[CRL] The Nonpartisan SOS Entrenchment Act

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, August 17, 2022, 09:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breneir Tzaracomprada

The Nonpartisan SOS Entrenchment Act

Whereas, the Secretary of State (SOS) position is one of the most prestigious in Talossa bestowed with great power and responsibility, and

Whereas, the SOS position is by norm, tradition and, based on the first whereas clause, necessity considered nonpartisan, and

Whereas, the current SOS acts as party leader for the Free Democrats, and

Whereas, this situation is in direct conflict with the norm that the SOS is nonpartisan and could create a potentially dangerous precedent for future SOSs who may not be as honorable and morally upright as the incumbent, and

Whereas, this measure to address this precedent is not an effort to impugn the character, stain the honor and good work of the current SOS, or officially accuse the SOS of a crime and therefore not a bill of attainder, and

Whereas, to demonstrate this, the proposed measure addressing this precedent will only take effect upon the end of the current SOS term.

Therefore, be it resolved, that upon the resignation, dismissal, or death of the incumbent Secretary of State, Dr. Txec dal Nordselva, the following amendment shall be made to section 5 of Title C, so as to read:

Quote5. The Secretary of State shall hold no seat in the Ziu. The Secretary of State shall hold no position of leadership in a political party or other partisan organization.

Uréu q'estadra så:
Breneir Tzaracomprada (Sen-FL, TNC)
Baron Alexandreu Davinescu (MC, TNC)

@Miestră Schivă, UrN @Baron Alexandreu Davinescu @Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Submitting for CRL review

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on August 17, 2022, 09:24:46 AM
The Nonpartisan SOS Entrenchment Act

Whereas, the Secretary of State (SOS) position is one of the most prestigious in Talossa bestowed with great power and responsibility, and

Whereas, the SOS position is by norm, tradition and, based on the first whereas clause, necessity considered nonpartisan, and

Whereas, the current SOS acts as party leader for the Free Democrats, and

Whereas, this situation is in direct conflict with the norm that the SOS is nonpartisan and could create a potentially dangerous precedent for future SOSs who may not be as honorable and morally upright as the incumbent, and

Whereas, this measure to address this precedent is not an effort to impugn the character, stain the honor and good work of the current SOS, or officially accuse the SOS of a crime and therefore not a bill of attainder, and

Whereas, to demonstrate this, the proposed measure addressing this precedent will only take effect upon the end of the current SOS term.

Therefore, be it resolved, that upon the resignation, dismissal, or death of the incumbent Secretary of State, Dr. Txec dal Nordselva, the following amendment shall be made to section 5 of Title C, so as to read:

Quote5. The Secretary of State shall hold no seat in the Ziu. The Secretary of State shall hold no position of leadership in a political party or other partisan organization.

Uréu q'estadra så:
Breneir Tzaracomprada (Sen-FL, TNC)

Submitting for CRL review

Is this going to be reviewed?

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Looks fine to me. And actually, while we're looking at it, would you please add me as a co-sponsor?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on August 20, 2022, 08:15:08 PM
Looks fine to me. And actually, while we're looking at it, would you please add me as a co-sponsor?

Done. Thank you Baron

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

In terms of the mechanics of this Bill, I don't see anything wrong with it.  It seems pretty straightforward.

I do wonder if it might fall afoul of Right of Assembly, but that's for the CPI to hash out should it ever come to that.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu on August 22, 2022, 08:28:14 AM
In terms of the mechanics of this Bill, I don't see anything wrong with it.  It seems pretty straightforward.

I do wonder if it might fall afoul of Right of Assembly, but that's for the CPI to hash out should it ever come to that.

@Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu Thank you ESB. Should this law be passed I would welcome any party to test it via the CPI.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight