SoS, not the current one of course, use said power legally, resulting in an easy way to exert political pressure or exact some form of revenge? All while remaining completely legal.
Antonio Montagnha, Ed. D., MC
Deputy Minister of Culture Select, Member of the 57th Cosa
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Whisky Society

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

That would be against the law, as solicitation to bribery.  It's a felony and could bring a penalty as harsh as banishment and expulsion.  You can't demand someone do something for you under threat of abusing your power:

Solicitation. Whoever induces or attempts to induce any other Talossan to break the Law of Talossa is guilty of the same class of offence as that which they sought to induce. (Lexh.7.2.7)

Bribery. The felony of bribery is committed by: Anyone who offers any officer of the Kingdom or witness in a Court case anything of value in return for the performance of their official duties or to influence their testimony. (Lexh.7.2.9)

It would work in a weird way -- the official would be getting in trouble for trying to get you to agree to bribe them -- but I think it would hold up.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein