Sense of the Ziu: Ukraine and China

Started by Ian Plätschisch, July 10, 2022, 08:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Plätschisch

WHEREAS Russia's aggression against Ukraine and China's genocide of the Uyghurs are very worthy of being condemned, and

WHEREAS TNC MC Tzaracomprada has introduced Senses of the Ziu condemning them, and

WHEREAS Despite his eloquent writing, MC Tzaracomprada's true motivation for introducing these Senses is likely to politically embarrass the Free Democrats for their ongoing boycott of TNC legislation, and

WHEREAS The evidence of this is that he has not introduced any similar Senses in the previous several Cosas, despite (unfortunately) there being plenty of bad things going on in the world which could have been condemned, and

WHEREAS I reject the use of sanctions because they disproportionally harm the poor of every nation they are inflicted on, while exerting almost no influence on the governments of those nations, and

WHEREAS Because I am removing the endorsement of sanctions from MC Tzaracomprada's original Sense concerning Russia's war in Ukraine, this is a substantively different bill and not a straight copy

THEREFORE Be it resolved that the Ziu of the Kingdom of Talossa:

Supports the people of Ukraine in their fight to repel invaders and re-establish self-determination

Encourages the International Criminal Court to investigate war crimes committed by Russian invaders

Condemns the Russian blockade of Ukrainian wheat as an terrible disruption of peaceful commerce which could plunge millions into starvation

Recognizes the treatment of Uyghurs by the Chinese Communist Party as a genocide and encourages other countries to do the same

Calls on the applicable human rights organizations to investigate this genocide

Ureu q'estadra sa:
Ian Plätschisch (Sen-MM)

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Seneschal, you are mistaken about the motivation but your partisanship-based assumption does not surprise me given your recent behavior.

I have proposed Senses of the Ziu on climate change, gender equality, and UN leadership. I have further proposed establishment of the former Human Rights Day national holiday and acts supporting democratic uprisings in Burma. So my current proposals are a part of long personal tradition here in Talossa.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

So the legislative blockade is... well, kind of a sham, huh!  As soon as it becomes too embarrassing, it's set aside and the Seneschal slaps his name on a TNC proposal.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on July 10, 2022, 08:01:52 PM
WHEREAS Russia's aggression against Ukraine and China's genocide of the Uyghurs are very worthy of being condemned, and

WHEREAS TNC MC Tzaracomprada has introduced Senses of the Ziu condemning them, and

WHEREAS Despite his eloquent writing, MC Tzaracomprada's true motivation for introducing these Senses is likely to politically embarrass the Free Democrats for their ongoing boycott of TNC legislation, and

WHEREAS The evidence of this is that he has not introduced any similar Senses in the previous several Cosas, despite (unfortunately) there being plenty of bad things going on in the world which could have been condemned, and

WHEREAS I reject the use of sanctions because they disproportionally harm the poor of every nation they are inflicted on, while exerting almost no influence on the governments of those nations, and

WHEREAS Because I am removing the endorsement of sanctions from MC Tzaracomprada's original Sense concerning Russia's war in Ukraine, this is a substantively different bill and not a straight copy

THEREFORE Be it resolved that the Ziu of the Kingdom of Talossa:

Supports the people of Ukraine in their fight to repel invaders and re-establish self-determination

Encourages the International Criminal Court to investigate war crimes committed by Russian invaders

Condemns the Russian blockade of Ukrainian wheat as an terrible disruption of peaceful commerce which could plunge millions into starvation

Recognizes the treatment of Uyghurs by the Chinese Communist Party as a genocide and encourages other countries to do the same

Calls on the applicable human rights organizations to investigate this genocide

Ureu q'estadra sa:
Ian Plätschisch (Sen-MM)

While I try to be open minded and avoid the political games the major parties play I feel I must comment on this and point out the obvious attempt to insult and embarrass  the TNC here. Whether MC Tzaracomprada had submitted other Senses in the past has no bearing upon the fact that he DID submit both of the items mentioned in your Sense. Furthermore you have also attacked me personally as I was listed as a cosponsor. This makes me believe that you wish to make a political enemy of me despite the fact that I have voted for and against acts submitted by each party. I find this shameful on the part of the Seneschal!
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on July 10, 2022, 09:22:54 PM
So the legislative blockade is... well, kind of a sham, huh!  As soon as it becomes too embarrassing, it's set aside and the Seneschal slaps his name on a TNC proposal.
Imagine what you'd be saying if the FreeDems didn't provide this replacement: "I can't believe that the Free Democrats idolize Vladimir Putin, pine for the reconstitution of the Soviet Union, and rejoice at the organized slaughter of Uyghurs."

