The Let’s Make This Official Act

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, June 07, 2022, 09:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breneir Tzaracomprada

The Let's Make This Official Act

Whereas, the Kingdom recognizes the importance of celebrating important dates and events in Talossan history, and

Whereas, Reunision as the re-uniting of kingdom and republican Talossans marks an incredibly important moment in the history of Talossa, and

Whereas, the day in which King John issued the Proclamation of Reunision, April 20, certainly qualifies for elevation from a day of observance to an official national holiday.

Therefore be it resolved that a new subsection is placed at El Lexhatx F 2.4, with any necessary renumbering of following subsections, to read:

Quote20 April. Reunision Day. Commemorating the royal proclamation of Reunision and the end of the Third Schism.

Uréu q'estadra så
Breneir Tzaracomprada (Sen-FL, TNC)
Baron Alexandreu Davinescu (MC-TNC)

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I would love to co-sponsor this.  Reunision was one of the most important events in our history, and we should treat its memory as such.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Honestly, for many of us of Republican heritage, Reunision was more a defeat than a victory; or, probably more accurate, a day of somber reflection rather than one of celebration, like Armistice Day.

Let's put Calonda Gün (1 June, the date of the founding of the Talossan Republic) on the celebration list as well as the date of its dissolution.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

From a "fresh" perspective, I personally view Reunison a day for celebration just like the father of the prodigal son celebrated when his son returned to him. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2015:11-31&version=ESV

I don't understand why Reunison would be a somber day. The republic was not dissolved, it was re-integrated! America doesn't celebrate the start of the Civil War, I don't see why Talossa should celebrate the beginning of the the Talossan Republic.

But again, I didn't go through it, so I understand if emotions and viewpoints on the matter differ.
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 08, 2022, 03:27:11 PM
Honestly, for many of us of Republican heritage, Reunision was more a defeat than a victory; or, probably more accurate, a day of somber reflection rather than one of celebration, like Armistice Day.

Let's put Calonda Gün (1 June, the date of the founding of the Talossan Republic) on the celebration list as well as the date of its dissolution.

If the author of the bill isn't going to take on my suggestion, I should put it in a separate bill

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat on June 08, 2022, 04:51:59 PM
From a "fresh" perspective, I personally view Reunison a day for celebration just like the father of the prodigal son celebrated when his son returned to him.

The prodigal son admitted he had screwed up badly and was begging his father's forgiveness, which was freely given. That is... not what happened with Reunision, and anyone who tells you it is is massively biased to a Monarchist point of view.

It feels really weird to think about celebrating one of the great and tragic schisms in our history. I would not feel comfortable voting for that. While it might have been justified, it doesn't seem like a thing to celebrate.

On the other hand, Reunision was the merging of two equals into a united future to help sustain a dream together. Definitely something to celebrate.

I have never thought of it in terms of a conquest or capitulation, because it explicitly was not.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on June 13, 2022, 06:13:54 PMOn the other hand, Reunision was the merging of two equals into a united future to help sustain a dream together. Definitely something to celebrate.

As the Baron has eloquently stated, I can say, this is what the bill proposes to celebrate. And is the reason why I was excited to celebrate the first decade of Reunision.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Miestră Schivă, UrN

A history lesson, then: if there were no Republican schism on June 1, 2004, there would be no sudden "180-degree" turn by King Robert to open the immigration floodgates, after years of very tight control. KR1 would have not felt the urgent need to prevail on Fritz von Buchholtz to immigrate, and to bring all his friends with him. Without the Republican schism, then, no Fritz; no John Woolley; no Manus Hand. And no new opposition that finally politically defeated KR1 in August 2005. No Talossa, as we know it today.

That's what we need to celebrate, as well as Reunision. This is a simple "parity of esteem" issue for the other Talossan cultural tradition. But I have my answer.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 14, 2022, 04:11:41 PM
A history lesson, then: if there were no Republican schism on June 1, 2004, there would be no sudden "180-degree" turn by King Robert to open the immigration floodgates, after years of very tight control. KR1 would have not felt the urgent need to prevail on Fritz von Buchholtz to immigrate, and to bring all his friends with him. Without the Republican schism, then, no Fritz; no John Woolley; no Manus Hand. And no new opposition that finally politically defeated KR1 in August 2005. No Talossa, as we know it today.

That's what we need to celebrate, as well as Reunision. This is a simple "parity of esteem" issue for the other Talossan cultural tradition. But I have my answer.

I am appreciative of your viewpoint on this issue, Miestra, and thank you for both the history review and the alternative proposal just published which closely mirrors my own. I only speak for myself, in the case, but I support the initial Act creating Reunision Day as a national holiday, as I believe it is an inclusive reflection of reunification as a positive moment in Talossan history. The holiday could be celebrated in diverse ways to accommodate the variety of viewpoints and feelings among Kingdom citizens though.

If there are no suggestions for changes to the Act before the 17th of June I will move it to the CRL.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 14, 2022, 04:11:41 PM
I mean, that's all true, but it doesn't mean that the painful schism is a thing to celebrate. It's also true that none of that stuff would have happened if King Robert hadn't been earnestly interested in fascism for years and kept his interest in the country alive by turning it into a fascist state for a time, but that doesn't mean we celebrate fascism. Arguably none of this would have happened to begin with if the man's mother hadn't died when he was young, but there's nothing on the calendar for that.

If we are recasting all of this history so that now Reunision was a moment of surrender, when the Republic capitulated and that tradition ended, I think it will be a really sad thing and not at all in the spirit of the real history, as it happened. It was a joining of two equal Talossan traditions. And I think that's what we would be saying if we said that we needed a holiday to celebrate the start of the schism between Talossans as well as its ending.

If you do feel that way though, I can understand how you might feel like this bill would just be rubbing your face in that capitulation. But we don't want to end up in a position where this is getting addressed again next term once a few seats have changed hands, and I think that's where we're headed with competing bills. Is there a way to compromise? One thing that occurs to me is that we could have a holiday on the anniversary of Reunision, but specifically call it Republic Day to make clear that it is a celebration not only of the ending of a painful separation, but also a celebration of a proud Talossan tradition and heritage. Would that be acceptable to you? And would that be acceptable to you, Breneir?