News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

[Technology] Domain names

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, June 02, 2022, 09:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

In the run-up to the 57th Cosa Budget, MinTech has been looking at the domain names we currently hold, apart from of course talossa.com:

kingdomoftalossa.com
kingdomoftalossa.org
kingdomoftalossa.net
talossa.net
talossan.com

The first three redirect straight back to the main website. The Government has already signalled our interest in closing down the barely-used talossa.net social networking site. The last domain name leads to an out-of-date website on the national language which confuses a lot of people - does anyone remember who actually runs it? I have a sinking feeling it might be former citizen Sevastáin Pinátsch.

The Cabinet's draft decision is that these domain names are no longer worth holding onto, in light of the above - but it seems good to get public consultation on the issue.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

xpb

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 02, 2022, 09:52:24 PM
In the run-up to the 57th Cosa Budget, MinTech has been looking at the domain names we currently hold, apart from of course talossa.com:

kingdomoftalossa.com
kingdomoftalossa.org
kingdomoftalossa.net
talossa.net
talossan.com

The first three redirect straight back to the main website. The Government has already signalled our interest in closing down the barely-used talossa.net social networking site. The last domain name leads to an out-of-date website on the national language which confuses a lot of people - does anyone remember who actually runs it? I have a sinking feeling it might be former citizen Sevastáin Pinátsch.

The Cabinet's draft decision is that these domain names are no longer worth holding onto, in light of the above - but it seems good to get public consultation on the issue.

What is the platform that Talossa.net leverages?  If the government does not wish to do system administration on that, perhaps I could learn if that is the issue.  I'm assuming the government just wants to redirect talossa.net back to the main website and not abandon the URL?

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

does anyone remember who actually runs it?
Hooligan does.  Last month, he and Tafi got together about it to discuss what they want to do with it for renewing it.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 02, 2022, 09:52:24 PMI have a sinking feeling it might be former citizen Sevastáin Pinátsch.
...what?  When did he renounce his citizenship?

Also, we should find out how much inbound traffic comes from those links before we abandon them.  I would guess that it's a lot in at least some of those cases.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

I have a sinking feeling it might be former citizen Sevastáin Pinátsch.

Sevastáin Pinátsch is still a citizen, though he last voted in the 55th Cosa and may lose his citizenship in a future cycle.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: xpb on June 02, 2022, 10:32:55 PM
What is the platform that Talossa.net leverages?  If the government does not wish to do system administration on that, perhaps I could learn if that is the issue.

If you're really interested in taking over, I suggest you talk to @Lüc about getting the database and files transferred out of the national webspace and onto a server you control. The domain name has already been redirected.

QuoteI'm assuming the government just wants to redirect talossa.net back to the main website and not abandon the URL?

Well, the Government is seeking discussion on whether we want to hang on to (pay for) so many domain names.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The current thinking in the Government is that we should keep (in addition to talossa.com) talossa.net as a redirect; and talossan.com seeing as the Ladintsch Naziunal is currently getting that updated.

If there isn't a grand popular upsurge to keep the "kingdomoftalossa.*" domain names, the Government is minded to let that lapse and therefore save ourself half our domain name bill. I understand the problem of "domain name squatting", but if an enemy of our State is determined enough to get their hands on a Talossa-related domain name, I don't see how we can cover all possibilities.

It seems very foolish to let kot.net lapse without checking to see how much inbound traffic it accounts for.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Do you have clue one about how we would actually go about that? Because I certainly don't, and neither of the Govt's "casual on-call tech experts" seem to be answering my messages at the moment

It's not something I could talk you through doing casually.  A quick glance seems to show that 89 domains are still referring traffic to kot.net, versus 130 for the talossa.com.