The FreeDems are taking a principled stand on our boycott of TNC legislation, are we won't fall into the trap set by the TNC to end it.

So you are swearing to oppose all legislation proposed by the TNC, unless it would be too embarrassing to do so?

And you're calling that... a "principled stand."
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

"I will not abandon my principled stand to stay on this hunger strike until the prisoners are freed, with only occasional exceptions for lunch."

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on July 10, 2022, 09:37:09 PM
While I try to be open minded and avoid the political games the major parties play I feel I must comment on this and point out the obvious attempt to insult and embarrass  the TNC here. Whether MC Tzaracomprada had submitted other Senses in the past has no bearing upon the fact that he DID submit both of the items mentioned in your Sense. Furthermore you have also attacked me personally as I was listed as a cosponsor. This makes me believe that you wish to make a political enemy of me despite the fact that I have voted for and against acts submitted by each party. I find this shameful on the part of the Seneschal!
It's unfortunate it came across this way.

From the FreeDem perspective, MC Tzaracomprada's Senses were really an attempt to insult and embarrass the Free Democrats. All of the sudden, after years of not proposing anything, he suddenly proposes these Senses. It would be so easy to paint any opposition to them as cruel (see my post above), that I can't help but think that was the intention.

The reason for the boycott is very clear; the TNC promised their voters that they would propose Monarchy reform, and they have stubbornly refused to do so. All of this is simply an attempt to distract from that.

I did not mean to attack you personally.

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on July 10, 2022, 09:57:28 PM
"I will not abandon my principled stand to stay on this hunger strike until the prisoners are freed, with only occasional exceptions for lunch."
I must admit I laughed at this.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I think there's a point being missed here. The Seneschál has a substantive problem with the TNC's "Senses", in that he doesn't agree that sanctions are useful. I'm not sure I agree with that, but I think both sides have to resile from mutual accusation of "you're only doing this to make us look bad".

... but, honestly, aren't we all trying to make each other look bad? To humiliate, embarrass, and infuriate each other?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on July 10, 2022, 09:57:58 PM
Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on July 10, 2022, 09:37:09 PM
It's unfortunate it came across this way.

From the FreeDem perspective, MC Tzaracomprada's Senses were really an attempt to insult and embarrass the Free Democrats. All of the sudden, after years of not proposing anything, he suddenly proposes these Senses. It would be so easy to paint any opposition to them as cruel (see my post above), that I can't help but think that was the intention.

The reason for the boycott is very clear; the TNC promised their voters that they would propose Monarchy reform, and they have stubbornly refused to do so. All of this is simply an attempt to distract from that.

I did not mean to attack you personally.

In my personal opinion this blockade is childish and unhelpful. As I have said I have voted for and against items from both parties. I have submitted one act which I now see has zero chance of being approved despite the fact that in the grand scheme it means absolutely nothing, just because the TNC was the first party to offer me a seat. The FreeDems also offered me a seat but I chose to accept the TNC's offer simply because they were first. I am appalled by the sad behavior by both parties at times but this is not only childish it is in many ways plagiarism. Changing a couple of words does not change the act itself. This is an attack on me, on Breneir and on democracy!
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Have you wondered, Tric'hard, why you are calling it a "blockade" rather than a boycott? If you think about that for a moment, you might begin to understand why the FreeDems have been forced to take such action.

And no-one ever suggested boycotting your bill precisely because, as you say, you're not a TNC member. You are believing things which aren't true because... someone told you so?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Tric'hard with respect to the Senses of the Ziu I am hopeful they will be passed in the first clark after the next election since they are being blocked by the FDT and the PdR during this Cosa. I am gratified that the FDT found exceptions in their blockade so that your first bill might be passed.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Tierçéu Rôibeardescù

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 10, 2022, 10:17:26 PM
... but, honestly, aren't we all trying to make each other look bad? To humiliate, embarrass, and infuriate each other?

God I hope not... Gross
Túischac'h of the 55th Cosa
MC, 55th Cosa, League of Center Conservatives
Secretary-General of the League of centre conservatives
Member of the L'Etats de Cézembre

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Txosuè Éiric Rôibeardescù on July 11, 2022, 06:40:57 PM
Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 10, 2022, 10:17:26 PM

God I hope not... Gross

What do you think the role of an opposition in a parliamentary democracy should be?